Aldershot in old picture postcards

Aldershot in old picture postcards

Author
:   T.G. Chilterhouse
Municipality
:   Aldershot
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2276-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldershot in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. The Aldershot and County Secondary School was established by the Urban District Council under agreement with the Hampshire County Council. It was pleasantly situated on about six acres of land in Highfield Avenue. It was opened on September 18th, 1912, by the Earl of Northbrook, Chairman of the County Council. The total cost of the site, futnishing and building was U3,000. Built originally for about two hundred scholars, the accommodation never really proved sufficient. By about 1920 it was found necessary to extend the school by the addition of a series of wooden huts as a temporary measure. In 1922 the number of pupils was four hundred. Mr. A.E. Chapman was headmaster, assisted by a staff of sixteen masters and mistresses. Note howitzer on right.

40. Talavera from Hospital Hill, 1915. The permanent barracks, originally the West, Centre and East Infantry Barracks, were re-named Badajos, Salamanca and Talavera Infantry Barracks, the whole, with the addition of the Artillery Barracks, were known as Wellington Lines, commemorating the Duke's victories in the Penninsular War 1809-1812. The artillery barracks became known as Waterloo, East and West. The division of camp and town was to the south side of the R.E. Yard, which is hidden among the trees in the centre foreground. The two, three story blocks on the left could house the men of one infantry regiment. In earlier days a glass cover-stretched from block to block and offered a dry parade ground on wet days, Wellington Avenue runs immediately in front of Talavera parade ground, and Hospital Hill continues up Barracks Road, which lies in the civilian area. To the left of the circular fronted Imperial Hotel is Grosvenor Road, and out of sight behind the trees are the shops of High Street, The tower of the Wesleyan Church is in the distance.

41. Hospital Hill, circa 1870. This photograph was taken from the fountain standing in Talavera Barracks. The centre building was a sub-manor of Aldershot, first mentioned in docurnents dated 1637, having been built by one of the Tichbourne brothers, then 'Lords of the Manor' . In 1854 it is recorded as being the only brick building standing on Army land and it was soon converted into a hospital. Prior to this it had been the Union Poor House and later a school. The building on the left was converted into Married Quarters at about 1900. The fountain was knocked down by an uncontrolled vehicle in 1920.

::5mlth Dorrte n Home, Aldershot

42. The Queens Avenue from the top of Hospital Hili, 1920. On the right is the Smith-Dorian Soldiers home, which was perhaps the most beautiful of the Methodist homes. The foundation stone was laid by Lieutenant General H.L. Smith-Dorian on 4th March 1908, and was opened by Lady Smith-Dorian in October of the same year. The stained glass windows carry the badges of the corps and regiments. Further down the Avenue, on the right, is the Command Central Gymnasium, better known today as the Maida Gym. Behind the trees on the left was the officers Mess of Corunna Barracks.

/(oyal j'avilion, fli3ershol

43. The Royal Pavillon owed its origin to Queen Victoria, who used it as a residence whenever visiting her troops at Aldershot. Originally of wood and corrugated iron, it received many additional improvements, which greatly added to its comfort. The residence stood on the eastern side of the Long Valley, a barren tract of land ideal for training and large enough for the Royal Reviews and military Field days, King Edward VII, King George V, King George VI and the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were once in residence, and others of the Royal Household stayed at the Pavillon when visiting Aldershot. Parts of its fine wooded grounds were laid out by the Prince Consort. The Pavillon was demolished in 1961.

44. Royal Reviews. In 1887 Victoria celebrated her 50th year as Queen. On July 9th a Jubilee Review was held in the Long Va1ley. Under the Command of the Duke of Cambridge an assembly of seven cavalry regiments, four Divisions of the regular Army, supported by five Divisions of Volunteer Infantry, and eighteen Artillery Batteries marched past in the valley. This scene taken from the Illustrated London News, shows the 'Parade' as seen from Ceasar's Camp. In the distanee are the buildings of Wellington Lines, the statue of The Iron Duke, and the steeple of the Royal Garrison Church of All Saints. The embryo town of Aldershot is out of sight behind the hills to the rear. This historie picture gives some idea of the surrounds of Aldershot Common and the topography of the locality in 1887.

Ceesers CemtĀ», Bourley, AJdershof

45. Dominating the surrounding countryside and overlooking Aldershot Common is the promentary of the pre-Roman fort. The clump of trees were planted to commemorate the Golden Jubilee of Queen Victoria in 1887. The hill fort has been known as The Jockey's Ring, Brixbury, later spelt Bricksbury and then Ceasar's Camp. This ancient earthwork is said to have been used by King Alfred's men under his brother, when they left the slopes in AD 894, to engage and defeat the Northmen in the valley below. In the foreground, crossing the sandy tract of the Bourley Road, is the old droveway which led from Wales and the west of England, through Aldershot, and on to London. A section of this drove-road survived for many years. Skirmishing HilI is a reminder of the English Civil War, when an encounter by the King's Men and a Roundhead patrol occurred here. Photo circa 1910.

46. The Time Gun. The original Aldershot Time Gun, which stood at the top of Gun Hili from 1856 to 1873, was removed to make way for the building of the Cambridge Hospital. The original gun was a clumsy piece of artilIery said to have been brought home from Waterloo and was fired at 1 p.m. and 9.30 p.m, each day, giving the Camp and Town the signalof correct time. The replacement gun was installed at the top of Thorne Hili and was used thus until 1914. This use of a gun for time keeping was unique. In 1833 a Time Ball was introduced at the Greenwich Observatory, Dropped at precisely one o'dock, the signal was primarily intended for the use of seamen on the Thames and the chronometer makers in the City of London. Later on a Greenwich signal was installed, via the electric telegraph by the railways. Prior to this every town kept its own loeal time, based on the time the sun was due south at noon; this meant for example, there was a difference of nearly sixteen minutes between London and a town in Devon, thus Aldershot benefitted before others by the firing by a telegraphed signal and the firing of the gun. The line of houses are the married quarters below Thorne Hili.

47. To the west of the town, on a mound known as Round Hili, stands the imposing statue of the Duke of Wellington, which was erected on this site in 1885. The Statue represents the Iron Duke as he appeared at Waterloo mounted on his favourite horse 'Copenhagen' and wearing the customary short cloak which the artist skilfully draped so as to give it something of the grace of classic costume. The Duke sat for the sculptor Mr. Matthew Cotes Wyatt at bis studio in Harrow Road, London, and the artist's name, Matthew Cotes Wyatt, forms the embroidery of the saddle cloth. The statue stands on the top of the mound, the slopes of which are covered with rhododendron bushes, fir and silver birch trees. The sculpture is intensely interesting in many respects, and not least so from the fact that it was cast from cannon actually captured by the British at the battle of Waterloo ...

Duke of Wellington Staiue, dUclersnot

48 .... Probably it was one of the earliest cases, if not the earllest of all, where cannon taken in war was put to such a use in England. The statue stands upon a red corshill stone plinth -on either side is the single word 'Wellington'- which is surrounded by a circle of sixteen cannon barrels sunk in the ground and linked by an iron chain affixed to imitation cannon balls embedded in the mouths of the cannons. The sculpture was completed in 1846 and stood at the top of London's Constitution Hill. It was transferred to Aldershot by being dismantled, and its pieces drawn to Aldershot by horses. It was reerected and handed over to the Aldershot Division by the Prince of Wales on 19th August 1885. Infantry and Cavalry moving to and from the training area. Wellington in background.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,