From Scalby to Ravenscar in old picture postcards

From Scalby to Ravenscar in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   J. Robin Lidster
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Yorkshire, North
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2882-7
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'From Scalby to Ravenscar in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

This book covers the villages or communities of Scalby, Burniston, Cloughton, Hayburn Wyke, Staintondale and Ravenscar on the picturesque Yorkshire coast between Scarborough and Robin Hood's Bay. The village of Newby is also included, partly because it is within the parish of Scalby, but also because it is the author's birthplace.

This collection of cards starts at Scalby Mills which, a hundred years ago, was a quiet and remote spot tucked into the extreme north end of the North Bay at Scarborough, and from which it was a pleasant one mile walk. From here the cards are arranged topographically through the villages up to Ravenscar. This virtually provides a local history trail which will enable walkers to follow the route and compare the old photographs with the present day scene.

In 1798 Thomas Hinderwell, the eminent Scarborough historian, wrote - Between Searborough and Robin Hood's Bay are only two villages. Bumiston [our miles and Cloughton jive miles from Searborough, There is nothing worthy of note at these plaees exeept a quarry of free stone at the latter, from whenee the Castle at Searborough is said to have been built.

It is the aim of this book to demonstrate how wrong he was, although, to be fair to Hinderwell, whose work 'The History and Antiquities of Scarborough

and the Vicinity' is still a mine of information for local historians, most of the buildings or events mentioned in this book occurred after his time. In fact this area has a very rich local history which is only just beginning to be tapped although it has been known for a long time that man has been active in the area at different periods from Mesolithic times.

The area is also one of great scenic beauty, som et hing which also largely escaped Hinderwell's notice, ranging from rolling pasture lands in the south to extensive purple moorland and rugged sea cliffs in the north, Many scenic postcards were produced showing this short section of the Yorkshire coast but their use in this book has largely been avoided in favour of those cards which record the changing face of the villages and their communities. The choice has still been difficult as there were many cards published for each village. For Scalby, to take one example, the author has ju st over a hundred cards, only twentytwo of which can be reproduced here. At the other extreme cards of Burniston and Staintondale appear to be far less common although the detailed study of local postcards is very much in the early stages.

Most of the illustrations are taken from postcards which were produced between about 1905 and 1930 and represent the output of a number of local

publishers including A.M. Cromack, E.T.W. Dennis, Gray, Hudson, D. Peckett, A.M. Pepper and H.O. & T. Taylor of Scarborough. In the villages J. Woods published cards at Scalby, C.S. Coulson at Cloughton, T.H. Spenee at Hayburn Wyke and T. Thompson at Ravenscar. Ta all these the local historian is indebted for their invaluable records of past times.

As already indicated, this baak presents just a small selection of the total number of cards which have been published illustrating the area. For reasans of space it also contains only brief details of the local history but the author hopes that it will serve as a useful introduetion to a fascinating area with deep roots in the past.

Acknowledgements:

The author would like to thank the following for the laan of postcards, supplying information, or otherwise assisting his researches - John Appleby, Gladys Ashton, Bryan Berryman, R.W. Carr, Mrs. M. Carter, Rhoda Cockerill, Phyl Donson, Edward Leadley, the late E.H. Leadley, W.E. Lee, Janet Lee, lan Massey, Emily Milestone, Ros Palm er, Dave Richardson, Frank C. Rimington, Esther Robson, Peter Robson, Colin Spink (Scarborough Stamp Shop), Barbara

Traill, and members of Burniston Local History Group.

Information has also been quoted from some interesting publications which have long been out of print including : "I'he History and Antiquities of Scarborough and the Vicinity' by Thomas Hinderwell, 1798; 'Historical Sketches of Scalby, Burniston and C1oughton with Descriptive Notices of Hayburn Wyke and Staintondale' by John Cole, 1829; "The History of Scarborough' by J.B. Baker, 1882; 'Mernorials of Scarborough' by C. Meadley, 1890; 'The Victoria History of the County of York North Riding' Vo12. Edited by William Page, 1923; 'Songs of a Seaside Village' by R.A.H. Goodyear, undated; and 'The History of Scarborough' edited by Arthur Rowntree, 1931.

The work by John Cole is without doubt the most interesting although now very scarce, but this and copies of all the other works may be examined in the reference collections of Scarborough Public Library. The most interesting information, however, about recent local history, can be obtained by talking with the elderly residents, of the villages, many of whom can remember the peop1e and events depicted in the old postcards and to whom the author records his sin ce re thanks.

Scalby jlfills, near Scarborough.

1. Scalby Low Mill, as it was originally called, was at one time used for grinding corn but it was so often damaged by flooding that it became disused at a very early time and burnt down in 1821. By 1850 the main building, seen here, had become a hotel as it had already become popular as a Strawberry Garden with visitors seeking the quieter side of Scarborough. The hotel catered for all tastes and the low building on the left was a temperanee refreshment room. The view, taken before 1914, is fr om Monkey Island which was a large conicaI mass of boulder clay. This was a favourite playground for children, including the author, who used to scramble to the top to be 'King of the Castle'.

2. Marshall's 'Picturesque Guide To Scarborough' of 1889 records that - The celebrated Scalby Cakes, tea, wines and other refreshments are served in the arbours or on the lawn shaded by trees and shrubberies. ft is a favourite rendezvous for children on donkeys and their friends. Swings and outdoor games are here provided. Note that the elegant row of Edwardian ladies are mainly riding side-saddle, Another guide laid down the local sea-bathing laws - All persons over twelve years of age must, whether bathing from a machine or otherwise, between the hours of seven in the moming and nine at night, wear drawers or some other suitable covering. The whole character of this area has completely changed since the North Bay Promenade was extended in the 1960's.

3. Between Newby Bridge (photograph 8) and the sea at Scalby Mills (photograph 1), a distanee of only 1 ~ miles, there were four water-powered com mills. This view shows Newby Min (left) and Scalby Bridge Mill, on either side of the Scalby Beek Bridge on the Burniston Coastal Road. Scalby Bridge Min is nowa Youth Hostel, whilst Newby Mill has been demolished. The white-washed house was the home of the miller, Thomas Flinton, whose descendants still live in the area. Arthur Rowntree records the handing down of a min on Scalby Beek in the ownership of the Lacey family - Robert Lade leaves a mylne at Scalby Beek in 1607, John Lacey leaves one watermylne in 1623 and Robert Lade one watter milne in Scawbie Beek called the Upper Water in 1628. This was probably High Min 500 yards above Scalby Bridge Mill.

4. The Scalby Road end of Coldyhill Lane in Newby. As the author was bom in Newby, many ofthe pictures in this book bring back happy childhood memories and probably none more so than this card of I.W. Proctor's Newby Post Office. lt had been doubled in size by extension into the adjoining property on the extreme right and the author remembers the dark wooden counters and the amazing variety ofprovisions and utensils.lt was popular with many ofthe small boys locally as broken biscuits were sold for ld or 2d a bagfull. Shopping was fun, and unhurried, and the enorrnous barrel-shaped lumps of butter sat on large white porcelain slabs, were most impressive to a small boy. The site is now covered by a superrnarket and its car park.

5. A view, probably taken in about 1905, from a1most the same position as the one of Newby Post Office but showing the opposite corner of Coldyhill Lane with J.H. Northorp's 'The Bungalow, Tea and Refreshment Rooms', Signs on the lower windows advertise Rowntrees Chocolates whilst those on the upper pro claim 'To Let'. Licorice root and thick black sticks of 'Spanish' were once sold here. The village policeman passes the time of day and most of the white-washed cottages behind him have since been demolished to make way for a garage. The post-box has long since vanished but its position can still be traeed by a scar on the wall. The main Scalby Road, in the foreground, appears somewhat narrower and considerably quieter than it is now and leads to Scalby and the Rosette Inn.

6. The only public house in Newby, until1984, where the sign above the door reads : ROSETTE INN - Carotine Bottomley Licensed to Retail - Wines - Spirits - Ales, Porter and Tobacco'. In the Scarborough & Whitby Railway Guide of 1897, Mrs. Bottomley, of the Rosette Inn, is listed as providing a lodging house of one sitting room and two bedrooms the 'hotel' having a bowling green and luncheons and teas being provided. The property has been considerably extended and improved since that time. The house on the left has been replaced and the triangle of land on the right, mainly off the photograph, with rustic fencing and a large tree in the centre, was obliterated when the road junction was widened. The road on the left leads to Throxenby Mere, Raincliffe Woods and Forge Valley, popular with visitors for over a century, as weU as providing an alternative route to Scalby.

7. It is hard to believe that only one hundred years before this card of 'Newby Village' was published, in 1925, the population was only 401 The view is taken from almost next to the Rosette Inn, looking across Scalby Road. During the plague of 1625 (see caption 16) Sir Posthumous Hoby of Hackness charitably provided wagon loads of wheat for many local villages. One load was deposited in front of the Rosette Inn and the inhabitants of Newby and Scalby invited to help themselves. Unfortunately 'strangers' helped themselves before Scalby folk arrived and the bitter feeling engendered was expressed in the 'Scalby Grace' whichruns

o Lord our God send down thy word With Trusty swords and sickles,

Ta cut the throats of all those folks That's robbed us of our victualsl

8. A remarkable view of Scalby from the Scalby road in 1905. Newby Bridge and the road have been 'straightened' and other changes have greatly altered the view. On the horizon the 'new' houses had recently been built, in the 1890's, on Station Road in response to the arrival of the railway which passed half a mile east of the old village. In front of the houses the open field now contains the tennis courts, Parish Hall and the former Scalby Urban District Council Offices. Cole, 1829, records that there was at one time a Spawat Scalby, at the top of the road in the photograph, which - is a fine spring of chalybeate water which deposits its ochry and russet dye on the adjacent channel.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek