Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

49 Staithes huddles beside Raxby Beck as it enters the small bay between Cawbar Nab and Penny Nab, There was anly a tiny quay, but boats were beached on the share ar moored up the creek behind Cawbar headland. The original village, Seaton, was inland. By the 15th century, it had been deserted for Staithes which grew to be the preeminent fishing village af the Yorkshire coast. At its peak there were around 300-400 fishermen and up to 120 boats. Slow decline fallawed the advent af steam trawlers, refrigeratian, Whitby fishing fleet's revival, two World Wars and the coastal railway clasure. But Staithes had other interests, and expanded inland with hausing for local ironstane miners. Alum and ironstane were shipped, same jet was mined, an artist's calany grew and haliday

makers and day trippers flacked by train and car. (Brittain and Wright. Posred 1911.)

SO The scenic coastal route was a feat of railway construction, taking many years to complete. FIOm the 1880s, a lofty lattice girder viaduct taak the railway soaring over the deep gIen to Staithes station at the top of the bank. Staithes viaduct had a unique wind gauge with a bell to sound in the signal box when it was unsafe for a train to cross! Only the abutments and pillar bases remain after demolition, and the station area is now a car park. Three fish trains weekly taak fish to York, Leeds, Manchester and London. Visitors came by rail from industrial Teesside, or dropped off for half a day at Staithes on their way to Whitby. The last through train between Whitby and Loftus ranin 1958.

(1. Watson, Lyth.)

5 1 The approach to old Staithes leads steeply down the bank from the station into High Street, where tall buildings emphasise the narrowness of the street. About six times the size of Runswick, it developed largely in the 19th century a town-like appearance, with numerous shops, a Co-op., a bank, two hotels, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist and Bethel Congregational chapels, a Mission Room, a Roman Catholic church, a Board School and a Fisherman's Institute. Behind the frontages was a maze of passages leading to houses at higher and lower levels and to the beck and a footbridge to Cowbar.

52 Taking a photograph was an event which drew people's attention in the High Street, seen here in its level stretch. Victorian and Edwardian bays have been added as well as shop windows. The sharp turn leads to the sea front. Old Staithes was a tight-knit community with a few old families dominant: the Verrills, Unthanks, Theakers, Lavericks, Seekers, Coles, Roddams and Browns. Alocal dialect with Norse influence was spoken. Nicknames were commonly used, as Black Dick, Fancy Joe, Talking Tom and Old Dutchy.

(Posted in 1907.)

53 A labyrinth of narrow passageways, vennels or ginnels connected by flights of steps and paved or cobbled slopes, gave access to the stone and pantiled cottages piled above each other on the steep valley side. Same passages had odd names: Slip Top, Dog Loup, Stone Gap, Gun and Gutter and The Old Stubble. The ladies in the picture are wearing traditional clothing. The Staithes bonnet is of a design special to Staithes, with a long poke and a frilled back flap, and is still warn by same ladies for visitars and special events. The man wears his guernsey or 'gansey' and perhaps blue pilot cloth trousers. Fishermen formerly ware knee breeches.

,. 1'11 0/ Old SlaUhes

S4 Looking down Staithes creek at the seaward end of Roxby Beck we see Penny Nab, the east cheek of the bay. On the left is the roadside below Cowbar Nab with its line of cottages and the lifeboat station housed from 187 S in the disused alum warehouse. The road from here leads back and steeply upwards to Cowbar and terraced houses formerly for workers at Boulby alum works on the cliffs to the north. Cobles are moored at low tide in the shelter of the Nab, Staithes cobles had the stable traditional Viking style of clinker-built sides, flat bottoms, a high pointed prow and a flat rear, yet could be carried on land by two men. By 19 SO, fishing had almost died, but some inshore crab and lobster catching still goes on. In the early decades of this century Staithes became

an artists' colony under the influence ofDarne Laura Knight. Artists still come to paint the picturesque scenes.

SS High Street ends in a narrow approach to the short sea front and beach of Staithes beyond The Cad and Lobster public house. On the right are Barras or Barris Steps. They led to a square surrounded by houses on three sides, the only open space in closelypacked old Staithes apart from the sea front. Several paths converged on The Barras, which used to have a public pump. Was this a general meeting place where the annual Fair was held, perhaps an informal market place or a net mending space? Preparations for the Fair or Feast kept the public bakehause busy, as few cottages had ovens. The Fair has more recently become Carnival Week.

56 The Cod and Lobster inn stood as an isolated block of buildings at the end of High Street. A small promenade behind it led pedestrians round to the sea front, sands and boat landings at Seaton Garth. The old inn buildings seen in the picture were badly damaged in the devastating east coast storm and tidal surge of 1953, and were rebuilt. Crab sandwiches are still a favourite with vi si tors. (Frith.)

57 Staithes in its small bay was particularly vulnerable to the sea rather than to cliff falls. In the 18th century a whole street was washed away. William Sanderson's shop, where Captain Cook was apprenticed, went about 1812, and in 1832 thirteen houses also went. A village school was said in 1890 to have been lost to the sea 'in living memory', and the Square between rows of houses at Seaton Garth was also washed away. In 1928 a breakwater and harbour was built by the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries. This card entitled 'High Tide' was posted during Edward Vll's reign. The waves are dashing against the buildings in the yards behind the lower part of High Street. The Cad and Lobster juts out to the left, and cottages at Seaton Garth are in the distance.

(Brittain and Wright. Posted pre-1910.)

58 Entitled 'Selling the Crabs', this picture shows typical cobles drawn up on the beach, their long aars leaning against the sea wall. Out at sea, groups of threeman cobles could off-load their fish on to a five-man yawl. Nets are drying on the railings. A group of men watches the men and wamen below, presumably 'unlading' the catch. The wamen are wearing their typical white aprons and Staithes bonnets. One woman appears to have samething on top of her bannet. The wamen normally carried loads on their heads as the village alleyways were impossible for harses and carts, and same even for donkeys. Water from the beck, bread from the bakehause, fish, bait and even building materials were balanced on womeri's heads.

(Valentines. )

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag