Fareham in old picture postcards

Fareham in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J.F. Emery
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Hampshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3285-5
Pagina's
:   144
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Fareham in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

The Borough of Fareham is situated in the south of England in the County of Hampshire. It lies to the north of Gosport and extends from Portsmouth Harbour in the east, to the River Hambie in the west, covering an area of some 18,000 acres.

Finds of flint arrowheads and knives in the area indicate that man has lived here since the earliest days. In the Iron Age, the Celts are believed to have used the River Meon as a harbóur for their boats. More imposing proof of early occupation of the area stands in the farm of a large Roman fortress at Porchester, dating from the end of the 3rd century. The Domesday Baak of 1086 showed the present Fareham Borough to be comprised of the Hundred of Fareham (FERNEHAM), The Hundred of Titchfield (TICEFELLE) and the Manor of Porchester (PORCESTRE). The reign of King Edward I saw the formation of the first English Parliament. Fareham was one of only a handful of Hampshire towns invited to send representatives. The entitled two members from the area duly attended the assembly in 1306. Unfortunately the cast of such representation eventually became toa heavy for Fareham to bear. In 1345 a petition to King Edward III begging to be excused this honour received the royal assent.

By the 14th century Fareham had become an important port for shipping, in the days when much of the trade of the Kingdom was conducted by small

coastal vessels. Ships were loaded in Fareham Creek and in the Haven at Titchfield, where in those days there was a passage for vessels right into the township, At that time also the area was heavily wooded, and timber from the vast Fareham and Titchfield Parks was transported by sea via Fareham and Warsash to ship-building eentres around the coast. Other industries carried out in the Borough over the years have included brick-making, leather-tanning, strawberry growing and the production of wo allen goods, sacking, pottery, clay-pipes and parchment dressing.

From the time of King Henry 11 in 1163 Fareham has had links with royalty. Several reigning monarchs have visited and stayed in the area, which may explain why Fareham supported the royal cause in the Civil War of 1642-1646. As a result of its allegiance to King Charles I the district suffered badly at the hands of the victorious Cromwellians on several occasions. Moving on through the 18th century, the population of the area was gradually increasing. A drastic rebuilding programme became necessary and during the course of this many of the older, more squalid dwellings were pulled down. These being replaced by some of the fine, stately buildings for which the Georgians were renowned, and happily many of these have survived to the present time. Indeed Fareham High Street today presents one of the finest examples of

Georgian architecture in the south of England. The population of 6,996 in 1801 had doubled by 1891, and grown to 21,817 by 1931. In 1932 the old town of Fareham joined with the ancient villages surrounding it to form the Urban District of Fareham. The Urban District eventually became a separate Parliamentary Constituency in 1970. Four years later it achieved the status of aBorough and today boasts a population of over 90,000.

Fareham Borough with its heavy residential building programme, industrial estates, shopping precincts, superstores, motorways and flyovers now stands as a prime example of modern development. This serves to accentuate the dramatic changes that have taken place in our villages and towns and to our way of life over the last few decades. Hopefully readers will enjoy the opportunity to return for a time, through the pages of our baak, to th ose more tranquil days that now seem to belang to another world.

The pictures in this baak are from the period 1880-1930; this broadly coincides with the years when picture postcard production and collecting was at its height. Although it was 1902 before postcard publication in this country really gat underway, many of the early cards showed scenes that the respective photographers had taken years before. Edwardian times saw the 'golden age' of the postcard, when just about every family in the land had albums

of cards which would be proudly exhibited befare all visitors to the house. Even through the long years of the Great War the flood of postcards continued. It was not until 1919 and the doubling of the postage rate to ld that the demand for postcards really began to wane, and by the late 1920's the flood had become a trickle. By that time, however, a marvellous photographic record of the life and times of the years surrounding the Edwardian era had been safely tucked away in the albums of those early collectors.

Many of the pictures in this book were the work of local photographers, for this part of Hampshire was rich in such men. There was F.G.O. Stuart of Southampton, responsible for over one thousand different Hampshire cards. A.H. Sweasey of Southsea also produced some superb photographic cards of the area as did William Smith of Gosport. Fareham could also baast two of its own postcard publishers in Hector Duffet and Sutton and Sans. Local photographers like Sidney Smith and Frank Pannel also did much to record the Fareham area on film in the early days of our period. With today's growing interest in local history, the old postcard has become much sought after. With prices rising alarmingly, these rectangular pieces of card are truly becoming treasures of the past.

T1)e ft'Oenue. 'fare1)am.

1. This rural scene of the Avenue, Fareham was photographed by William Smith of Gosport. The postcard on which it appeared was postally used on 5th July 1907. The Avenue is the final stretch of the road from Southampton befare it passes under Fareham Railway bridge and enters the town itself. As pictured here, the branches from the tree-lined hedgerows each side of the road interlaced overhead and provided welcome shade for the Edwardian traveller on a hot summer's day. Today the Avenue is part of the busy A27. Most of the greenery has long sin ce been sacrificed in repeated roadwidening operations to accommodate the ever increasing volume of traffic.

2. This toll house on the Titchfield wad was situated at the corner of Gudge Heath Lane and what is now the A27. It was called Blackbrook toll house and was owned by the Titchfield and Cosham Trust. It had a weighing machine which stood on the opposite side of the main wad. As weil as a gate aCIOSS this road, there were also bars acIOSS both Gudge Heath Lane and Redlands Lane. Just peeping through the trees in the background can be seen the railway bridge which stands adjacent to Fareham Station and which dates from 1840. Toll gates were a common sight in this country in the 19th century. Today they are a rarity, although road toll barriers are still encountered frequently on the continent. This picture was taken by Fareham photographer Sidney Smith about 1885.

3. Moving on along the Southampton to Fareham road past Gudge Heath Lane, this was how the approach to Fareham Railway Station arch appeared in 1914. The road leading off to the right is Paxton Road. The building standing on the corner of the raad served for many years as Paxton Raad Post Office. This business continued to operate well into the post-war era befare finally becoming another statistic in the Post Office Authority's economy drive. The rear carriages of a train from Portsmouth can be seen crossing the railway bridge as it pulls into Fareham Station. The station itself is screened from view by the large trees on the left of the picture.

4. This picture by A.H. Sweasey shows the approach to Fareham Railway Station in 1928. The station entrance is tucked just behind the large hotel on the right. In later years this hotel was converted to a factory producing lady's underwear and today it is a bingo club. In the 1930's and 1940's many double-deoker buses came to grief trying to negotiate the old railway bridge shown here. It was so low that the buses had to halt oncoming traffic by moving into the middle of the road in order to pass under safely. The new bridge built after the last war comfortably spans four lanes of traffic. The actual approach road and station exterior have changed very little since 1928. The tram just shown here was to run only one more year before being replaced by the motor bus.

, -_-:

5. This interior view of Fareham Railway Station is from another card by A.H. Sweasey. This card was postally used in 1913 and the message reads 'bike arrived safely, the roads here are shocking'. Pareham Station was opened in 1841 when the first extension line of the London to Southampton railway allowed trains to run from Eastleigh through Botley and Fareham to Gosport. In 1848 the railway was extended from Fareharn to link with Cosham and Portsmouth. It was later extended westward to Netley in 1889 to link up with the existing Netley to Southampton line. Finally in 1903 the opening of the Meon Valley Line to Alton gave Pareham a picturesque and direct route to London. Sadly after little more than fifty years, the Meon Valley Railway was closed as uneconomic on 5th February 1955. The same fate was also suffered by the Fareham to Gosport line. Happily Fareham Station as an important link on the South Coast route, remains as busy as ever. All it lacks today is the glamour that disappeared from the railway scene with the passing of steam,

6. The buildings in the left foreground of this 1910 view of the western end of West Street are still there today. The shop nearest the camera was then a milliners owned by Sylvia Moss, whose window display of assorted hats really caught the eye, Like its neighbours, it is now trading in other goods under a different name. J ust past this row of shops was the entrance to the Gillies. In those days the Gillies was entirely surrounded by open fields and a large number of allotments. The latter are still there today, but the open fields have seen the gradual encroachment of residential development. The row of houses on past the entrance to the Gillies is now replaced by large garage and motor cycle concerns. Across on the north side of the street many of the houses still survive, but have for the most part been converted into office premises.

West end, 'Tarel)afl).

7. The Gosport and Fareham Tramways operated a service from the Hard at Gosport to Fareham Railway Station. The fare for the five mile journey was 4d and the tram ran every fifteen minutes. The service opened in 1906 and continued until the end of 1929. The trams then being replaced by motor buses owned by several small private companies. This picture by William Smith of Gosport, circa 1908, shows a tram at the Fareham end of the route, as weU as some nice exampies of Edwardian fashions. The public house on the right of the picture is the old West End Inn, This and the adjoining buildings were knocked down in the 1940's. The public house being rebuilt some thirty yards back on the new main raad. Since then it has again been dernolished this time to be replaced by a giant traffic roundabout at the start of the southern Fareham by-pass raad.

8. Approaching Trinity Church from the west this was how Fareham West Street looked in 1928. With the exception of the Stonemason W.G. Moss and Son, this part ofthe town was entirely residential. The feneed front gardens lined the pavements and people can be seen standing in their gardens conversing across the road. The overhead tram lines are still much in evidence. Today both sides of the road are full of shops and office premises. The front gardens having been replaced by pavement forecourts for car parking. Only some of the old upper storeys remain, where just the lower living rooms have been converted into business premises. This photograph was some more of the work of A.H. Sweasey of Southsea.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek