Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9 Filey Promenade and gardens are seen here from the north. There were few access points to the sea front. The sands curve for six miles between the rocks of Filey Brigg and the chalk diffs of Speeton and Bempton. In between, in the di stance, the Vale of Pickering ends in low diffs of stiff day eroding with the onslaught of winter gales. Minor royalty came to stay at sedate Filey, and uniformed Edwardian nannies with their young charges are remembered. Filey has managed to retain much of its Victorian and Edwardian elegance. (Posted 1934.)

The Pr-crne n ade, Fil v-

10 Church Ravine leads to the beach at the north end of Filey. Until1889, when Filey became a boraugh, the ravine formed part of the boundary between the North and East Ridings ofYorkshire. St. Oswald's parish church founded by Bridlington Priory was built on the opposite bank from the village, in a different county! In recent times a bridge had linked the two. In the early 19th century the ravine was bare. A strearn ran down to the sea and springs supplied water until piped water arrived. In 1869 the local authority bought the ravine, planted the woods and made ornamental walks. It also culverted the stream and built the raad which leads to Coble Landing where, in the 1890s, were 64 inshore cobles and many larger yawls supported by seagoing cobles. (Posted 1908.)

.' Sin

The Ravine, Füey.

1 1 "The Queen of English Watering Places', Scarborough, is Yorkshire' s largest seaside resort. It expanded from its Norman castle, town and harbour with the discovery in 1 626 of medicinal water at the diff foot in South Bay. The Spa patronised by the gentry was followed from the 1720s by sea-water drinking and sea bathing from tents, machines and boats, a health treatment boosted by George lIl. The arrival of the railway from York in 1 845 ushered in the modern era ofmass holidays and entertainment, seaside promenades and the creation of paths and gardens along the steep day diffs. The southern approach brought vi si tors to the Belvedere and Italian Gardens above the bathing pool of 1914, and to South Cliff Gardens, Café and Bungalows. This card features the popular Café with the

Bungalow roofs below. Beyond are the Tower and Spa. Above is the Prince of Wales Hotel on the Esplanade. (Posted 192 2.)

Café South Cliff G:wCJlS, Scnrborougt,

12 South Side Bungalows gave easy access to the beach. The café entrance porch is above, up the cliff The Prince of Wales Hotel, aloft on the corner of the Esplanade and Prince of Wales Terrace, was built as a terrace of houses in 1850 and became a hotel about ten years later. It closed in the 1980s and is now luxury apartments. Two cars visible in the trees are the South CliffTrarnway built in 1874 by the efforts of the hotel manager. Operated by counter-balancing seawater tanks, it is the oldest ofthe town's five clifftramways. One has gone, another is now closing. Beside the Spa buildings, the tall Observation Tower, built by Sir ]oseph Paxton about 1860, was demolished in 1923. Between this and the Bungalows came in 1925 the concrete Arcade below the Ballroom, now a

Promenade Lounge, Ocean Room and Banqueting Suite. (Wray, Scarborough.)

1 3 Having recently created Clarence Gardens, Alexandra Gardens and Peasholm Park in North Bay, Scarborough Council in 1912 bought an extra quarter mile of the South Bay cliffs. Harry Smith, the Borough Engineer from 1879 until 1933 who was responsible for making most ofthe borough's parks and gardens, landscaped the new part of the South Bay cliffs into an intricate network of shaded walks with shelters, seats and arbours. Here he created the Belvedere Gardens, the Rose Garden and sunken Italian Garden, the latter an oasis amongst the woods, fashioned into staircased terraces, with a pagoda at the top and a pool, fountain and garden at the base. The beautification of the cliffs of both bays was now virtually complete.

(Dainty Series.)

14 An earlier Italian Terrace of more formal design had been created as part of a Spa redevelopment about 1858, when Sir ]oseph Paxton designed the ornate Spa buildings, Swiss Cottage and criss-cross cliff pathways leading from Cliff Bridge to the Spa. This Italian Terrace adjoining the Spa on the south side was gas-lit, with a shelter at the top and a bandstand below. The stone vases and ornate iron railings have gone, as has the diamond [lower bed. The lamps are now plain globes, the forecourt has been enlarged and a new bandstand below enhances an enlarged arena. (1. E. Seymour, Scarborough.)

'Italian Terrace, Scarborough.

15 The Spa began in 1826 when gossipy Mrs. Farrar found that mineral springs which stained the rocks brown could provide a medicinal drink. Early facilities were primitive. The first cistem was built in 1698, but overwhelmed by a landslip in 1737. A wooden spa was destroyed by a storm in 1836. A castellated Gothic Saloon designed by Henry Wyatt was opened in 1839 and enlarged in 1 847, spa water by then being an adjunct to entertainment. By 1858 came Sir ]oseph Paxton's Spa redevelopment and landscaping, but his Grand Hall was destroyed by fire in 1876. The fourth Spa, of French Baroque style as in the two pictures, was an enlargement by Verity and Hunt in 1879, with a castiron Grand Hall for 3,000, theatre, picture gallery, restaurant, colonnaded promenade

and sea wall. The North Well, chalybeate and tonic, and the South Well, salt, purgative and more generally curative, were by then minor attractions in an underground pump room beneath a bandstand.

16 Two bandstands, at either end of the main Spa complex, are shown in pictures 1 5 and 16. In the foreground, the straight promenade wall and pretty bandstand at the foot of Paxton' s Italian Terrace gave way in 1913 to a new, more solid, classical bandstand and glass-screened seating enclosure. The promenade and sea wall were curved out to accommodate this new development designed by Sir Edwin Cooper. The far bandstand, or North Orchestra, of 1875 had been built over the Pump Room which housed the ornate North and South Wells down 22 white marble steps. For long upstaged as a spa by Harrogate, Scarboraug h's tiled Pump Room was in use until 1909, with a short-lived revival from 1925. In 1931, however, the bandstand was demolished, and the stairway blocked off

beneath a glass kiosk, which in turn succumbed in 1980 in favour of a roundabout. (Valentines. )

Spa Promenade. Scarborough

17 Openedin 1827 byaprivate company, the Cliff or Spa Bridge greatly improved access from the town to the Spa for vi si tors on foot. The deep Ramsdale valley separated the two, and neither Foreshore Raad nor the Promenade had yet been made. This iron bridge leading from St. Nicholas' Cliff soared about 70 feet on stone pillars. A 6d toll was charged to cross the bridge and enter the spa grounds. By 1890 the toll was 1/ .d. Tolls lasted until 195 1, when Scarborough Council bought the bridge and abolished the tolls and toll booths. Meanwhile in 1860 the Ramsdale valley had become The People's Park. The lower parts of the lofty bridge pillar were incorporated in 1875 into an oriental style People's Palace andAquarium beneath the Valley Raad. Unsuccessful even with ex-

hibitions, concerts and a skating rink, it became an underground car park. Iust beside the left-hand toll booth, a cliff tramway with a 1 in 1 slope was built in 1 92 9 .

18 Taken from the Prince of Wales Hotel, this picture shows the cliff-top Esplanade above the Spa and Paxton's maturing gardens. On the left is The Terrace, the Crown Hotel with its lofty portico at its centre. The railed gardens indicate a second terrace. Built in the 1840s, they harked back to the Regency style and gave rise to Scarborough's nicknarne "The Brighton ofthe North'. Development on the South Cliff was accelerated by the building of the Spa's Gothic Saloon in 1839 and the arrival of the railway in 1845. Access to the South Cliff was improved when the VaHey Bridge was built in 186S.The curious ceremony of the Church Parade lasted until the out break of the First World War. Ladies and gentlemen in their Sunday best clothes would stroll up and down the

Esplanade after church, the ladies in their large hats and of ten with parasols too. (Valentines. )

Church Parade from Prlnce of Wales Hot~ 5"3"-- .?

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag