Fleetwood in old picture postcards volume 1
Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.
Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.
39. In 1885 Wyre Doek was handling extensive imports of grain, wood, cotton, ore and wood pulp from foreign ports, The zenith of this trade was reached in 1892 when it was quite usual to see the doek so fuil of vessels that no more could enter until one had departed and a system of flags was used to denote this. One hundred and eighteen sailing vessels arrived in port in 1894 and and thirty-two steam vessels. Wood pulp imports were transferred in 1895 to Preston and Manchester. The Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway erected a huge grain elevator on the east side of the doek at a cost of :Ls2,OOO. Sixty pounds was spent inlaying the end walls with 'Fleetwood Grain Elevator 1882', letters visible over a mile away.
40. It was not unusual after a severe, sudden storm to see the fleet of smacks whieh used beam trawls limping back with their sails tom to ribbons. On one occasion in 1898 Beaver, Comet and Leader retumed iced up, in great danger of keeling over with the additional weight, but they made the dangerous passage back to Jubilee Quay, This group at Jubilee Quay, in 1901, are in calmer waters and include FD 21 White Rose, owned by Richard Leadbetter and built at Freckleton. Arnongst other smacks that year were FD 1 Ezra, 115 Oyster Girl, 13 Christina, 10 Margaret Agnes, 130 Lord Marmion, 17 Onward, 160 Cornet, 51 Ida, 68 Wonder, 25 Ariel, 52 Osprey, 99 Red Rose, to mention but a few. There were also forty prawners including FD 3 Venture, 9 Water Lily, 14 Sea King, 22 Dart, 27 Fox, 35 Lizzie, 96 Agnes, 137 Seagull, 158 Annie. Amongst the men and boys ashore, smack and prawner spatting was a hobby popular before train spatting.
41. Over fifty lives were lost in the gale that swept Britain on October 27-28 1927. It was the worst within living memory and of these nearly thirty were fishermen caught in the storm whilst fishing off the Irish coast. In the floods at Fleetwood four caravan dwellers perished and the whole town was isolated. F1eetwood trawlers in Icelandic waters heard the news over the wireless and were in great fear for their families. The town, plunged into darkness, was devastated, with 1,223 houses flooded and damage estimated at :t100,OOO. The only way to get food to the marooned townspeople was by baat. All transport by roador rail was at standstill. This postcard shows what was called the 'Leeds Convoy', when lorries, cars and vehicles of all description set out from that city laden with food and clothing. Here they have arrived outside the town hall. Upper and Lower Queen's Terrace, still there can be seen in the background. The tall, three-storey building on the corner is na longer a post office and has a much altered frontage as a club.
42. In 1906 the miners' strike caused Wyre Doek to be idle. Duke of Clarence and Duke of Connaught are shown tied up in the immediate foreground and behind is a row of steam trawlers unable to leave port because all were dependent on coal for their engines. A true story of Fleetwood of 1921 recalis a time known as 'Klondyke'. Wyre Doek hadjust received one of its periodic scourings to rid the base of old fish boxes, basses, pound boards, fishing gear and other rubbish that accumulated in its murky depths. That day's haul had brought up fifty tons of coal, lost over many months whilst coaling for every voyage by using double chutes. Inevitably some lumps fell overboard in the process, between the lines of trawlers waiting their turn before setting off for Iceland or Faroes. Although ordered to dump in Lune Deeps, the dregger skipper dropped the coal on the mussei beds for collecting by the townspeople.
43. The market is one institution that has never lost its popularity and has thus proved a good souree of revenue for the town. This postcard from 1908 has many interesting features, not least the pleasantly-designed gas lamp in the foreground, which would now form a collecter's item. The eattle pens were onee filled with beasts brought across on the Irish boats. These have gone, as have the old wooden buildings, which were replaeed with a market hall built of Longridge stone, The Whitworth Institute, with steep pitehed roof and tall chimneys at its gable ends, became the Fielden Free Library. 'Open every night' refers to the Queen's Theatre, which billed the celebrities of the day and where lectures and sometimes meetings were held. Land and market rights were eventually sold to the town for f6,750 in 1889, the Commissioners driving a hard bargain, for ssoo of that for slaughterhouses.
44. This posteard from 1899 has some splendid detail showing the Pleasure Baat stage and Esplanade. The small building on the left marked 'Customs Wateh House' was used as a boarding station for ships after the deeline of the port when F1eetwood was demoted and plaeed under Preston. The cannons placed at intervals along the Esplanade are ornamental and originated at Tulketh Hall, Preston. Clearly showing is the new, white plinth of the monument erected by public subscription to the memory of James Abram and George Greenall who lost their lives in the storm of 1890 heroically helping to save others. A charming drinking fountain topped by a cherub is also discernible to the left of the lamp post in the middle distance. Bath monument and fountain are still there, the latter now under a preservation order. Just behind the pleasure boat's sail ean be seen the old wooden lifeboat house, now demolished.
45. At 2.15 a.m. on February 20th 1906 during a strong N.N.W. gale and very heavy surf. The lifeboat Maude Pickup was Iaunched to a vessel in distress off Rossall Point. In the face of the gale and heavy hall showers, with much difficulty owing to heavy surf and shaliow water, the lifeboatmen reached Old Hunter of Barrow-in-Furness which was bound from Liverpool to Mevagissey with a cargo of co al. The crew of four hands was rescued and brought to harbour. As Maude Pickup was being Iaunched signals of distress had also been observed coming from the schooner Maggie Kelso of Dalbeattie, bound for Liverpool with general cargo, which had grounded on North Wharf. As soon as she had landed the crew of the üld Hunter the lifeboat was agaln towed to sea. The wreek was in very shallow water but Maude Pickup got alongside and took the crew of three aboard. Maggie Kelso refloated on the next flowing tide and the lifeboat had to set off a third time to check her dangerous progress. Six lifeboatmen boarded and brought her safely to harbour. This was all in the day's work when it was too wild to go fishing. Uoyd's Register of 1880 described Old Hunter as a wooden schooner, copper fastened, timbers salted except beams, 95 gross tons, 81.1 ft. length, 21.1 ft breadth, built at Berwick by Gowan in 1877. Her owners were J. Fisher & Sans, Barrow.
46. When this photograph was taken in 1930 Rossall School, which commenced as the Northern Church of England School, had been established for almost a hundred years. Starting from the nucleus of Rossall Hall, the first boys had arrived in 1844 when Sir Peter's library was the common room, the servants' hall the needie room, the coach house the office, the dove co te the sanatorium and the chernistry lecture room was where com was once ground. The big square was a green meadow. The tower or gazebo (behind the rugby posts) is now the only roman tic reminder and original part of Rossall Hall to be seen in this picture, apart from the cobble wall. Lady Fleetwood's ghost with a string of blood-curdling stories are associated and attempts to knook it down have been strongly resisted. The gazebo is approached by a steep, long flight of steps and was originally one of a pair.
47. These members of Fleetwood Subscription Bowling Club must be arnongst the club's founders, pictured about 1894, and may be MI. J. Lawrenson, Mr. S.W. Pollitt and Mr. J. Henderson, on President's Day, but this is by no means sure. They are obviously serious players standing outside the club's first premises on the site that used to be the archery ground not far from Queen's Terrace and the second railway station. Three football teams, a cricket club, tennis club - all these played a part in the tewn's nineteenth and twentieth centuries' sporting life. Hare coursing was popular but with a bag of forty hares at each meet this would no doubt reduce numbers until they were too scarce to hunt. The second annual walking contest was held in 1902 and these were kept up for a number of years, held in Memorial Park. Ploughing matches and horse racing on the sands were also popular and as soon as the bicycle arrived cycling clubs proliferated, the flat countryside being ideal for this recreation. G. Johnson of Albert Square sold tandems and motors, his motto being: 'You must either bike or mote.' Timberlake cycles 'best in the world' were sold at W. Edge's Cycle Depot on West Street in 1906, together with Rovers, Singers and all leading makes. Presurnably, what the community did not want to do in their spare time (apart from the boys) was to go fishing.
48. In 1892 Richard Edmundson made application under the General Pier and Harbour Act to construct a pier at Fleetwood. The F1eetwood Victoria Pier Company was registered on January 11th although not until 1906 was Tom G. Lumb's Prospectus and Plan issued. Gradwells of Barrow were the builders. On Whit Monday 1910 it was opened, coinciding with another great attraction - the exhibition of a convict ship at Jubilee Quay, which had come all the way from Australia. The pier had a new pavilion the following year and more improvements in 1930 with a new Fleetwood Pier Company coming into being in 1936. The Moorish pavilions at the en trance have disappeared and it is now much shorter and far less picturesque than it used to beo The original 'clucking hen' which laid eggs when fed money is still preserved, but 'What the butler saw' has been presented to a London museum.