Milngavie in old picture postcards volume 1

Milngavie in old picture postcards volume 1

Auteur
:   Sheena.V. Peters
Gemeente
:  
Provincie
:   Dunbartonshire, East
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2232-0
Pagina's
:   80
Prijs
:   EUR 16.95 Incl BTW *

Levertijd: 2 - 3 werkdagen (onder voorbehoud). Het getoonde omslag kan afwijken.

   


Fragmenten uit het boek 'Milngavie in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

INTRO DUCTION

Milngavie as a place is able to be traeed back to the bronze age. About 140 A.D. the Antonine Wall was erected and Milngavie, to the north of the wall, probably benefitted from the Roman occupation. The spot were Milngavie now stands, was on the verge of a large loch, partly natural and partly artificial, which lay to the north of the Antonine Wall and covered all the low ground from the neighbouring village, Kilpatrick, to Kilsyth, This was a place which was of great importance to the Romans, guarding, as it did, one of the great passes from the north, and the natives of Milngavie could not fail, during the long period of the Roman occupation of Britain, to profit by their vicinity to them, and to leam the comforts of civilisation and peace. Accordingly, Milngavie no doubt suffered with the withdrawal of the Romans with their law and order, and indeed, the battle of Mugdoek was fought nearby in 750 A.D. bet ween the Picts and the Britons, where Talorgan, King of the Picts, was killed.

Towards the end of the eleventh century there was an influx of Sax ons and Normans from England, which resulted in many English customs being introduced. One of their first improvements was to settle the church on a firm basis. To this effect each baron made a formal grant of the tithes of their estates to the Church which they either founded or built, and the estate so tithed, became what was later called, a parish. It was thus that the parish of Kilpatriek was

formed out of the great district which was comprised in the Earldom of Lennox or Levenax. The following five hundred years saw Milngavie being ruled by that powerful Dun bartonshire family.

It was largely to suit the convenience of the tenantry of the Duke of Montrose, that Kilpatriek was divided into Wester and Easter by an Act of the Scots Parliament in 1649. Milngavie lay in the east or new half, and in a sm all area which actually belonged to Stirlingshire, until 1891, when a revision by the Boundary Commissioners brought the whole of New Kilpatriek into Dunbartonshire, where it still remains to this day.

It has been said by historians that Milngavie is a child of the Allander. Well, Milngavie has good reason to admire the old stream which has made her what she is. For hundreds of years a com mill stood on the stream here, and to it many of the lands in this part of the barony were connected. Though the Montrose family parted with most of their lands here, they still held on to the old mill, and it was only in the nineteenth century that it finally passed out of their hands. This mill was the beginning of Milngavie, and round it, a few houses gradually rose. According to the 1793 First Statistical Account of Scotland, 'Millguy' was a village of two hundred persons, mainly bleachers, printers and pencillers of cloth. By 1842 it was a thriving village of one thousand five hundred persons, with cotton sp inning, added to its industry.

There were several bIe achw orks, a distillery at Tambowie, and dyeworks at Burnbrae. The industrial revolution resulted in cotton sp inning being replaced by a paper milI. By the end of the nineteenth century, there was also the West of Scotland Laundry, and Strathdee's Aerated Water Faotory. It was along the banks of the Allander River that the town's first industrial concentration grew up. The soft, mud-free waters of the river were ideal for bleaching and printing and they were soon put to profitable use. By the closing of the eighteenth century, the parish of New Kilpatriek was a thriving manufacturing district with six bleachfields, four oat mills, two barley mills, one paper mill, and one snuff milI. GraduaIly, calico printing and cotton-spinning came to absorb more and more of the local population, both adult and juvenile. Today, no works of these kinds exist. Vet even so, the industrial side of the town's life has continued no less vigorously in other ways; indeed it now makes what is probably just the right contribution towards a weIl balanced economy.

Until 1863 the only means of transport to Glasgow was by hourly stagecoach. In that year, the Glasgow and Milngavie Junction Railway opened a single track line to Milngavie. In 1897, the line was widened by the North British Railway Company. Glasgow Corporation started in 1906, to run tramcars to Killermont, Bearsden, extending this eventually to Milngavie in 1934, which lasted until 1956. In 1875, Milngavie's

population was about 2,000 and was able to claim Burgh status. The co ming of the railway led to considerable residential development. By 1901 the population was 3,481; by 1931 - 5,057; by 1973 10,846. To meet this growth, the Burgh boundaries have had to be extended several times over the years. The origin of the name Milngavie is sufficiently doubtful to provide material for a good going argument. Be that as it may, it is pleasant to think of the mill and the cottages grouped picturesquely on the banks of the AIlander. The little clachan would be a familiar landmark to many, including the great Montrose hirnself, as he passed on his way to and from his castie of Mugdock.

Milngavie has managed throughout the years to avoid being engulfed by the greedy tide of Glasgow, and has managed to keep its own essential vitality, to remain a weIl-knit community, alive to a promising future. Although now linked with the neighbouring small town of Bearsden, to farm .the Bearsden and Milngavie District, within the enormous Strathclyde Region, Milngavie still has managed to retain both her dignity and her individuality. Even now, some local inhabitants of Milngavie, still talk about going to the shops in the 'village'. Does this perhaps show a pride in the past? Certainly, it looks as though the 'village' will still be one to be proud of a good many years hence.

STATION ROAD, HILNGAVIE. ""~j:2

1. This photograph was taken in 1910 looking down Station Road from the junction with Douglas Street and Mugdock Road, The shop on the right hand side, with the street corner loungers, is now the site of the present Bank of Scotland. It is interesting to note that the very first Bank of Scotland in Milngavie started in the town in 1884. The building on the left with the hanging gas lamp, is the Cross Keys Inn. Right down the street to the left may be seen the gable end of what was the Railway Inn. At this time in the tewn's history, the leading shops were situated in Station Road, which was the principal street of the town. Not a street lamp in evidence except the one already mentioned at the Cross Keys, Compare this to the welllit pedestrian area in this locality now.

2. This photograph, taken in the 1920's, is the same view as that on the previous page, looking down Station Road from the junction of Mugdoek Raad and Douglas Street. The building at the corner on the right, at the time photographed, according to the signs, appeared to deal with 'Perth Dye Works' and with 'Twilfit corsets', Outside the Cross Keys on the left, note the policeman standing talking to a gentleman. At this end of Station Road, there was aIways some farm of bridge over the Allander River and it was at this end that the Mechanies Institute was formed in 1836, giving a library, as weIl as a school, known as Bridge School. Note the interesting impedimenta on the roof above the Twilfit corset window, this has long since been removed. Town progress may be gauged by the few street lamps in evidence which were missing in the previous photograph.

3. Carrying on down the Station Road of the previous two pictures, we would come, on the Ieft, to the site of the Railway Inn, this particular photograph of which, was taken about 1880. According to the name above the door, the proprietor at that time, was a Mr. A. Crawford. This building, today, is now made up of a chemist on the ground floor, and a hairdresser and tearoom on the first floor. A very dim steep1e, might just be able to be made out above the roof of the inn. This is the steep1e of the Old Parish Church, long since disused, and latterly has been used for Civil Defence purposes. The lane, Hillhead Street, up the right hand side of the inn, where a wee face is peeling over the wall, now resounds, indeed as it did then, to the ring of children going too and fro from Milngavie Primary School.

4. This photograph shows another view of Station Road taken in the 1920's, Iooking up the opposite way. To the right, the first building with the sunshade up, was of course, the oid Railway Inn, In this photograph, the small window of the previous photograph has been enlarged to form a shop display, nowadays a chemist. The upper storey is obviousIy dwelling houses, which have now been taken over by small business concerns. The baker's shop in the previous photograph, is, in this one, a plumber, known as R. Currie. Miller's newsagent's shop is just disappearing out of the Ieft hand side of the picture. I have no doubt that the urchins crossing the road are coming and going from Milngavie Primary SchooL Perhaps there was a 'tuek' shop on the opposite side of the road ... like there is in this modern age.

5. This photograph has been taken looking up Station Road, early this century, with Miller's Corner, as it was called, to the left. Miller's newsagent's shop was founded by a Mr. 1. Miller in 1876. The Railway Inn is hidden by the trees on the right. Station Road used to extend without interruption from the junction of Strathblane and Glasgow Roads to Bridge Place, and at one time, could be said to be the principal street in the town, and was the hub of the town, as it was the direct route to the station, and therefore, the most patronised part of the town. The leading shops were situated here, and as aresult, this was a place where people congregated. How apt, one feels, that this area has now been developed into a pedestrianised zone, where people still meet and stroU about.

6. Another photograph taken at the turn of the century of Station Road, from what is now nicknamed Miller's Corner. Even as a pedestrian precinct in the 1980's, Station Road rarely looks as busy as it does in this photograph. It would appear, that the pupils from Milngavie Primary School, which was only a few hundred yards away, up at the top of Hillhead Street, to the left of the tree, had invaded the area, for some purpose or other! How few boys now, would be seen wearing caps, never rnind the plus fours! Note the post office, slightly to the left of the middle distance, situated where the present day Co-operative shop is. Also of interest, is the stripped barber's pole outside the hairdresser's shop. This was until recently the site of a motor accessory shop.

7. A good photograph looking up Station Road, of McAulay's Corner, at the junction of Station and Strathblane Roads. The present McLay's Garage is situated behind McAulay's cottage. James McAulay, Milngavie's third provost, was bom here in 1834 and dwelt there until he died in 1926. He was a carrier, and was the general contractor for the buildings in Strathblane Road. No. 101 Station Road is the cottage shown joined on to the two-storeyed villa. These single-storeyed cottages and McAulay's, were taken down in 1932. On the right hand side of the road, the old Burgh Hall may be seen, as may the steeple of St. Luke's Church, which, at the corner of Buchanan Street, was built on the site of Gardiner's Smithy. Victoria Place would be on the left hand corner of the photograph.

8. This photograph was taken from Station Road, looking across Strathblane and Glasgow Roads, into Baldernock Road, which, at one time was known as Garwhitter Brae. Victoria Place was at the right hand corner of the photograph. This of course, is now a very busy traffic junction with traffic lights controlling all four roads. McAulay's Corner is the cottage with the two dormers, and St. Paul's Church is at the corner of Baldernock Road. This church was built in 1898 by the architects Leadbetter & Fairley, in a simple, traditional style, with lancet windows and segmental clerestory lights, with Gothic tracery of perpendicular character. The original St. Paul's had been erected in Milngavie in 1841 as a chapel of ease, being erected into a parish in 1873. The site of the present church in the photograph was gifted by Mr. T.R. Ker of Douga1ston. The church was named St. Paul's under the 1929 Act ofUnion.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colofon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Leveringsvoorwaarden | © 2009 - 2017 Uitgeverij Europese Bibliotheek