Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19 This view from the Spa grounds south of Cliff Bridge shows the position of the main beach, the harbour and the old town on the neck of land behind the Norman casde. Sea bathing soon outstripped spa waters as a health cure. Settrington's print of Scarborough in 1 735 is thought to be the first recording of bathing machines. A Scarborough print of 1 745 shows that low wheels had given way to larger ones for more discreet bathing in deeper water, but still naked. Telescapes led to ladies covering themselves neck to ankle in flannel costumes. The men went farther out in boats with a dressing roof. 'Dippers' ensured their clients a good, quick dunking and themselves a good turnover! Seawater drinking was part of the cure. The sea as fun came later. South beach had pier-

rots, ice cream carts, a performing bear and dogs and Punch and ]udy. Drives in horse-drawn carriages, waggonettes and charabancs were popular.

20 The Grand Hotel taak five years to build. Completed in 1867, it dominates the South Bay. At the time it was believed the largest in Europe, with twelve floars, 36S rooms, 260 bedrooms and a massive lounge and grand staircase. Designed by Cuthbert Broderick, its four domes represent the four seasons. On its site, Anne Bronte died at No. 2 St. Nicholas' Cliff in 1849. Fareshare Raad was completed in 1877 and Sandside by the harbour became Scarborough's Golden Mile. Bathing huts line the promenade. Below the Grand Hotel, Arcadia opened in 1903. Catlin of South Share Pierrots bought and demolished it in 1909 for his own Arcadia. Now the Futurist Theatre is on the site. Olympia opened in 1903 as the Fisheries Exhibition and burned down about 1970. Distant St. Mary's

parish church was damaged during the Civil War. lts chancel, north transept and west towers are missing, but the rest survives.

(Boots Cash Chemists.)

21St. Nicholas' House on the cliff top was built in the

1 840s for the Scarborough banker [ohn Woodall. It was built in Jacobean style by Henry Wyatt, designer also of the Spa's Gothic Saloon. The house and garden were bought in 1898 by Scarborough Council. Harry Smith, the Borough Engineer, added a matching new east wing for a council chamber and offices completed in 1903. He also redisigned St. Nicholas' Gardens, opened to the public in 1900. The ramp-like paths are now rustically fenced, the teardrop lamps are plain and the palm trees and pinnacles of the shelter have gone. Queen Victoria's statue in the gardens is the only public statue in the town. Behind the photographer is St. Nicholas' Cliff Tramway, 1881, by the Central Tramway Company (Scarborough) Ltd. Steam

operation has changed to electric, and the new cars of 1973 still operate.

22 'Rough Sea, South Bay, Scarborough' shows why harbours and fishing villages on the Yorkshire coast were tucked where pos si ble into the north corner of a bay behind a sheltering headland. The town's station and main street, Newborough, had been connected directly to the harbour and sands by a new street, Eastborough, in

1 862. Foreshore Road was completed in 1 877, connecting Eastborough to the new Aquarium below CIiffBridge (picture number 1 7). Trams ran along the sea front from 1904 until 1931. Note the gas lamps.

(Wherrits, Scarborough. Posted 1908.)

7

7

23 This 'View from Lighthouse Pier' shows the Grand Hotel, cliff tramway, St. Nicholas' Gardens and the newTown Hall (picture number 2 1) on the cliff, followed below by shops and entertainments on Foreshore Raad. Numerous small boats line the water's edge. Boats for pleasure and for line fishing in the bay for whiting, plaice, brill and [lounders were available on the beach for hire. Tunny fishing became active in the 193 Os. Beach entertainers included fortune tellers, minstrels, pierrots, acrobats and preachers. Photographers roamed for customers, sand modellers performed, and donkey rides were not only for children. Shellfish stalls and harbour activities were also attractions.

(Hartmann. Posted 1904.)

Scarboro

I.

View îrom li9?lqouse fier.

24 This card, 'A Peep out of the Harbour', was a painting by Frank Mason. The harbour of 1292 had declined by Tudor times, but survived on coal trade, fishing and whaling. Redevelopment in Georgian times saw the old or middle pier lengthened by Vincent in 1 732. The west or inner pier of 1820 was lengthened in 1879. The immense east or outer pier was completed about 1 81 7 with convict labour after decades of work. The brazier lighthouse of 1804 on Vincent's Pier was raised and domed in 1 840, bombarded in 1914 and rebuilt in 1931. The old inner harbour housed cargo boats and the fishing fleet, with the fish market on the west quay. Crowds watched the blessing of the boats. The North Wharf was made in 1926. Until the

193 Os up to 400 seasonal

herring boats came. Scottish lasses gutted and barrelled. The outer east harbour housed yachts and pleasure boats. Paddle steamers plied from about 1880 until 1910. (Posted 1904.)

25 The ancient harbour reached to where Quay Street now runs behind Sandside, but silted up. Shipyards occupied the seafront until wooden ships gave way to iron. Picturesque Sandside warehouses were cleared in 1902 for an approach to the Marine Drive being built round Castle Hill. Three ancient houses remain. No. 2 Quay Street and The Three Marmers' Inn are timberfrarned. Richard III House on Sandside has an Elizabethan exterior enclosing a medieval house of about 1350, probably the home of Peter Percy, the first mayor. Richard III as Lord High Admiral aften visited Scarborough before and during his reign of 14831485, reputedly staying here and at the castle. The house became a museum from 1914, a restaurant from 1964 and a House of Mystery

museum from 1989. It has also housed Missions to Seamen and a smithy.

26 A link between Scarboraug h's North and South Bays was praposed as early as the 1860s. North Bay development was slowand less successful. A tunnel under the castle and a seafront raad were suggested, bath large undertakings. The Royal Albert Drive along the foot of North Bay cliffs was already completed by 1890. The Marine Drive raund the foot of Castle Hill was begun in 1897 and not completed until 1908, being hampered by fierce storms. Tolls were charged on bath vehicles and pedestrians, and ended only in 1950. The South Toll House remains at the end ofSandside. The picture shows piledriving at the southern end, where the gleaming new sea wall joins up with the East Pier of the harbour.

27 This card shows the walk from the North Cliff to the castle on the headland 300 feet above the sea. A moat protected the landward side where the main buildings were sited. The Norman castle on the site of a Roman signal station was built by William Ie Gros about 1130 AD, and the massive keep 100 feet tall in the innermost bailey about 1160.The Queen'sTowerwas named after Richard Il l's wife Anne Neville. During the Civil War the castle was defended by Sir Hugh Cholmley, who surrendered when supplies ran out and retired to Whitby. The Parliamentary troops were stationed at the parish church. Both castle and church were damaged by cross fire from cannon. The castle was subsequently slighted, ending its power as a fortress. It was also bombarded from the sea in the

First World War. lts ruins and site are still impressive to visitors.

(Posted 1928.)

.. ""

28 North Bay lagged behind South Bay, being opened up mainly in the present century. lts early private attractions had been unsuccessful. The Warwick Revolving Tower of 1897 was demolished in 1907. Rock Gardens were lost in a landslip. The ironwork North Pier, opened in 1869, was failing despite an added shopping arcade. It was destroyed by a storm in 1905. The Council had already by 1890 protected the eroding cliff with Clarence Gardens and the Royal Albert Drive. After the Marine Drive link of 1908 came a North Bay development programme. Tuekers Field was transformed in 1912 into the ]apanese-style Peasholm Park. North Bay Promenade and Bungalows beyond Peasholm Gap were followed in the 1nOs and 193 Os by Peasholm GIen, Northstead

Manor Gardens, the Open Air Theatre, Cliff Tramway, Miniature Railway, Zoo, Swimming Pool, Corner Café and Scalby Mills, all remembered by thousands of vi si tors. (Valentines. )

lor th ß y nd B in.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag