Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Dungarvan in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   William Fraher
Gemeente
:   Dungarvan
Provincie
:   Waterford
Land
:   Ierland
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5788-9
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Dungarvan in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

Dungarvan is an ancient town. There is evidence to suggest that the area was inhabited during the Late Stone Age, Bronze Age and Early Christian period. In the 10th century the Vikings founded a trading post here. In the 13th century, following the Anglo Norman invasion, a castIe was built at the mouth of the harbour. Eventually a town developed around the castIe. By the end of the 14th century a defensive wall and gates had been constructed around this settlement.

Dungarvan was granted its first charter by King John in 1215. The prosperity of the town in medieval and later times was based on the fishing industry. It was rebuilt in the early 1800s by the 5th and 6th Dukes of Devonshire, and a new square, bridge, quay and streets were constructed.

The town is divided by the river Colligan with the main portion on the west side and the suburb of Abbeyside on the east. On the eastern side of the bay is Ballinacourty and on the southern side is Ring, a Gaeltacht (Irish speaking) area, with its fishing villages of Ballinagoul and Helvick.

The Dungarvan area has been weil recorded over the years by various photographers. This book provides a selection of postcard views and photographs of the area from the 1890s to the 1930s, most of which have not previously appeared in print.

The first recorded photographer in Dungarvan was George F. Power, a watchmaker and jeweller, from Main Street. In the 1870s he opened a photographic department known as

the 'National Studio'. Only some portrait photographs by hirn survive, but he may also have taken street views and scenery.

Edmund Keohan (1852-1934) became the most notabIe of all the photographers who worked in Dungarvan. Keohan was a native of Tramore and moved in 1875 to Dungarvan, where he opened a confectionery shop at 17 Main Streel. In 1893 he opened a photographic studio and aeeording to an advert in the 'Munster Express' of that year he took 'highly enamelled and artistie photographs' and specialised in ehild portraiture. In 1924 he wrote the first history of Dungarvan, illustrated with his own photographs. Around the same time he advertised that he eould supply 'Artistic photographie posteards of loeal views'.

Riehard Edward Brenan (1846-1917) had a printing and stationery business at Grattan Square. He was also interested in photography as was his son, David. Dungarvan Museum has reeently aequired a collection of Brenan photographs dating from 1900 to 1910, some of which are reprodueed in this book. At least one seleetion of Brenan photographs was printed as a souvenir album of Dungarvan. Several of these same views were reproduced as postcards by Easons of Dublin.

There were many other photographers in Waterford eity; the most successful being A.H. Poole & Co., founded in 1884. They had a shop at 134 The Quay and a photographic studio at 34 The MalI. An advert of 1918 noted that they had 400 local postcards for sale.

George D. Croker, a bookseller and stationer of 11 The Mall also had a photographic studio. An advert of 1901 noted that he could supply the 'Best selection of photos of the city and district', and his special packet of eight large view cards was available for one shilling.

George J. Hughes & Co., had a studio at No. 8 The Mall and at Park Terrace, Dungarvan. Hughes & Co. produced many postcards of Waterford city and county, which are usually embossed with their name.

Other firms outside Waterford also produced postcards of the city and county. The best known being William Lawrence's studio in Dublin whose photographs cover the period 1880 to 1914. Some examples are reproduced in this book.

Eason & Son Ltd., of Dublin, booksellers, stationers and printers published cards depieting Irish towns and scenery between the years 1900 and 1930. Their cards were published under the brand name 'Signal'. A number of the Brenan photographs were used in their set of Dungarvan views.

Another major publisher of postcards was Valentine & Sons of Dundee. This firm issued cards from 1903 to 1960, some examples of whieh are also reproduced here. Individual shops also produced their own cards of local scenes, having commissioned their own photographers to take the pietures. Cunniffes, stationers and booksellers of Main Street, Dungarvan, published postcards and albums of 10cal views. The cards reproduced in this book dating from

the 1930s were issued by Cunniffes in a booklet of twelve. Many of the important photographie collections have been preserved. The National Library of Ireland have a photographie archive which includes the Lawrence, Valentine, Eason and Poole collections. Many museums throughout the country also help to preserve and display the work of their local photographers.

The collection of photographs contained in this book shows that there is a rieh souree of material in existence. It should bring back many happy memories of old Dungarvan and should also prove a useful visual souree for future generations.

Acknowledgements

Many of the illustrations in this book are from my own collection. However, the book would not have been possible without the generous assistance of the following people, who loaned items from their collections or provided information: Dungarvan Museum for loaning photographs from their archive (2, 3, 4, 5, 32, 35, 46, 47, 50, 53, 60, 61, 63, 68). To Margo Kehoe, Peggy Hanrahan, Mary Giblin, Nell Cullinan, Patricia Ormonde, Donal Lynch, Bernadette Sheridan, Andrew Kelly and partieularly to Margaret O'Brien of Dungarvan Library for reading the draft, thanks are due.

1. This posteard dated 1907 depiets the town's eoat of arms. The original arms and seal of Dungarvan Corporation were lost. In 1863 the Town Commissioners employed a loeal man, William Williams, to ereate a new design. The design depiets Dungarvan and Abbeyside eastles with a ship and anehor to represent the maritime history of the town. The motto translates: 'Not a mariner till asteersman.'

Market Square, f)uDgalVaD

2. Grattan Square in 1903 showing the east and north sides. The square, originally called Devonshire Square, was created by the 5th and 6th Dukes of Devonshire in the early 1800s. This view shows the traders on market day. The wooden building is the weigh house, which was replaced by a concrete structure in 1927 which was in turn demolished in the 1960s.

3. The east side of Grattan Square around 1900 photographed by Richard Edward Brenan from the first floor window of his shop. The first shop on the left was Johanna Browne's pub and grocery and beside it Alice Dee's drapery, Mary Power's pub, milliner L. Landers, John Lynch's pub, and Patriek Duggan's pub. Note the flagged footpath and dirt road.

4. Grattan Square looking south, photographed by Richard Edward Brenan around 1910. The photograph shows a crowd gathered at a political rally. In the foreground are the old weigh house and weigh bridge. On the far right of the picture are a cast-iron water fountain and lamp, now in Dirty Lane, off Main Street.

quare, W. DU{lgarvan

5. This view dated 1916 shows the west and north sides of Grattan Square. On the far right is the National Bank built in 1835. There were several well-known shops along here, including George Stokes & Sons and Cornelius J. Sheehan, tweed manufacturer. On the corner was Meade's confectionery and restaurant, formerly Flynn's Hotel. From about 1885 the premises were used as a barrack for the Royal Irish Constabulary.

6. O'Connell Street photographed in the 1930s from Grattan Square. The building on the corner is Dunlea's model bakery. The Dunlea family also had a schooner called the 'Nanny Wignall', which was sunk off the Wexford coast in 1918.

7. Upper Main Street or Parnell Street from Grattan Square around 1911. This street connected the oid medieval town with the new square and streets built by the Dukes of Devonshire. The gable-ended building in the distance is the GId Market House, dating from the 17th century. This was the chief shopping street with shops such as Sheehan Ryans, Scanlans, J.V. Kielys and Mulcahys. The largest shop was Merriek & RuddelIs, which is now Shaws.

8. Main Street in 1914looking west into Grattan Square. Priory House on the left was built by captain Moloney in 1903. Next to it is the opening into St. Augustine Street, which marks the site of the west gate, demolished in the late 1860s. Edmund Keohan's photographic studio was housed in the building on the opposite corner. The two-storey building on the right with the dormer windows was Walsh's tobacco shop and factory, originally established by the Carbery family in 1775.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek