Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards

Autor
:   Vera Chapman
Gemeinde
:  
Bundesland
:   Yorkshire
Land
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6482-5
Seiten
:   80
Preis
:   EUR 16.95 inkl. MwSt. *

Lieferzeit: 2-3 Wochen (unverbindlich). Der gezeigte Umschlag kann abweichen.

   


Auszüge aus dem Buch 'Yorkshire Seaside Resorts and Harbours in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69 Upstream from the Valley Gardens visitors could continue along paths through this thick woodland beauty spot by courtesy of the Earl of Zetland. Near Rifts Wood the coastal railway from Whitby crossed the deep ravine of the Skelton Beek. Below; as seen looking downstream from the lofty viaduct, is Rifts Wood Mill or Marske Mill. The mill race ran along a rock face and under the viaduct to reach the mill and rejoin the beek, but the mill becarne ruinous. On the left, Rushpool Hall towers above the beek, a Victorian Gothic country house off Saltburn Lane, now a hotel. It was built for [ohn Bell in 1863, gutted by fire in 1906 and rebuilt. Joseph Walton MP and Arthur ]. Dorman, the Teesside ironmaster, have both lived there.

(Photochrom. )

70 Although cobles were launehed from the beaeh, Marske-by-the-Sea was mainly a farming village. The older north end of High Street, still with a eruekframed house, grew southwards when miners, the railway and an ineipient re sart arrived. Fram the 1860s Pease and Partners built New Marske village at their Upleatham mine two miles inland. Old Marske eurved off in terraeed houses ending with Cliff Terraee at the beaeh. These houses, pictured in the 1920s, look over Spout Beek, one of many eoastal gulleys or 'howles' whieh cut the low day diffs. On their brink the tower of St. Germain's, the old parish ehureh, was kept as a landmark for ships. This rough 'howle' , its stream eulverted, beeame Val-

ley Gardens. The former tithe barn beeame a grain store. The High Street was extended in 1925 as the eoast raad to Redear.

(]. W Pounder. Posted 1929.)

71 ]oseph Pease of Darlington bought Cliff Terrace, Marske-by-the-Sea, in 1844. Beyond it, perched above the beach amongst sandhills, Cliff House became his family holiday home. On a headland between Spout Beck Howle and Flat Howle, the castellated Gothic mansion was said to be built of freestone from Upleatham mine. A maat was surmounted by a sea front terrace balustraded with Peasc's white bricks. Since ]oseph was blind for the last seven years of his life, the 'maat' was perhaps a device for exercise without supervision. His Darlington home had a trench called 'blind mari's walk'. His brother Arthur's widow and family later lived at CliffHouse, then her son Claude, a noted polo player. Many visitors will

remember it as a H.F. (Holiday Fellowship) Guest House, It is now sheltered housing.

72 Marske Hall on Kirkleatharn Raad was built near the centre of Marske in

1 625 by Sir William Pennyman. Facing the busy Kirkleatharn Raad over open lawns, it is a well-known landmark near the shopping centre now that Marske has become a large residential area. Externally the hall had changed little. Two stone dormers had gone and the leaded windows had become sashes. Stone dames over three square towers and the Pennyman arms in a square panel mark it out. Sir William died in the Royalist cause during the Civil War. The hall and manors ofSaltburn, Marske, Upleatham and Redcar were bought in the 18th century by the Dundas family of Aske, later Earls of Zetland. The hall was restored about

1900 as a summer residence for Lord and Lady Zetland between the London and shooting seasons. It is now a Cheshire Home for disabled people.

73 Redcar High Street had market stalls on both sides. The cast iran drinking fountain was wrecked by a car in 1923. The taH red lamp nearby was one of two lined up to guide ships. Now the Edward VII memorial dock tower is the focal point. There are few old buildings except at the Coatham end. Blown sand was a big problem. The old fishing village and quiet bathing resort developed rapidly after the railway came in 1846. High Street boarding houses later became shops. Before and after the First World War Redcar was in its hey-day as the holiday resort for industrial Teesside. After the Second World War industry encroached downstream towards Teesmouth. Redear, unable to compete with cheap holidays abroad,

expanded as a dormitory town with summer weekend day - trippers.

(Gem Series. Posted 1908.)

74 Redcar's sea wall and promenade were built about 1870. Horse racing and training used the beach until the racecourse opened in 1872. A Convalescent Home of 1861 expanded to take 180 patients. Redcar as a spa may have meant seawater treatments at the Hydropathic Establishment on the Esplanade. The 1890s saw N-E-R tourist rail tickets to Redcar. Excursion trains brought mass vi sits in workers' annual outings and trips for underprivileged children. Bathing machines and tents, sand yachting, pierrots, motor speed trials, paddle steamer trips and donkey rides are remembered from between the wars. Redcar's chief attraction, its firm sands, smooth as velvet and flat as a pancake, came right up to the promenade until 1938, when storms began to

remove them. Sun City, a vast remedial marina proposed in the 1960s, was not built. (Dainty Series. Posted 1912.)

75 Piers were built at Redcar, 1871, at Redcar Lane end,

and at Coatham, 1873, at Station Road end. Both piers had a chequered history. Redcar pier was struck by ships in the 1880s and 1890s and shortened, then burnt down in 1898. A pierhead pavilion and ballroom of 1907, enlarged with tearooms in 1928, must have replaced the kiosks in the picture. Cut during the Second World War, storm damage then led to demolition. The ballroom survived, but has now gone. The lifeboat museum opposite houses the Zetland, built in 1800 and retired in 1880, the world's oldest surviving lifeboat. Coatham pier was hit by two ships in its first year and shortened. Wrecked by a hit in 1898, theremnants were dismantled. The pierhead concert hall was rebuilt in the lnOs as the New

Pavilion, and became the Regent Cinema in the 1960s. Under concrete arches below was a café.

(Dainty Series. Posted 1912.)

76 West or Salt Scar and East Scar run out from Redcar beach. A ]apanese ship, the Awa Maru, was stranded on West Scar in a thunderstorm on 27 December 1906, and refloated in ]anuary. Redcar lifeboat and fishing boats saved the crew, who were accommodated in the Swan Hotel in High Street. The Yorkshire coast was a graveyard for ships, bath sail and steam, especially in north-east gales. Even Whitby, Scarborough and Bridlington were inaccessible at low tide. Despite a plan in 1832 to build a harbour of refuge in the deep water between the scars at Redcar, na harbour was ever built. Ta improve access to the silted estuary of the Tees, the South Gare breakwater was built between 1861 and 1888, using ironworks slag. Later slag dumping, however, in time built up

an underwater reef which has affected tides and beaches.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Kolophon | Privacy | Haftungsausschluss | Lieferbedingungen | © 2009 - 2020 Europäische Bibliothek Verlag