Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2

Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2

Author
:   John Clark
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Aberdeen
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-6646-1
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aberdeen in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49 Marcliffe Hotel

The Marcliffe Hotel was set up in 1951 on Queeri's Terrace, boasting a unique tartan lounge. Margaret and Clifford Jordan established it. Mr. Jordan had been a dance bandleader in the Tivoli Theatre and it was initially used as a guesthouse by visiting theatrical folk. Between 1959 and 1979 Mr. A.P. Brown of Frazerburgh owned the hotel and he expanded the business both in size and facilities. He sold to Mr. ]. Stewart Spence who developed it further. The old building has been replaced by office developments but the name is retained in the Marcliffe at Pitfodels.

50 Caledonian Hotel

Ihe Caledonian Hotel was built as the Grand Hotel and opened in 1892. White Kemnay granite was used for the construction in Italian renaissance style architecture. The hotel changed its name in 1 930 wh en a syndicate of local businessmen purchased it for ßO,OOO. This was a bargain as it cost f,80,OOO to build in the first place. The Caledonian is rightly proud of its ability to attract the finest clientele, including politicians, film stars and royalty. H.R.H. the Queen, Sir Anthony Eden and Clark Gable were all entertained at the Caledonian.

CALEDONIAN HOTEL, ABERDEEN

5 1 Forester HilI Hospital Forester Hill was the brainchild of Professor Matthew Hay, who began planning the hospital complex in 1920. He was a distinguished figure who served as Aberdeen's Medical Officer for many years. The new Royal Infirmary, which included this smart kitchen, finally opened on 24 September 1936. School children were given a day's holiday but probably did not appreciate the economies of scale achieved by several hospitals sharing facilities including radiography, laundry and nurse training services.

52 Forester HilI Hospital

In 1927 the Lord Provost began the fund raising needed for the new hospital. In those pre- NHS days every community had to fend for itself. Among money raising ideas was the sale of postcards by the Press and Journal, of which this and the previous card are two examples. In aH es 25 ,000 was raised by public donations to meet the fuH cast of the

5 0 0- bed hospital.

53 Gas loco

Aberdeen Corporation Gas works between 1914 and 1918 used this steam locomotive. They needed an additional engine ra cover the extra demands, which occurred during the war. The city paid f., 1164 and was canny enough to sell her at ct 800. The shunter's cylinders were 14 inch in diameter and you can see from the maker's nameplate that Andrew Barclay Sons ofKilmarnock built her.

54 Fish train

The Up Train is leaving Aberdeen hauled by

N°. 9899 ]eannie Deans and N°. 6394 Lord]ames of Dauglas, which were bath 4-4-0 's. The marketing of fish taak off with the arrival of the railway line. Lorries until did not challenge railway deliver after 1930.

55 LNER 6889

This engine is seen at Kittybrewster in August 1933. The locomotive was one of a dass of nine, Class GI 0, built in 1893 by Neilsen and Co. An 0-4-4 design, the driving wheels were five feet in diameter, and she weighed 53 tons wh en full induding two tons of coal. She was rebuilt with a new boiler in

1 92 1 . These engines were all based at Kittybrewster and worked the Aberdeen suburban services until April 1937 when the service was withdrawn. They ran to Dyce and Culter and occasionally as far a Banchory or Boddam. Wh en the engine's 'subby' service days were over it had a

brief spell at Thornton down in Fife as the Kirkcaldy pilot engine, before ending its working life as the pilot at Keith. It was scraped in 1940 after 47 years of service.

56 Joint Station

The foundation stone of the new Joint Railway Station building was laid on 28 May 1913 and by July the following year all the new platforms were in use. 1 90 men worked on the demolition of the old building and construction of this one. The bulk of the material is Freestone from Northumberland but some Kemnay granite is used. The concourse has a glass and steel roof measuring 245 by 97 feet. Either side of the train indicator board stairs provided access to the suburban lines. Behind the main bookstall, shown in this view, were the stationmaster and telegraph offices. There were separate parcel offices for the Caledonian Railway

and the North British Railway. A modern feature was an electric dock system synchronized from a master dock in the booking office. The card was posted in 1934.

57 Woodside Station

The message on this card says that it was taken in the summer of 1912. The writer, who unfortunately does not identify himself, says that it is his wife on the platform. The Highland Railway sent two engines to Inverness every day, at this peri ad. The GNS did likewise with two services. According to the card this engine is returning to Inverness with the 2.20 PM Express from Aberdeen. The station opened in

1 858 using the drained bed of the Woodside Canal and closed on 5 May 1 937.

5 8 Salmon fishers

This card was posted 1911 wh en Aberdeen Harbour Board Fishing Committee reported a small fall on the previous catch, 54,015 pounds of salmon wor th f:4,444.17s.9 d. Two years later came the six-hundredth anniversary of the grant of fishing rights by Robert the Bruce.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,