Aldershot in old picture postcards

Aldershot in old picture postcards

Author
:   T.G. Chilterhouse
Municipality
:   Aldershot
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2276-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldershot in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

19. Grosvenor Road from the north. The buildings in this view are all of the 19th century and some fine examples ofVictorian shops are seen on the left. Darracott's the Royal Bakers (corner of Grosvenor Road and Union Street) proudly displays the Royal Warrent over their doorway. The Church and Soldiers Home are seen as they were built. lust past the tower on the right (corner of Grosvener and Queens Road) are the premises of George Potter & Company, Drum and Fife Manufacturers, with upper storey used as a workshop. In the distanee, right, is the Town Hall. This section of the town is now a conservation area.

20. Grosvenor Road circa 1910. Prior to 1850 this road was but a dusty track with a hedgerow on the west side. By 1862 three buildings are shown on a map; one named as the Indian Heroes, this is probably the Railway Tavern of later days. Originally known as Bank Road, possibly because it led to the West Surrey Bank which stood at the corner of Victoria and Grosvenor Roads. When the road was narned as Grosvenor is rather obscure. Primarily built as a residential area, one or two of the houses are shown converted into shops. The military family of the Wavell's lived at number 28 (old numbering). Colonel Llewellyn Wavell was Honorary Secretary to the Church of England Institute, Victoria Road, in about 1900. Most of the front garden railings disappeared either during the First World War, but certainly by the Second.

21. In 1870 the town railway station was opened, the nearest station previously having been at Tongham on the Guildford to Farnham line. There were then eight trains daily from London and the fastest train did the journey in seventy minutes. By 1920 the number of trains running on the L. & S.W.R., (London and South Western Railway) system was increased to eighteen, but the time taken had only decreased by a few minutes. The horse carriages waited for every train and the Camp traffic increased rapidly. Prior to the railway coming to A1dershot, Mr. G. Myers, an enterprising contractor of Lambeth, London, constructed at his own expense a small gauge line from Tongham Station to a convenient unloading point near to the permanent barracks for the Camp building material.

..1iloershof

Cotiaçe .J{ospital

The WreDch Seri~'l: xe. S296

22. The Aldershot Hospital. Generally known as the Cottage Hospital, the foundation stone of which was laid down by the Duchess of Connaught in 1896, was formally opened by her in the following year, H.R.H. the Duke of Connaught being present on both occasions. In 1897 it contained twelve beds and some years later a childrens ward was added, It had the distinction of being the only hospital in the district that did not make a charge to patients. Except for a small sum annually from investments, the hospital depended entirely on voluntary subscriptions and donations. Never once did the institution get into debt. The hospital was the idea of two loeal Justices of the Peace, Major W. Newcome and Mr. W. Robertson. The Hospital stood at the junction of Church Lane East and St. George's Road. In this view the ward can just be seen to the rear of the Cottage building. The medical staff gave their services voluntarly.

23. 1906. The well laid out Municipal Gardens were opened in 1904 on the site of the former Parish Clerks land, which was bought by the Iocal authority in 1898. The gardens, which adjoin the Town Hall, lie on the side of a slope running down from the rear of Queen's Road and extends back to The Warren. The gardens provided a peaceful, small compact park in the town centre, just off Grosvenor Road. The landscaping in 1904 was of a cultivated field, but soon became a well wooded park containing an unusual variety of trees, most of which were given to the Borough and planted by the doners at a ceremony on 13th December 1905, then known as 'Arbour Day',

24. Adjoining the Municipal Buildings in Grosvenor Road, was the Fire Station, which, for a town like Aldershot, was probably one of the largest and best equipped in the country. The 'station' built in 1904 and periodically enlarged, comprised a commodious engine house, offices and workshops, a men's recreation room and a 50 feet hose drying and drill tower. The Fire Brigade and attached Ambulance Service was a Volunteer organisation and rendered excellent service to the town. First formed in 1887 as a volunteer unit, the 'Brigade' remained so up to 1939 when they became part of the war-time National Fire Service. The Brigade also protected Ash, Normandy, Tongham Seale, Hawley and Blackwater. There was an agreement with the Military Fire Brigade, to go to each others assistance should the need arise.

Ö ra 5 t.. ye v le or !l<lI'TSIlOt.

25. Bird's eye view, about 1907. The photograph was taken from the water tower on Cargate Hili. Immediately in front are the houses of Cargate Hill. In the foreground are the Electricity Works. The town electricity undertaking was opened on May 14th, 1902, by General and Lady Hildyard. It was run until March 31st, 1903 by Messrs. Parker, the contractors, when it was taken over by the Council. In 1921 an arrangement was made with the War Office by which, instead of spending over t20,000 on new machinery, the Command Central Power Station would supply electric power, and Aldershot's generating station became only a distributing station. The Municipal Gardens remains a treeless open space, and in the distance can be seen Salmanca, Talavera and the Artiliery Barracks. The area on the light of the chimney are the Council's Depot Yard and contain stables, a wood drying store and offices. The ambulance Depot has not yet been built.

26. Standing just inside the Municipal Gardens is Aldershot's Cenotaph. Here is perpetuated the memory of those who died in the 1914-1918 War. The monument, which takes the form of an obelisk of grey Comish granite with granite base and chain fence, was unveiled on March 18th, 1925 by Prince Henry (later Duke of Gloucester), in the presence of a most distinguished and representative company. The inscription is 'BOROUGH OF ALDERSHOT - This memorial was erected in grateful memory of those who gave their lives for their Country in the Great War 1914-1918'. The picturesque gardens surrounding the monument has changed over the years, Here also were placed captured Germanand Turkish guns-trophies of the War. These guns were probably removed during the Secend World War for munitions. The fountain was erected and presented to the town by Alderman N. Solomon, Mayor of Aldershot in 1924-1925.

27. Miss Daniell's Soldier's Home and Institute was the first Soldier's Home ever built and was founded by Mrs. Daniell, a reforrner who came to Aldershot in 1862. By February 11th, 1863 Lord Shaftesbury laid the foundation stone on a plot of land given to the evangelist for the building of the Horne and Institute and was opened on Sunday 11th October 1865. After her death in 1871, the work was carried on by her daughter Miss Daniell. The building stood on high ground at the corner of Barrack Road and Edward Street. It was in the Elizabethan style of architecture; a pretty low-gabled structure of grey Kentish ragstone, surmounted by sloping roofs of red and black tiles. It contained a lecture hall, capable of holding five hundred people, a smaller upstairs hall, many rooms for smoking and games and it was supplied with a library. It was known throughout the district and perhaps the whole British Army. This view along Edward Street shows the temporary Roman Catholic Church of corrugated iron which was brought from Southampton to Aldershot in 1872.

CHURCH OF ENGLAND SOLDIERS' AND SAILORS INSTITUTE, ALDERSHOT.

28. Church of England Soldiers', Sailors' and Airman's Institute, Victoria Road. This was a very large and commodious Institute and was open and free, 'without question of interference' to every man entitled to wear the King's or Queen's uniform. Founded in 1880, in hired rooms in Union Street, it was opened on 29th September 1883, by Dr. Harold Browne, Bishop ofWinchester. In 1885, the Tin Hall, a welcome present from the Army Coffee Taverns Association, was erected to the rear of the site. A further step in the expansion of this flourishing institution was in February 1904, when Sir Augustus Webster laid the foundation stone of the extension to the east end of the building. The very large sign on the oost wall does not yet welcome 'airman' as flying had not been accomplished. The extension was opened by H.R.H. Princess Christian of Schleswig-Holstein on 14th July 1904.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,