Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   D.S. Worsdale
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Kent
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4858-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Hoo Hundred in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

The 'Hundred' became established as a convenient way of assessing and collecting taxes. It was made up of one hundred 'hides'. A hide was that quantity of land capable of supporting the life of a family for one year and might have varied (according to some sourees) between two acres and 120 acres in size. In effect the hide was both the acreage unit and the family unit. Hides were gathered in a variety of numbers under the control of a Manor and these were grouped together to number one hundred hides, or thereabouts, forming the Hundred. Known Manars in the Hoo Hundred included Rose-court, Beluncle, MĂ lmaynes, Hoo, Newlands and Coombe and others toa. There are many examples of Manors changing hands and such a one concerns the Manor of Grain. Before the Reformation it was in the possession of the Archbishopric of Canterbury but in 1545 Archbishop Cranmer conveyed it to the Crown - then Edward VI in 1551 conferred it upon Sir George Brooke, Lord Cobham. Henry Brooke, Lord Cobham at the time of Queen Elizabeth's death in 1603, later became involved in Sir Walter Raleigh's conspiracy to overthrow King James 1. The result was that their nefarious purpose having been discovered, Raleigh and Henry Brooke were 'lodged' in the Tower of London. The Cobham estates, including

Grain Manor, then passed, first to the Crown, then later to the Manor of Gillingham. SA from the beginning of the 17th century, Grain has not been officially part of the Hoo Hundred. Nevertheless with the increasing number and variety of landowners the significanee of the Hundred as part of the taxing system declined and became, as it is now, just an interesting historical description of past times. Grain's conneetion with Gillingham appears to have been forgotten or severed as shown by the 1710 Map of Kent by John Sellers which shows the Isle of Grain as part of the Hoo Hundred. Similar changes, if not as picturesque, were taking place throughout the County. However, in modern times Hoo Hundred quaintly indicates a rural community of several manors and village names as Isle of Grain, Hoo Saint Werburgh, Stoke, Allhallows, Saint Mary Hoo, High Halstow and Lower Upnor. The word Hoo is derived from the Saxon Ho, Hoh or Hou, meaning a piece of land jutting out. Throughout the ages the Hoo Hundred has been subject to attack by man and by nature. The earliest recorded was by the Danes who, on one occasion caused havoc at Roehester and reached London. Then there was the notorious attack by the Dutch in 1667 during which the people of Grain, for example, took refuge in Saint James' Church and

depended on the strength of the door for survival. During Napoleon's time and through two world wars the whole Peninsula was considered to be at risk from invading forces by sea or by air and appropriate defences were provided. The Tower and Fort at Grain and the Slough Fort at Allhallows were built in the 1860's, as was Hoo Fort sitting on an island in the riv er, but were never used in the intended mode. There was a Naval Air Station at Grain and an Airship Station at Kingsnorth; but little, if anything remains of these. There are modern military facilities at Chattenden. 'Attacks' by nature of the spectacular kind have come in the form of flooding, especially in 1735, 1897 and 1953. In 1735 it was reported in a letter from the Hundred of Hoo to a gentleman in 'town' describing the flood as 'the highest spring tide that was ever known in the memory of man and several of the farmers' wives and others had the mortifying sight to behold, from their upper apartments, their husbands, sons and servants drowned as they were in the fields at plough'. Sounds devastating, but in fact, of the Parishes of Stoke, Hoo Saint Mary and Hoo Saint Werburgh, only in the church records of the last is there a relevant entry and that is '1737 March 23. Elias Gardner, drowned by the great tide'. This records the burial. The Rivers Medway and

Thames are part of the life of the Hoo Hundred, they are always on the doorstep, sometimes too close for comfort, but are included among the pictures and notes to follow. There is no intention to indicate trend or change but to encourage just a little nostalgia for the days of 1880 to 1930.

The collection is roughly divided as folIows: the riverside; agriculture; village streets and country roads; schools and churches; community groups and personalities; armed services and security; public houses and inns.

Acknowledgements

Mr. and Mrs. Mortley, 'The White Horse', Stoke; Mr. John Emery, Clerk to Isle of Grain Parish Council; Mrs. IngIeton. Mr. and Mrs. G. Rayner, Newlands Farm, St. Mary Hoo; Mrs. Mavis Bird, Elm Avenue, Chattenden; Mrs. Willson, Prospect Cottage, Isle of Grain; Mr. A. Baker, Clinch Street Farm; Mr. and Mrs. R.H. Osenton, Solomons Farm, High Halstow; Kent County Library, Local Studies Section; Mr. P. Osenton, Dalham Farm, High Halstow; Mr. Trevor Hutton, 'The Pier', Lower Upnor.

1. This card shows the view, in 1920, seen from the roof of Hoo Lodge looking up the River Medway. This and another picture accompanied the plan and description of the Hoo Lodge Estate at the time of its proposed sale at auction by Mr. Cobb in 1921. Upnor Castle is immediately recognizable as is the Naval Doekyard on the opposite side of the river. The tall chimney and the cluster of tall buildings were also part of the Dockyard. Away to the right, just discernable, is the spire of All Saints' Church Frindsbury. Above the dome shaped objects in the left centre is the Frindsbury Peninsula (now undergoing industrial and commercial development) and beyond that are the chimneys of the riverside works leading up to Cuxton and in the far distance Halling.

CITY OF ROCHESTER.

2. This postcard of the paddle steamer 'City of Rochester' was posted in Southend in 1910. It was built in 1904 for the New Medway Steam Packet Company by J. Scott & Company at Kinghorn in Fife. It was 160 feet Long by 22 feet and drew 7 feet 3 inches, its gross tonnage was 235 tons. lts regular service linked Harwich, Chatham and Herne Bay but its best known run was from Strood to Southend. The picture shows it passing Frindsbury Quarry. Several alterations were made to it to give more speed including a redesigned engine and a strange smoke-stack. lt was one of the ships which conveyed men down the Medway to board the 'block-ships' waiting below the Nore for the memorable raid on Zeebrugge.

3. The Pier at Lower Upnor with its floating landing stage has long sinee been dismantled. The boat eoming in to piek up passengers is the 'City of Roehester' whose history is dealt with elsewhere. The 'Sheer-legs' seen in the background (the Royal Doekyard) were part of reparations paid by the Germans after the First World War. This picture was 'snapped' in the mld-twenties by the son of the owner, at that time, of the Provision Store opposite the other end of the pier. Just beyond the 'City of Roehester' ean be seen the sails of a Thames Barge sailing downstream and passing an empty vessel under power moving upstream.

4. Taken at the same time as the one showing 'City of Rochester' approaching Lower Upnor pier, cargo ships of this kind were frequent visitors to the Roehester Port. Among general cargoes they brought in pulp for the paper industry and timber. The shipping line denoted by the 'S' on the smoke stack is Seeberg Bros, Riga, Latvia. She is travelling light, downstream, having discharged a cargo. The pair of light 'skiffs' in the foreground were probably available for hire. It appears that some construction work was still going on in the Dockyard.

5. 'Arethusa' was to be seen moored at Lower Upnor from 1932 until March 1975. Originally she was the 'Peking' of the famous 'P' Line of four masted barques registered in Hamburg and mainly used on the South American nitrates 'run'. Sister ships included the well-known 'Priwall', 'Passat' and 'Preussen'. 'Peking' (Arethusa) was built by Blohm and Voss of Hamburg in 1911. She came to the end of her last commercial journey at Hamburg on 26th June 1932 and was bought by Shaftesbury Homes in October 1932 for use as a training ship, for f600,000. On 7th March 1975 she began her journey to the South Street Seaport Museum, New York, who paid f70,000.00 for her and restored her to a near original condition.

6. The beaeh at Lower Upnor was very popular with the loeal eommunity in the years between the two world wars. Some people eame by boat from Chatham and Gillingham. Very little of the wall remains, due to persistent erosion, and some of the nearest trees have disappeared as the clay slipped down the hillside into the river. The hats worn by the ladies are typical of the 1920's and compared with modern times it is strange to see so many being wam. The parasol is also of interest whilst most of the others on the beaeh are using umbrellas to proteet them from the sun - and there are no sun-bathers as we know them. The draped towel probably indieates that the young lady had either 'paddled' or taken a 'dip' - in the river!

7. The 'Dorothy', seen here, was described as a houseboat, studio and tea house. It was built on a platform supported by two long boats. It had probably disappeared by the time Arthur Osgood had obtained permission to construct his Woodland Park Tea Room in 1929. Beyond the tea house can be seen the boat house which had been in use by the occupants of Hoo Lodge. Beyond the boat house, but not in view was the 'Yacht Cottage' which for many decades had been used by Medway Yacht Club as headquarters during their annual Regatta Weck. This card was posted in Gillingham inMay1911.

8. Very !ittle of that which is identifiable remains of MI. Osgood's tearoom in Woodland park at Lower Upnor. Looking upstream, in the distanee, ean be seen the mast of a Thames barge lying against the wharf which is still there. Beyond that can be seen the covered s!ipway, the building with the strangely sloping roof, long sinee gone, but the remains of the s!ipway ean still be seen. Mueh of the ground to the left of the picture has s!ipped into the river.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek