Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39 Beside the outer harbour on the west side, Haggersgate or Hacklesougate was named in a charter of 1296. St. Ann's Staithe or Quay with houses on was built out over the water on wooden piles or staithes before 1639, but long gone except for the name. St. Ann's Lane led up to Flowergate on the west and stepping stones led acrass the river. The seaward end of Haggersgate used to be covered at high tide, and was raised up near the pier in the 18th century. The harbourside raad leading to the Fish Quay and West Pier was widened to give more space for quayside activities. Lined with shops and stalls, it became thranged in summer. On the left are Edward's confectioners, the Red Lion and Grays. (Valentines. )

St Ann s Staithe, Wh,' f

'-. . ...

. ":. z-

40 The herring fleet is tied up here in the inner harbour beyond the bridge, with a backdrop ofbuildings crowding Grape Lane and Kirkgate. The stables of Abbey House perch on the cliff above. Captain Cock's wooden expedition ships, the Whitby 'cats' or colliers designed for coastal trade, were built on the west bank, now occupied by the Endeavour Wharf built in 1965. Around the inner harbour were four boiling houses for whale blubber oil for lighting, lubricants, soap and paint. 55 Whitby ships made 577 Arctic whaling voyages over an eighty-year period. The Whitby Herring Company was formed in 1833 to cure herrings and other fish for home and export. Scottish herring boats and fisher lasses used to follow the shoals ofherrings, nicknamed silver darlings,

down the east coast as far as Yarmouth.

(Valentines. )

Herring Fleet Unlnding, Whi by

41 Fishing boats are shown here by the quayside in Whitby's outer harbour, probably about the turn of the century, when sail was not yet replaced by motor boats. Fishing boats were numerous from the 14th century, paying dues to the Abbey. The difficult entrance to the outer harbour was protected by a series of piers built out into the sea. Timber ones were recorded

in 1 545. These were rebuilt in stone and timber by Sir Hugh Cholmleyin 1632,andin stone in the 18th and early 19th century when the final extensions were made. The lighthouses were built in 1814 and 1854. High on the West Cliff is the Royal Hotel in the new resort founded by George Hudson, when his Pickering to Whitby railway arrived in 1847. This tinted card was produced by Horne and Son, Abbey Press, Whitby.

They were printers and publishers ofthe Whitby Gazette and Visitors' List from 1854. The newspaper is still in production.

42 Postcards ofWhitby scenes edged with gilt borders and a green surround with gilded patriotic symbols were produced by Raphael Tuck and Sans. This shows a paddle steamer passing Tate Hill Pier near Burgess Pier at the foot of Church Steps. Trips could be taken around Whitby Bay or to Scarborough. In the background the landslips which carried away much of Henrietta Street appear as raw scars on the

left. A chalybeate spring in East Cliff reached by a ladder and baths at the foot were also destroyed. Much ofEast Cliff consists of crumbly shales with a layer of jet rock at the base at tide level. Jet was worked in 200 workshops until 1890 and, farther round the cliff, alum shales were worked at Saltwiek Nab until 1821. Bath industries added to the prosperity of

Whitby as a seafaring town which had over 1,000 sea-

men.

(Courtesy of Fine Art Developments plc.)

43 At Ruswarp, the first village up the river Esk from Whitby harbour and station, the Baat Landing was a pleasant spot for visitors. A cattle market and a flour mill served the local area, and the mill weir and dam allowed rowing boats for pleasure near Ruswarp station, as shown in this card. The mill was recently turned into flats. (Brittain & Wright. Posted 1905.)

USWARP.

-- --

44 Visitors to Whitby eould also follow footpaths inland along Eskdale to beauty spots, including Golden Grove, Falling Foss wat erf all and Sleights, or by railway to Goathland and the wat erf all Mallyon Spout. Some footpaths were flagged. From Ruswarp popular footpaths led along the wooded Rigg Mill Beek to Rigg Mill, where there was a ford. Rigg Mill could also be reaehed from Hawsker station on the eoastal railway.

(Copyright photograph eourtesy of]udges Posteards Ltd., Hastings, 01424 420919.)

45 Sandsend developed in a small way as a quiet holiday beaeh of firm sands at the narth end of Whitby Bay, where Sandsend Beek and East Row Beek run parallel to the sea. Seafront houses and the modest promenade between the beeks are shown in this eard posted in 1910. The older houses at East Row Beek were built for alum warkers. Courtesy paths led beside Sandsend Beek through woods on the Mulgrave Castle Estate, where the farmer eastle built in 1200 AD lay in ruins. This beaeh no doubt beeame popular after the eoastal railway and station arrived in 1883.

46 The coastal railway closed in 1958. The iron viaduct was demolished, but the station building remains. The railway ran north along the cliff edge via three old alum quarries and through a tunnel beyond. The present car park beside steep Lythe Bank is on the site ofthe boiling house ofSandsend alum works, one of the most successful on the Yorkshire coast. It operated in Mulgrave woods and cliffs from 1615 until about 1870. When Peter Spence invented a new process, the industry moved to the coalfields and the old works scooped out of the Yorkshire cliffs and Cleveland Hills died. In the upper layers of the Lias shales at Sandsend occurred lines of calcareons nodules or cement stones which were extracted until at least the 1920s to make Mulgrave Cement. The

quarries are now a nature trail. (Photograph courtesy of ]udges Postcards Ltd., Hastings 01424 420919.)

47 A long battle with its slipping cliff has ensued since 1664 when all but one house of the old village of Runswiek Bay slid into the sea. Rebuilt nearby, the small, red-roofed village dings to its diff in a jumble of cottages connected by a maze of cobbled pathways. Last century the villagers fished from twenty cobles and five yawls. Beloved of artists, it is now a holiday village. Cliff slips and falls still occur, and the winding access lane has had to be dosed. A wide new road was sliced down the bay in 1962 for visitor parking by the beach. A new sea wall came in 1970. Mothers used to bring children with whooping cough to Hob Holes to plead with Hob the goblin for a eure. Kettleness headland, supported by ironstone rock at its base, was reshaped by alum

quarrying between 1728 and 187l.

(Fine Art Developments plc. Posted 1907.)

48 Port Mulgrave harbour was built in the 18S0s in a small bay beneath a 30o-foot cliff. A private harbour, it served Charles Mark Palrner's Grinkle mine three miles inland. The ironstone was conveyed in a rope-hauled tramway passing through two long tunnels to emerge on to gantries on the quay, from which hoppers discharged into ships bound for Palrner's shipyards in [arrow on the Tyne. The mine and harbour closed in 192 1, the mine already ha ving been connected to the coastal railway. The port installations were removed after a severe fire. The harbour was breached during the Second World War to prevent a German landing, and again by the drastic storm of 1953. On the cliff top were the engine house, offices, Short Row and Long Row for the port workers. Palmer built

for himself near the mine the mansion Grinkle Park, now a hotel.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag