Millom in old picture postcards volume 2

Millom in old picture postcards volume 2

Auteur
:   Bill Myers
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Cumbria
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5842-8
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2-3 weken (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Millom in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

INTRODUCTION

A century ago Millom was entering the last phase of a building boom which had turned open fields on the West Cumberland coastline into a new town in little more than thirty years.

In 1894 Millom saw the completion of a number of buildings which are now familiar parts of the modern town. They include Millom Conservative Club in Lapstone Road, Millom Police Station and court house, part of Duke Street and the former post office building on the corner of Wellington Street and Katherine Street. Another building to celebrate a centenary in 1994 is the Bible Christian Sunday School in Newton Street, which has more recently been an employment exchange and leather goods factory.

To meet this demand for new houses and public buildings there was a wide range of local builders and contractors. They were led by William Bradley of Salthouse Road, who manufactured most of Millom's bricks and tiles as wel! as being a builder, joiner, contractor, painter and decorator. At that time Millom and Haverigg had fifteen other firms engaged in various aspects of the building tra de. By around 1905 those firms had completed the construction of Millom and there was relatively little further change untillocal authority housing and new private estates began to expand the town again after the First World War.

1894 was also a big year for industrial relations at Millom's Hodbarrow Mines with the directors deciding to stay neutraion the issue of trade union membership for miners. The company would do nothing to obstruct membership, but

issued notices preventing any union recruiting on company land or in company time. One 1894 notice read: 'The progress of work is being seriously interfered with by members of the union who take up the time of other miners by canvassing in other workings than their own. '

Millom in 1894 was a prosperous place. In 1871 the value placed on land in Millom for local government rates was just n4,000, but by 1881 house building and rapid growth at Hodbarrow Mines and Millom Ironworks pushed that figure to f84,000. By 1901 the value had risen still further to n07,093. From 1892 to 1894 production of iron ore at Hodbarrow reached record levels with over 500,000 tons raised each year. A total of noo,ooo per year was being paid in dividends to thankful shareholders.

By 1901 Millom lronworks had six furnaces in production and was described as: 'Of the most modern character and are replete with every recent invention for the economical production of pig iron.' That new technology included the installation in 1898 of a Uehling type pig casting machine, which was the first of its kind in Great Britain.

With prosperity came ever greater numbers of people seeking work. In 1861 the Millom parish, including Thwaites and Ulpha, had fewer than 1,000 people, yet by 1871 Millom alone had 4,307. In the 1881 census it was 7,698 and by 1901 had risen to 10,426, in part due to a massive influx of labourers working on the Hodbarrow Outer Barrier or Sea Wal!.

Hodbarrow alone provided work for 1,350 people in 1901

with the ironworks employing several hundred more.

Ta administer this growing town the old Local Board was transformed by the 1894 Local Government Act into an urban district council with 16 members. In 1894 Millom also had two home-grown newspapers. The Millom Weekly Gazette was published on Fridays by Richard Sprague of Lapstone Road, while the Millom News was issued on Tuesdays and Saturdays by Market Square printer William Atkinson. Millom had twenty public houses and beer sellers to help quench the thirst of miners and foundry workers. Many of those traditional pubs have fallen victim to re-development schemes or have been converted into private hornes. They include the Ironworks public house in Duddon Street, The Royal in Queen Street, the Bottom Ship in Albert Street and The Crown in Lord Street. Religion played a major part in the life of the town and in 1894 Millom and Haverigg had at least thirteen churches and chapels. Among those to fold in the past century are the Primitive Methodists at Holbom Hill and Haverigg, the Welsh Calvanistic Methodists and the Bible Christians in Newton Street.

A century ago Millom supported a vast range of specialised shops and trades, many of which have long since vanished. The town had no fewer than thirteen butchers, fifteen shoe shops, eleven greengrocers and ten confectioners. If you needed a new outfit the town had thirteen milliners or dressmakers and four tailors. If times were hard there were pawnbrokers in bath King Street and Queen Street, or you

could see the manager at Millom branches of the Liverpool, Cumberland Union Bank or Lancaster Bank.

There were also shops in streets where today there are only houses, or where the whole street has been swept away by the modern age. In 1894 John Steele was a grocer and George Seaman a shopkeeper in the long since demo!ished Borwick Rails, near Millom Ironworks. Surrey Street had a grocer and two dressmakers, Lord Street had a butcher's shop and Albert Street had five shopkeepers, a lodging house, two dressrnakers, a dogger and a branch of the CoOperative Society.

This second volume of pictures showing Millom and its surrounding villages marks another important development in 1894, the first British picture postcards. The vast majority of historie views which survive of Millom's shops, streets and industries are on postcards. They were produced by big national firms but more of ten by local photographers, chemist shops or stationers toselI at a penny each to summer visitors, or to go into the family albums of Millorn's Victorian and Edwardian postcard collectors.

The British Post Office authorised the first privately produced picture postcards on 1st September in 1894 and opened the floodgates to a new industry churning out mil!ions of cards a year. Those postcards are still avidly saved today and the pictures in this volume are a selection from a private archive of more than 10,000 Cumbrian cards belonging to Millom collector Bill Myers.

1. Meeting the new M. P. Millom people get to meet their new Member of Parliament in this postcard view of Newton Street in 1906. The event was captured on film on 26th January, just a few days after Liberal candidate Mr. H. Fullerton won the Egremont Division, which thenincluded Millom, in the General Election. His successful election campaign came despite controversy sparked by local press reports claiming use of a false letter to urge all Millom's Roman Catholics to vote Liberal. In the days before television and radio broadcasts a political speech, or a visit by a politician, could draw huge crowds. Shown in the background of this public reception is Thompson's butchers and a number of Newton Street shops facing the junction with Queen Streel.

2. Town Hall Clock, Millom. MiIlom Town Hall clock is one of the enduring features which make the town what it is. but it was almost never built. In 1878 a stormy government inquiry was held in the Magistrates Court at Millom Public Hall to decide on a controversial extraordinary loan sought by Millom Local Board. The board wanted fJO,SOO for gas and water works and f3,SOO for a rnarket house and offices in the Market Square, but was opposed by 98 ratepayers and property owners. Mr. Atter, for the objectors, said the board was acting against property owners and was reckless in spending money. Thanks to Local Government Board inspeetor Col Ponsonby Cox the town hall was built and ean be seen on this posteard of 1910.

3. Window shopping in Mil/om. This postcard shows a typical Edwardian small shop in Millom. The staff of five pose for the photographer around 1905 outside the 'Hippo' Dining Rooms. The window includes exampIes of the food available, a Iengthy menu and advertisements for what appear to be early moving picture shows visiting Millom. Research in oid trade directories has so far failed to identify which street the picture was taken in, but Holbom Hili and St. George's Terrace are strong possibilities. A good number of Millom's shops still retain similar ornate wooden shop window frames and doorways but many more have been replaced by modern alternatives.

4. Ward the stationer, Millom. This postcard shows the heart of Millorn's shopping centre, where Wellington Street meets Crown Street and Lapstone Road. The main building in the centre is now a clothing shop but at the turn of the century was the stationery business of Charles Ward. Indeed this postcard was produced for, and soldin large quantities by, Ward's from the First World Waruntil the late 1920s. This example was posted in 1926. There are racks of postcards on the outside wall and the window is filled with Ward's produets and promotional posters for steam ship passages to the United States of America and Canada with White Star Shipping Line. Ward's is faced by the Millom Co-Operative headquarters and the sign on the Ieft-hand edge of the postcard for luncheons and teas is the Temperanee Hotel and confectioner's business of Harry Deacon in Lapstone Road.

5. Lapstone Road, Millom. This elegant Edwardian lady is shown outside a house in Lapstone Road, Millom. The picture was taken in 1903 and shows part of the block of Victorian homes facing the Lapstone House residential home and the Millom letter and parcel sorting office. It features the wife of William John Yarr, a leading Millom industrialist with a brass and iron foundry in Millom Road. She was writing to Jonty Yarr, probably herson, who was a pupil at the Royal Masonic School at Bushey, Hertfordshire. Many Millom homes and public buildings had elaborate cast iron railings similar to those in Lapstone Road, but most were cut up for scrap during the Second Wor/d War.

7. ti.o.รก.

.. ": ..

o.

Wellington Sbjeet, Millom . ? d ~

~ w ~ ~ w~ ~ l1. _:::.::.:"_ r

6. Wellington Street, Millom. This postcard dated 1903 shows the top end of Wellington Street, just below Millom Co-Operative Society, which is now Millom Builders' Merchants. The two shops on the right-hand edge, with pointed roofs, are now part ofthe Fashion House and Scurrah's Newsagents. In 1894 theywere the shops of Mrs. Hannah Birkett and Richard Kitchen, the tobacconist. By 1906 the businesses were in the hands of Ellen GendIe, a milliner, and clockrnaker Anthony Shackley, who was still trading until at least 1934. The shop on the right-hand edge, with a c1ockabove the door, is believed to be W. Hall, the jeweller, with Flynn's grocery shop next door. Both shops are now a baby clothing stockist.

7. Wellington Street, Millom. This 1906 view shows a horse and cart making deliveries to shops in Wellington Street, Millom. On the left is the cobbled back alley to Nelson Street and a garage, which has been demolished and is now a solid fuel agency. Next to it was the department store of John Floyd whieh sold groeeries, hardware and provisions. Today the building is the Cellar Five off-licence and the Waterloo House Surgery. Behind the gas lamp on the right can be made out the shop sign of Roberts, which is now the Swinton Insurance Agency. This postcard was produced by the Milton Company of London but was sold by W.J. Warnoek, the stationer of 68 Wellington Street, Millom.

8. Edwardian fire damage. This postcard from 29th August 1910 shows Number 50 Wellington Street, Millom. At that time the building was owned by John Floyd, a grocer, provision and hardware dealer. The picture shows the gable end of the building in a state of dereliction, with its windows and doors broken, and its roof open to the weather. A ladder tied to the wall and wh at looks like a hose pipe would seem to indicate that the damage was the result of a serious fire. The building is now part of the Cellar Five Off-Licence and has seen considerable change, but the outline of the gable end windows and goods doorways can still be seen.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek