Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Limpsfield in old picture postcards

Auteur
:   Roger Packham
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Surrey
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5490-1
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Limpsfield in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

The east Surrey village of Limpsfield has attracted several notabie historians, particularly the late Mrs. Kay Percy, who have all written enthusiastically about the wonderful buildings in the High Street and neighbouring area. The scholarly notes of Mr. Peter Gray have added much to our knowledge of the construction and age of these buildings, which are still much enjoyed by residents and visitors alike. The historie village centre has been officially recognised by the designation of a conservation area.

In earlier histories, Mr. Lewis Fry's book collected together some valuable essays on such diverse Limpsfield topics as geology, village records, place names and architecture, whilst Mr. W.F. Mumford, history master at Oxted County Grammar School, wrote a charming little book in 1949 enti-

tled 'Pages From the Past in Oxted, Limpsfield and Tandridge' .

The aim of the present work is to allow the reader a glance back into the early years of the twentieth century and to understand how the High Street appeared to our grandparents and great-grandparents. The existence of this priceless photographie record is due to the emergence of the picture postcard whieh, from the very early years of the 1900s, was such a feature of everyday life and provided a cheap and efficient means of communication before the availability of the telephone.

In Limpsfield, several local shops had large series of local view postcards published, usually with a 10cal name on the cards, such as J. Brasier, Miss Webster and several of the Oxted publishers. However, there was also competition from national postcard

publishers like Valentine's of Dundee, Frith's of Reigate and W.H. Smith & Son and there were also views of Limpsfield Chart published by the Misses Steer and Burley from their little sub-post office next to the Carpenter's Arms.

This healthy competition fulfilled a demand and has resulted in a legacy of photographic views which afford a very real idea of how our villages appeared befare being spoiled by motor cars, traffic furniture and pollution.

I have arranged this baak in a sequence which takes the reader into Limpsfield from Titsey Hill and into its High Street at the northern end, by St. Peter's Church. The itinerary then takes us past the Manor House and into Detillens Lane befare returning to the High Street by The Bull and on to the Westerham Raad at the cross roads by the demolished

Plumber's Arms. The grand tour proceeds with a look up and down Pebble Hill, taking in the village school, golf club and cricket ground, and then on to Limpsfield Chart, with its forgotten windmill and post office, via Wolfs Row and the present St. Michael's School.

The author's intention is not only to show how Limpsfield appeared some eighty to ninety years ago, but to stimulate interest in the local history of the village. Should readers have any enquiries, they are welcome to write to me at 40, Raglan Preeinet, Town End, Caterham, Surrey CR3 5UG.

Caterham, September 1992

Roger Pack ham

1. The approach to Limpsfield from Titsey is shown here in Webster's postcard, which was posted in 1913. St. Peter's Church is visible in the centre of the photograph and the building nearest to the camera is the Boys' Home, which is featured on the following page. Beyond it is Old Court Cottage, which was built in the late 1100s for the Abbot of Battle and is th us one of the old est and most important buildings in the village.

Boy's Home, L1mpsfleld

2. The Limpsfield Home for Convalescent Boys, Titsey Raad, was built in conneetion with the Oxford Missions in the East of London. Known to local people as the 'Boys' Home', it is shown here from a Valentine's postcard, published in about 1910. At this time the matron was Mrs. Louisa McGrath, who remained in the position until weIl into the 1920s. The buildings are now occupied by Northdown Nurseries but still retain their school-like character .

3. Brookside Cottages are shown here in a photograph taken from the Titsey Road end of Bluehouse Lane in about 1911. The house beyond the cottages is in Granville Road. Part of the River Eden flows underneath the briek-built bridge in the foreground and no doubt was the inspiration for the name of the cottages which are known today as 172-188 Bluehouse Lane.

LIMPSFIELO CHURCH

4. St. Peter's Church is shown on a W.H. Smith postcard which dates from about 1908. The photograph is looking northwards and Tithe Cottage can be seen in the distance. The lych gate at the top of the steps is an ancient structure, much restored, and although the tower and west end date from c 1180, most of the church was built during the early 1200s.

5. Webster's postcard shows the grounds of St. Peter's Church as they appeared in about 1910. This is still a peaceful part of the village and amongst the many local worthies and distinguished gentry can be found the last resting pl aces of the composer Frederick Delius (1862-1934) and his wife Jelka, née Rosen (1868-1935). The authoress Florence Barclay and Eugenie Stanhope, daughter-in-law of Lord Chesterfield, are also buried here.

6. The Reetory is of ten unnoticed by visitors to Limpsfield, for although it is opposite St. Peter's Church, it is largely hidden by trees. This view of it by Steer & Burley in about 1905 was taken when the rector was Reverend Gerald Gurney Richards, M.A. The Reetory was built at the turn of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, although the porch shown here is a Victorian addition.

7. This unusual view of the Reetory from the back garden was produced by Webster in about 1910. The building is known to have been hit by lightning in 1717 and underwent some interior alterations in 1841-1842. The postcard was sent locally to Miss Ethel Overall, Meadow Side, Mill Lane, Oxted.

8. Arthur Homewood of Burgess Hill, Sussex, (1857-1922) published this posteard of The Manor House in about 1908. St. Peter's Chureh and its lyeh gate ean be seen in the distanee. The house was never a true manor house and it is thought to have been re-built by Samuel Savage in about 1765.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek