Aldershot in old picture postcards

Aldershot in old picture postcards

Author
:   T.G. Chilterhouse
Municipality
:   Aldershot
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2276-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldershot in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Wellington Acvenue, Aldershat

49. Sunday Chureh Parade at the Red Chureh, 1914. Close to thejunetion of Wellington Avenue and the Farnborough Road stands the Royal Garrison Church of All Saints, an imposing edifiee with a tower one hundred and twenty-one feet high, whieh is one of the landmarks of the town. It had for many years been familiarly known as the 'Red Chureh' from the red brieks with whieh it was built, in 1863. Time, however, has dulled the original brightness of the brieks, and the tower and walls are now mellowed. The impressive interior of the ehureh is rieh in military history, its memorials reealling many a campaign and action now almost forgotten.

fl1oersftof- Cfturcft làrade.

50. Wellington Avenue, Sunday Mornings. For more than a century, the colour and pageantry of the church parades were known for miles around, and as many as ten thousand people would gather in the avenue to see and hear the music of the marching columns. Remembered as perhaps the most colourful ceremonial half mile anywhere, the people in their Sunday best would dally here for an hour or two. On leaving the Red Church, each unit would turn into their respective quarters, fall out, and then the bands would play again. A ring of music stands would indicate where the musicians would entertain, and for another half hour the civilians could listen to their favourite tunes. The trees along the avenue were planted at the suggestion of Queen Victoria in the 1860's. The photograph was taken in 1908.

51. Number 4 Gas Holder. These cottages in North Lane are shown on the map of 1870 on a site called North Place. The giant gas holder was constructed in 1926-27, stands 200 feet high and has a capacity of 3,000,000 cubic feet, weighs 3,000 tons and is a landmark seen for miles around. Founded in 1865 (although 'gas works' are shown on the 1859 map), standing off Ash Road and extending along North Lane, the works were known as the Aldershot Gas Consumers Company. By 1925, the gas supply in the Borough was in the hands of the Aldershot Gas, Water and District Lighting Company and had absorbed the smaller gas works at Odiham, Hartley Wintney and Farnborough.

52. The gas supply in the Borough, as well as many in the surrounding districts, was in the hands of the Aldershot Gas, Water and District Lighting Company. The Gas Works were situated in Ash Road, almost on the town boundary. These extensive works were equipped progressively throughout the whole of their existence, with the most up-to-date plant and appliances, not only for the manufacture of gas, but for the recovery of the important by-products - coke, tar, sulphate of ammonia, graded c1inker etc. In addition this site contained the sewage works. The photo shows the gasworks storage blocks for the coa1 and coke. In front of these buildings are the contact beds for the treatment of sewage. The arches form part of the many channels which carry the sewage.

53. Sewage Works circa 1910. These workshops were built in 1878 by Mr. Cranstone, then manager of the plant. The shops housed steam engines by the Tangye Brothers of Birmingham. Later a twin celled Meldrams destructor was installed in 1900, and a Heenan and Froude destructor was added in 1910. The tewn's refuge was incinerated in the destructors and the heat was used to generate steam for the engines. The chimney was built in 1888 by Mr. Kemp, local builder, for the sum of .H52. A temporary isolation hospital was erected in the grounds of the sewage works for smallpox victimes in 1894.

54. Sewage Works circa 1910. The photo shows a storage tank built in 1888 by Mr. Cranstone. It had a capacity of 800,000 gallons. In 1910 it was used as a septic tank and its contents were described as a stagnant liquid packed with arid looking scum, with great noisome bubbles rising from the surface. The two houses in the rear were occupied, one by MI. J. Edwards, works manager, and the other by his son Mr. J.W. Edwards, assistant manager. The rent was four shillings a week. The Ash Road passes by the front, and the Blackwater Stream runs through the site.

OfTICer.:s J elu.bJiouSe/ Ald2r-5Óot.·

55. Officers Club, circa 1910. The club has undergone many changes since it was erected in 1859. Built by a London wine merchant, it was of corrugated iron, large glass windows and was decorated extemally in green and white. The building contractor was Mr. Henning, of Bow, Londen. The Prince Consort became its Patron and the club was known by the prefix 'Royal'. Every amenity was offered, coffee, card, smoking, fencing and billiard rooms tastefully decorated and outside the surrounding grounds were developed for the playing of cricket, tennis and other sports. It was close to the canal, the polo fields, and the race course which encircled Queens Avenue, and it became the centre of the sociallife of the camp. This successful venture was soon taken over by the Army.

56. Properly enough, at the top of Gun Hill, in close proximity to the Cambridge Hospital, is a very fine monument erected to the memory of officers, non commissioned officers and men of the Royal Army Medica! Corps, who fell in the South African War, 1899-1902. It was unveiled by King Edward VII after being dedicated by Bishop Taylor Smith on 24th May 1905. The fourteen bronze panels carry the names of 301 men who died in the war. King Edward VII is on the right and General Sir John French is at centre right.

57. Horse swimming pool. This man made pond of about two and a half acres was situated in Long Bottom between the two Iron Age forts of Hungry Hili and Brieksbury. As many as three thousand horses were excercised in this vast area of training land. The pond was used for training the horses to swim. The horses were tethered by a hook to a line whieh directed them to the opposite bank and safety. After claiming a number of victims, one of them a child, the pond was partially drained and allowed to dry up. Rieh foliage has grown in this area for many years. The photograph is taken from the east side of the pond on a well marked track running along the side of Long Bottom past the horse pond. This part of the path has been called, unofficially, The Kings Way, because it was improved about 1907 for King Edward VII to drive to see the horses swimming in the pond, and to witness the sending of messages by the earliest wireless installation in Aldershot.

58. Balloon Units and Factory at Aldershot. In 1890 the Balloon Section and Depot was constituted under the command of Lieutenant H.B. Jones, Royal Engineers, an air unit being now for the first time included in British Army establishments. A site for the School of Ballooning was found on the bank of the Basingstoke canal, adjacent to the R.E. (Stanhope) lines. No provision was made for mounted personel and horses; these had to be borrowed from other units, an unsatisfactory and highly unpopular arrangement. The technical transport, supplied by No. 24 Field Company R.E. consisted of a balloon wagon, four tube wagons and a dismounted section. The corrugated iron Balloon Shed on the left, was for the construction and overhaulof balloons, and was completed by 1892.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,