Aldeburgh in old picture postcards

Aldeburgh in old picture postcards

Author
:   Carol Somerset
Municipality
:   Aldeburgh
Province
:   Suffolk
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5624-0
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldeburgh in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The 'Aldeburgh' lifeboat was on station from 1890 until1899 and saved 152lives. On 7 December 1899 in fearful weather she was launched to help a distressed vessel, but was struck broadside on by two huge waves. She capsized in an instant. Of the eighteen men on board twelve were flung clear, but six were trapped beneath the upturned boat. A seventh man died later from injuries.

70. Until 1930 Aldeburgh lifeboats had no engines but were powered entirely by oar and sail. Norwere there weather forecasts in those days. The courage and skill ofthe crew were unbelievable. James Cable, the town's most decorated lifeboatman, served for fifty years, for nearly thirty of which he was coxswain. His most famous exploit was to rescue fourteen men from the Russian brig 'Vanscapen'.

71. Between 1905 and 1959 Aldeburgh had two lifeboats. The 'Edward Z. Dresden' (on station from 1905 unti11929, 42lives saved) is here being hauled through the streets in an attempt to find a better place for launching.

72. Invitation to the naming ceremony of the 'City of Winchester' , (on station from 1902 until1928, saved forty lives) the last and largest of Aldeburgh's sailing lifeboats. Winchester City collected the funds for her purchase. The rudder now hangs on the wall of the lifeboat shed.

73. Aldeburgh's Fire Brigade is first heard of in 1896, when the mayor purchased uniforms. Before the days of sirens the firemen were called out by a cycli st rushing round the town. They had a small handcart fitted with three or four lengths of hose, a nozzle and a standpipe, which gave them mains pressure until the big engine arrived. This took some time as it was horse-drawn and the horses had to be brought in from the marshes.

74. In April1910 the thatched golf hause burned down. Aldeburgh's engine attended the fire and Leiston's steam engine pumped water from the watering pond. The usu al job in summer was putting out fires along the railway line near North Warren.

75. About 1920 the brigade began to use a motor coallorry to tow the formerly horse-drawn pump. It always gave the public a thrilI to see it swaying and travelIing at just over 20 miles per hour, hotly pursued by the firemen rushing on bicycles from their pi aces of work. The towing lorry was appreciated on a long job, as it was the means of transporting a thirst quencher. But by the date of this photo (1930) the brigade had a proper Merryweather fire engine.

76. During the First World War Mr. and Mrs. Fisher, assisted it seems by the whole town, gave a home to over fifty Belgian children, refugees from their war-torn country. Here some are setting off for a picnic across the river. Many of them kept in touch for years with their 'Dear English Father and Mother'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,