Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

59 The seamen are wearing their navy blue 'ganseys' (a dialect variant af Guernseys or Jerseys), hand-knitted by the wamen af the farnily to the traditianal Staithes pattem. Each fishing village had its awn stitch pattern by which the provenance af fishermen cauld be recagnised, especially after injury or drowning. Wamen callected flithers (limpets) for bait, baited the lines, cut up and salted fish, saaked it in brine to pickle and dry on the beach, repaired nets, launched boats and attended fish auctians. Herring, cadling, mackerel and haddoek, ling, turbot, crab and labster were caught. Fifteen herring boats went aff to Yarmouth in the seasan. (Pasted 1904.)

RTAITHE::)

A CHARACTERI~TIC SCE,'g

60 Fishermen's cottages about the turn of the century at the far end of the bay at Seaton Garth are built up against the slope of Penny Nab, Oars are propped up on the shales and shingle. A collection of floats and nets hangs over what appears to be a winch or winding apparatus for hauling boats or nets. The bonnetred lady shows that the ground floor of the whitewashed stone cottage is sunken. Her windows are of the so-called Yorkshire sash or sideways sliding sash, sa typical of the area until recent times.

61 Chureh Street, Staithes, ran steeply down the bank parallel with High Street, but in a separate valley. It was thought to be the route to the old parish ehureh at HinderweIl. It seems less developed than High Street, and more homely. The man wearing gaiters and earrying eans on a yoke may be a loeal farmer delivering milk, whieh was also delivered on a donkey with panniers. Another similar posteard eatehes wamen in bonnets gos si ping and hens running about the street.

62 The tiny farming and fishing community in the deep Skinningrove valley was transfarmed from 1 848 by companies mining the Main Seam of the Cleveland ironstone. By the 1890s over 700 men were employed, the Skinningrove Iron Company's warks were on the cliff top, and in 1890 the company built astrong jetty far below. The Quaker company Pease and Partners mined here from 1868. They recIaimed the estuary with a sea wall and in the 1870s built for their

inca ming warkers this model village of 200 terraced houses with two chapels, a school, a Miners' Institute and a hospital. Healthy leisure was in Tirnrn's Coffee House,

cricket, quoits, allatment gardens and pigeon crees. The men taak to work a food box, a tea or coffee tin and a candIe holder, and ware mole-

skin or fustian trousers. Mining ended in 1958. Almast all these houses were demolished. Fewer new ones with gardens have replaced them.

63 Old Saltburn nestled at Huntcliff, where the rocky cliffs of Yorkshire end. In 1861 Henry Pease extended the Stockton and Darlington Railway to serve his new genteel resort ofSaltburn-by-the Sea between the Skelton Beck and Hazel Grove. His Improvement Company provided the pier, cllfl lifi and 'bathing machines and attendants at all times'. From the pier, steamers plied to Hartlepool, Whitby and Scarborough. The pier, now the only survivor of six on the Yorkshire coast, was opened in 1870, but damaged by storms in 1874and 1875.Itwas bought in 1880 by the Middlesbrough Estates Company and rebuilt with a bandstand, shelters, theatre and shops. Rammed by the ship 'Ovenberg' in 1924, it was reconnected in 1930, only to be partly dismantled in the

Second World War. Reunited in 1947, the storms of 1953 and 1974 led to its being shortened, but still in use. (Posted 1903.)

64 At first Saltburn pier was reached from the town via a vertical rope-hauled wooden lift or hoi st with a cage for twenty passengers. The lift was replaced from 1884 by this water-balanced inclined hydraulic tramway with cars for ten passengers each. A spring in the cliff fed a reservoir from which water was pumped in turn to a tank under the upper car. The early cars had red plush seating and stained glass windows. This picture was taken from the pier beyond its two entrance shops.

(Dainty Series. Posted 191 2.)

65 Cat Nab, a curious hill of day, shelters Skelton Beek, the farm with a barn and gin-gan for threshing and the stables with circular haystacks. On the right is the fishing and smuggling hamlet of old Saltburn with the Ship Inn, possibly 16th century, now a pub and restaurant. The Assembly Rooms for theatre, coneerts and balls, now gone, were built in 1864 at the lower end ofSkelton gIen. Now there is a small fairground and stalls. Bathing machines were used near the Ship Inn until the Second World War. A childrerr's Sand Service was held on August Bank Holidays. Motor Race DayTrials were held on the sands until 1914, and in 192 2 -192 4 Maleolm Campbell broke the World Speed Record, but was disallowed. Seas in 1938 spoiled the sands and racing moved to Coatham sands, all to be

stripped by the sea surge of 1953.

(Posted 1903.)

_S'LT.~U'N-C"._N'.' e ~~. :':';Y~"'~'I~:--' .. '. ~

... ~ ~..... cU...

~~. ~ 1: .... ,:.~ .. ~tQ-

66 The Zetland Hotel was opened in 1863. The centrepiece of the new resort, it was flanked by Balmaral and Britannia Terraces. The railway offloaded supplies straight into the rear of the hotel. Behind, astride the station, came a grid-iron of streets of boarding houses, glass and iran canopied shops and a graup named Emerald, Ruby, Amber, Gamet, Pearl, Caral and Diamond Streets. This was Henry Peasc's jewelled city, his Celestial City ar New ]erusalem, also called a Narth Country Brighton and even The Teneriffe of the Narth! It was select, with quiet beaches, tolls on the pier and gardens and na public

houses. After the war it became more a residential town farTeesside. The Alexandra, Queen's and Zetland Hotels were converted into apartments. The white-brick

town of the 1860s now celebrates its past with a Victarian and Heritage week each August.

67 At the west end of the resort, overlooking Hazel Grove, Pease and Partners built their white brick Convalescent Home, opened in 1872 to accommodate seventy of their workers free of charge for a week. It was a particular interest ofMary Pease, Henry's wife. She used to write many letters concerning it from the sunny drawing room of their mansion 'Pietrernont' in Darlington. From the mid-19th century the Peases had about a dozen ironstone mines in the Cleveland area. They had begun a convalescent home in 1867 in two cottages.

68 The Italian Gardens were Henry Peasc's special creation in the Skelton Valley Gardens which 'Art has converted into a Paradise of Beauty' . Trees were planted, terraced paths and gravelled walks laid, greenhouses and a gardener's house built, and provision made for tennis and croquet. After Prince Albert died, the classical portico of Barnard Castle' s first station was erected high in the gardens as the Albert Memorialof 1861. Stone sleep ers from the early years ofthe Stockton and Darlington Railway formed steps up to the memorial. The Halfpenny Bridge, an iron girder toll bridge on cast iron columns, crossed over the gardens, but was demolished asunsafein 1974.Inanook at the upper end ofthe gardens was a bubbling chalybeate spring of benefit for anaemia, stomach and skin

complaints. Plants now grow in the little spa basin.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag