Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29 Alexandra Gardens had been laid out in 1908 on Scarborough's North Cliff at Peasholm Gap near the ends of Queens Parade and Royal Albert Drive. There were bowling greens and tennis courts. An open air stage with a semicircle of seats was covered over in 1 91 0 as shown in this picture which was posted in 191 1. A long canopy over the pavement sheltered patrons entering horse-drawn carriages. There were concert parties and pierrots. The Fol-de-Rols played there from 191 1 until the 1960s. From then, famous entertainers including Arthur Askey and Jack Warner performed there. The Floral Hall was demolished in 1987. (Rotary Series. Posted 191 1.)

30 On the south corner of Robin Hood's Bay, the Peak cliffs soar to an almast sheer 600 feet above the sea. Here perches Raven Hall begun by a Captain Child in 1774. Then Dr. Willis, physician to George III, lived in it and treated the ailing king here. The hall became a hotel in 1896, when the estate was sold to a West Riding development company to create a new resort, Ravenscar. A grid pattern of roads and house plots was laid out on the cliff top behind a Marine Esplanade. Despite special train trips to tempt buyers, only a few lonely plots were ever built on. Barely distinguishable tracks mark "The Town that Never Was'. Ravenscar station on the scenic coastal railway is seen here beside a grassy square with a row of farmer shops. The line closed in the 1960s. Ravenscar became the

terminus of the Lyke Wake Walk, and now has a National Trust centre near the former Stoup Alum Works in the bay.

3 1 This charming Edwardian picture by Geoffrey Hastings illustrated Robin Hood's Bay in Kendall and Wroot's 'Geology ofYorkshire'. The white line behind the lady was the old bay road near which was the gantry at which alum from Peak Alum works (1615-1862) was shipped. There were two alum works in the upper recesses of the amphitheatre of cliffs. Stoup Brow (see quarry in picture 32) worked from 1 752 until 1817. Alum shales were quarried, burned in clamps, soaked and crystallised into alum mainly used for fixing dyes into woollen cloth and tanning leather. The alum industry ended in the 187 Os, ha ving lasted off and on along the Yorkshire Coast and Cleveland Hills for three centuries. The inner part of the sweeping bay is eroding masses of boulder clay left after the lee

Age, cut by streams into deep gullies, as at Boggle Hole watermill and Youth Hostel. At low tide can be seen the remnants of a dome of [urassic rocks eroded into semicircular scars.

~' .

.---

'-' .~:.:- .:.··V!~

'l -.-

32 Picturesque Robin Hood's Bay, or BayTown, clusters along Kings Beek in a maze of steep alleyways. It began in the 15th century for fishing. 22 houses were lost to the sea in Elizabeth's reign, and Upper King Street fell in 1780. New Raad then

became the main street. The former Bay Hotel and 193 houses were lost during the last 200 years. A strang sea wall was built in 1975. The Doek is just a slope where fishing boats were pulled up and Whitsun Fairs held. Until the close of the 19th century fishing was the main livelihood. 1 30 fishermen worked five large boats and 35 cobles, rivalling Whitby and Scarborough. Boys mended nets. Wamen baited the lines and barrelled the fish sent to local and Whitby markets, York, the Midlands and London. But with na harbour, larger boats

could not be used, and fishing faded. Smuggling had used a network of passageways, tunnels and cellars. Adjoining houses had false cupboards.

33 BayTown expanded up the Bank with NewTown and Mount Pleasant, especially after the coastal railway arrived. Some wealthier sea captains and shipowners had already moved up. The Esplanade, Bloomswell and Martins Row pointed towards the sea and The Square, pictured here with the sign 'Marmers' Tavern'. The Square was probably an early uptown development as the inn was a haunt of smugglers with a secret tunnel in the cliff. The first school was established in two cottages in The Square in 1910. Victorian and Edwardian brick houses, hotels and villas were built on high at Mount Pleasant, near Robin Hood's Bay station, which is remembered as well kept and having flower beds and camping coaches. With the railway came artists and writers, tourists and retired

people. The railway closed in 1965.

34 Whitby was famed for St. lIilda's SaxonAbbey ofStreonshalh and the Synod which in 664 AD reconciled Roman and Celtic church practice. Refounded alongside in

1078, the Benedictine Abbey forms a spectacular landmark on the East Cliff beside the monks' fishpond. The ruins are those of the monastic church gradually rebuilt from 12 2 0 over 300 years. After the Dissolution in 1536 it became ruinous. The nave, south transept and west front collapsed in turn during gal es in the 18th century. The central tower collapsed in 1830. German warships did damage in 1914. Other monastic buildings entirely disappeared. The monastic abbey and town had passed to the Cholmley family, who built Abbey House nearby about 1590 with abbey stones, and added a banqueting hall circa

1680 which was ruined in a gale. The house is now a CHA holiday centre and the stables a Youth Hostel.

(Horrocks. Posted 1909.)

35 St. Mary's parish church is unique and utterly amazing. Reached from the town by 199 steps, it lost favour with parishioners when the West Cliff was developed as a holiday resort with a new Victorian church, and was left unaltered. The Norman nave and chancelof about 1100 AD gained a tower in 1 1 70, transepts in 1225 and 1380. The Cholmleys' pew of about 1625 on barley-sugar stilts arrongantly hid the Norman chancel arch. From about 1700 gallery after gallery was put round the interior, and the ship's deck roof and windows were built by ship's carpenters when a huge seaward extension was made in 1 81 9. The three-decker pulpit lords it over a sea of ancient box pews seating 2,000, still warmed by an iron stove and lit by candles for occasional services.

36 The Cholmleys became Lords of the Manor ofWhitby. Haggerlythe, a continuation of Kirkgate under the East Cliff, was recorded in 1270. In 1 761 it was renamed Henrietta Street after Nathaniel Cholmley's wife. Sub sequently most of it disappeared in clifffalls, but the Fortune tamily's kippering house survived, the last in Whitby and a traditional mecca for vi sitars. Jet from the cliffs was carved into souvenir jewellery and ornaments and one jet workshop remains intact at the foot of Church Steps. Nathaniel Cholmley in 1788 financed the newTown Hall pictured here in the Market Square in Church Street, formerly Kirkgate. Dairy produce was sold behind the pillars. A stone spiral stair led to the manor court and burgesses' meetings above. The abbey's chancel

and north transept are pictured, probably before consolidation work was carried out.

37 Tin Ghaut at the Church Street end of Grape Lane was demolished in 1959 amid protest. It was one of numerous yards or ghauts behind the old streets ofWhitby, from which same were entered through tunnels. Buildings crowded in at various levels, same below street level and up and down steps. Same yards, like Tin Ghaut, led down to the harbour side, others backed up to the cliffs. Many of the surviving on es have been tidied up and still have small businesses. They are a quaint survival of the old town crowded under the cliffs in the gorge of the river Esk. Arguments Yard off Church Street is wen known, and still causes amusement. A local firm, Argument, owned bathing machines. Loggerhead yard went down to the harbour off Baxtergate.

O. Salmon.)

38 These galleried houses on Boulby Bank were demolished in 1958. They were on the east side ofthe inner harbour and behind the east si de of Church Street, between Bridge Street and Green Lane, roughly opposite the railway station and Endeavour Wharf of 1965, where the whale blubber boiling houses and ship-building yards had been. They provided another sart of solution to building up the cliffs. At the foot of the cliff was Boulby's Ropery, marked on [ohn Wood's Plan of Whitby, 1828. Atthe top of the Bank was the house of Sir Anthony Boulby, a noted surgeon and member of an old Whitby family.

(Copyright photograph courtesy of]udges Postcards Ltd., Hastings, 01424 420919.)

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag