Aldershot in old picture postcards
Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.
Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.
29. The institute contained a large refreshment bar, whilst the accommodation upstairs included a Reading Room, Writing Room, Music Room, Sleeping accommodation, a Chapel of Ease, and a magnificent Billiards Room, containing three first-class tables erected as a memorial to Lieutenant-Colonel J.B. Walker, an Honorary Seeretary of the Institute. The Music Room contained a number of fine oil paintings by old masters. The refreshment bar was a meeting place for 'old comrades'. A certain number of civilians could also beoome members and the hot baths were open to the public. The institute was managed by a Committee comprised of serving and retired officers, non-cornmissioned officers and civilians and supported by the Chaplains (Church of England), both civil and military. There were a large number of donations received from time to time of treasured gifts such as portraits from Queen Victoria, King Edward VII, Queen Alexandra, The Duke of Connaught and the Duke of Cambridge, prints, books, an organ and a clock dated 1684 from Charles II Palace at Winchester.
::i%iers .7(ome, fl/oershof
30. Circa 1910. The Grosvenor Road Wesleyan Church, the largest in the district, was built in 1874 at a cost of U5,000, with twelve hundred seats at its inception, half of them being free. It is built in the Early English style of architecture. The tower is one hundred feet high and flanked by four turrets. At the rear of the church is Wesley Hall, which provided class rooms and a Sunday School. Wesley House in Grosvenor Road and the Church Hall in Upper Union Street all forrned part of the Soldier's Home. Except for the Church, only the upper architecture of this Ecclesiastical complex has survived, the whole frontage was converted into shops at various times. Inside the church are many memorials dedicated to the famous soldiers and civilians who worshipped here, In later years the church changed its name from Wesleyan to Methodist.
31. Gordon's Chapel, This unusual chapel built high to the rear of the Institute was dedicated to the memory of General C.G. Gordon, of Khartoum, in 1887. It was a beautiful room and used entirely for devotional purposes; it was opened in January 1888 by the Chaplain-General of the Forces, Dr. Edghill. The memorial windows were presented, one by Colonel and Mrs. Wavell in memory of their two sons, two others by private subscription in memory of Colour-Sergeant Douglas D.Huntly, the remaining stained glass windows all carried inscriptions to the memory of soldiers who worshipped in the chapel and were prominent workers of the Institute. A marbie bust of Gordon stood above the entrance to the chapel. A magnificant wrought-iron cross adomed the top of the chapel.
32. The Rotunda Church, Victoria Road. This unique church was built in 1876, the land being given by a town benefactor, farmer Richard Allden, the t6,500 being raised by voluntary subscription and donations. The original church was named as "The Primitive Methodist Church' and was later (in 1901) combined with Christ Church of the Episcopal Church of England. The building was unique and it is interesting to learn that only six circu!ar churches have been built since the Knights Templars period and octagonal churches are as rare. Foundation stones were laid, four in Albert Road and four in Victoria Road, bearing the date 22nd March 1876, before the opening which was held with great ceremony. The adjoining hall in Albert Street also had four foundation stones, laid on December 15th, 1874. Inside the church were seven segments of seats, the eight contained the dias or pulpit. This type of seating eliminates any preeedenee over the congregation. (Photo David Smith.)
33. The English Presbyterian Church as it appeared in 1907. Influenced by the Italian style, this twin towered church is one of the oldest, built in 1863 at a total cost of f.S,OOO. Erected before the town developed, the building was surrounded by a wall extending to the lane that was to become Station Road on one side, and an unmade track on the other, which had just been named as Victoria Road. The remaining two sides overlooked open fields, The entrance was by two small gates in Victoria Road. A Sunday school and meeting hall was to the rear of the church. The house on the left was later turned into a Gospel Hall.
34. Aldershot and District Traction Company Ltd. In June 1906 these first two omnibuses plied for hire between Aldershot and Farnborough. Breakdowns were on average. one every quarter of a mile run over the three mile journey, and the speed of the vehicles was three miles per hour, The Cornpany's first office was in Halimote Road, a small hut on wheels; the dally takings were carefully hidden every night in the waste paper basket, as there was no safe! A new service to Farnham was opened in 1908. In 1910 the first charabanc was added. In 1914 a fleet of eighteen buses, forty lorries and twenty Foden Wagons were in dally use, The whole of the transport group was used by the War Office during the conflict, and the single-decket buses were used to convey wounded, in fact the first wounded to arrive from Mons were carried in one of these buses,
35. The 1927 Machine and Repair Shop. By 1927 the Company had no fewer than one hundred and forty buses of all types, and charabancs were in service. The rapid expansion meant building and equipping garages and offices in no less than fifteen different places of the route area. The 1915 garage and workshops in Halimote Road were completely rebuilt in 1922 when the familiar Grosvenor Road Offices were added. New garages and workshops were again added in 1925. From 1928 until1952 the Royal Arms were displayed over the entrance to the Company's Head Office at Halimote Road. The Royal Warrant of Appointment was awarded after transporting members of the Royal Household from Windsor Castle to Ascot Races in 1927. By 1928 the re-equipment of the whole bus fleet with pneumatic tyres was completed.
36. The Aldershot Hippodrome from Station Road, circa 1913. This theatre was probably the finest building of its kind in the south of England. It was a most imposing structure standing at the junetion of Station and Birehett Roads. There were two performances nightly and the programme immediately after the 1914 War always included a West-End eompany, and the entertainment was equal in every respect to those obtainable at many of London's leading variety houses. The bus is one of Aldershot and District's seven Leyland double-deckers on route to Farnborough Town Hall. Some of the earliest advertising ean be seen on the upper deck. The Hippodrome was built in 1912.
37. Post Office, Aldershot. In 1900 the citizens of the town were promised a new post office. The work was started in 1901 and the building was opened in 1902. The Post Office, still in use today, was of red brick and white stone dressings. A domed turret, with spire ornamented with elaborate stone carving, adorned the corner front. In Victoria Road there was a separate door leading to a small room which was exclusively fot regimental orderlies to collect their mail, and this room was also used for the payrnent of military pensions, and the transaction of other military business. In Station Road there were two separate entrances, one led upstairs to the Postrnaster's office, the other to the latest telephone and telegraph installations. A spacious yard extending down Station Road was used for the loading of horse drawn vans, and this was done under a glass roof direct fr om the sorting room. Sheds were erected on two sides of the yard for the storing of carts and bicycles, The architect of this handsome building was Mr. W.T. Oldrieve, surveyor of H.M. Offices ofWorks, London.
38. View from Redan Hill, circa 1905. In the foreground is the Church of England (National) School, which accommodated about two hundred pupils. This school, built in 1859, with the Nortb Town Elementary were taken over by the Aldershot School Board when it was formed in 1872. St. Michael's and St. George's Roads are on the left and the Frickers Hotel is just beyond the school. On the right, close by the railway line, can be seen the east end of the Rotunda Church and Simmond's Mill, which stood in Albert Road. The two high buildings in the centre are the three storey houses in The Grove. The ta1l chimney left, is that of the Aldershot and District Motor Works. On the skyline is the high ground of Cargate.