Aldershot in old picture postcards

Aldershot in old picture postcards

Author
:   T.G. Chilterhouse
Municipality
:   Aldershot
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2276-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldershot in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

.- '-"-

'-

-. ~--

0"

9. Victoria Road from the corner of Heathland Street, 1910. The upper reaches of the road were built entirely during the Victorian period. Those buildings on the right hand side were erected in the 1860's and 1870's as a commercial area; those on the opposite side of the road followed a few years later, these being designed as shops. Under the unfurled flag is the Hussar public house, which stood on the corner of Frederick Street. On the right are the large premises of Solomon's camp furnisher and upholsterer, Later Solomon ereated a thriving business supp1ying tents and marquees for both military and civilian outdoor events. The large building at top right is Thomas White's Furniture Depository and Auction Rooms. The tower of the Wesleyan Church does not yet contain the clock, which was inserted in the four circular panels in 1929, dedicated to the memory ofthe Reverend Edward Lowry, Honorary Chaplain to the Forces of the Aldershot Command from 1892 untill919.

5.13107

WELLINGTON 5TREET. ALOERSHOT.

10. Wellington Street, Edwardian period, This scene of the street is still farniliar to many of the loeal residents. Just past the Counties Bank on the right is the Arcade and the milliners, Nelson and Goodrich. A few paces further on is a tobacconist, then owned by Holderness; then comes Little Wellington Street and the premises of the Halford Cyele Company - forerunners of the Halfords of today. Almost to the end of the street is the Market Arcade which once housed a 'penny bazaar'. Can we imagine it now, with no item costing more than a penny - the value of the old copper coin? At the end of the street are the trees of High Street and the Wellington Avenue with a solitary chimney of Talavera Barracks just visible. To our left are 'The George', Harrington's shoe shop and a stearn bakery. But perhaps the greatest change is the street scene, the horse traffic was so numerous, permanent road sweepers were needed constantly to clean the roads.

11. Wellington Street from High Street, decorated for a Royal occasion, circa 1907. On the left is Allen and Lloyd's the chemist, next is the tewn's first fishmonger, originally owned by Storry, and under the clock is the entrance to the 'Market Bazaar'. Perhaps the most notabie change in this scene was conversion of the original market opposite Union Street, which led from Wellington Street through to High Street where almost anything from seeds to livestock was sold at the various stalls - into a handsome shopping Arcade. The building on the right is the old Royal Hotel, originally Tilbury's Hotel, where on November 4th, 1857 the Local Board of Health held its first meeting. This building was pulled down in 1932. The entrance to Union Street is next on the right.

12. Union Street from Wellington Street, circa 1905. The fact that the War Department boundary was along the south side of the Royal Engineer's Yard, High Street with Union Street, became a new shopping and business area, thus creating a completely new Aldershot about a mile to the west of the original village. The street was incorrectly named, for it did not lead to the Union House, but rather along the hedgeline of four small fields which led to farmlands in the west. In 1855 a row of shanties were erected along what is now High Street and some sprawled into the area of Union Street, in which goods of all kinds were sold. Many of these buildings were public houses, which also became very numerous in all parts of the town as it developed. With such an abundanee of drinking shops, lawlessness increased ...

A!dershot. Union St reet.

13. Union Street from Grosvenor Road, circa 1915. The town quickly grew to over 3,000 population, and went on increasing rapidly, many people rushing to the new town to establish themselves in trade. In 1856 the town, of little over three hundred houses all told, contained no less than twenty taverns and forty beer houses. Thomas White established a store in Aldershot in 1857. As Aldershot grew so did White's and his great stores dominated Union Street for over a century. Scene shows Union Street after the 1870 development.

14. High Street in 1925. The unusual feature of High Street can still be seen in this picture. In 1854 the Army owned the north side of a dirt road, the traders the south. The map of 1859 shows a triangular piece of land stretching from Barrack Road to the junction of another track, later Wellington Avenue and High Streel. By 1862 a Guard House is marked as standing at the lower portion of the land. By 1869 the town Police Station and Court House were built in this lower area of the triangle. Civil Aldershot had somehow encroached into Army territory. At the top of the road is White's store after the total reconstruction of 1922. To the left are some of the shops of the original traders of the 1870-1880's. Chandler's advertised from the roof of the shop with a large sign which could have only been seen from aircraft. To the right is the wall which encompassed the Police Station, the Court House and the police quarters. Nowhere else can such a street pattern be seen.

15. Lower High Street, 1929. The long length of High Street stretches as far as the village green, most of it as a residential area. This view shows the small shopping area close to Manor Park. On the left is the open front of the National School, which stood at the junction of Redan Hili and High Street. Just past the Beehive public house can be seen the wooden frontage of an original village cottage. Note the standard pattern of the sunblinds over the shops on the left. First on the right is St. Michaels Road.

EA6T CAVALRY GATES, ALDER6HOT

A297/1062

16. The East Cavalry Gates, circa 1910, from the corner of High Street and Grosvenor Road. The building at the rear is the Officers Mess used by many of the famous British Cavalry Regiments over a period of eighty years. The gates were manned by dismounted cavalry soldiers and Non Commissioned Officers, the sword being carried instead of the rifle. The guardhouse was just inside, and a similar building opposite was usually the Regimental Sergeant Major's offices. In earlier days the building to the extreme right with smal1 chimney and windows was the Metropolitan Police Station. A recess in the wall allowed for a cab-rank in Barracks Road.

17. The Cavalry Gates, circa 1929. This view shows the scene inside the gates. Khaki is now worn instead of the colourful uniforms of the previous years. The road continues from the East Gate, Warburg, through to Willems, West Gate, which has its entrance on the Farnborough Road. The great stone motifs upon the side gates bearing Queen Victoria's cipher, VR, surrounded by Iaurelleaves and dating the erection of the barracks in 1856 were saved at the time of demolition. With Beaumont, the South Cavalry Barracks, here was the home of the 1st Cavalry Brigade from 1859 to 1938 when mechanisation of the Army resulted in a move to other military stations.

18. Since the town received its Charter in 1922, the Borough Council purchased from the War Office, for a considerable sum the site bounded by High Street, Court Road, Wellington Avenue, and Barrack Road, better known to the older generation as the R.E. Yard. Here for many years were aresidence, the offices and R.E. Stores. The site was cleared and the Empire Cinema was built on the lower half in 1930, and the upper portion was converted into an open pleasure ground and car park. The Princes Gardens forms the open space between Camp and town as did the R.E. Yard from 1853. The barracks to the far side of Wellington Avenue are brick built permanent barracks of the 1859 period which became known as Wellington Lines,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,