Aldershot in old picture postcards

Aldershot in old picture postcards

Author
:   T.G. Chilterhouse
Municipality
:   Aldershot
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2276-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Aldershot in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

69. The Army Football Association was founded in 1888 and the following season teams throughout the army played for the Army Cup, the final of which is always played at Aldershot. The 2nd Bn Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders beat the 2nd Bn South Staffordshire Regiment by two goals to nil in this first year of the cup. No contest was held during the South African War and the two World Wars. The picture shows the Princess of Wales (later Queen Mary) presenting the prizes, The young Prince Edward can be seen just behind his mother. The game in 1908 was held on an open pitch, the stadium in Queen's Avenue had not yet been built; note the wicker chairs. During the replay of the 1948 game, lightning struck the pitch, resulting in the death of two players. The game was abandoned and the two sides became joint holders.

ALDERSHOT RACE COURSE AND TWEEZLEDOWN CAMPING GROUNO.

70. Aldershot Race Course. Tweezledown, a small hilllying to the west of the Borough, began as a race course as early as 1857 and was officially opened as a steeplechasing course in 1867. In 1886 the ground was used as a Review site and again in 1898 when Queen Victoria drove to Tweezledown to inspeet the 15th Hussars. It was officially recognised as a race course in 1880 when the Aldershot races began under National Hunt Rules. During the First World War the site became an important training establishment for the Royal Army Medical Corps, organising Field Ambulance units for service in France. The photograph shows the two grandstands and the stables. The tents in the rear are pitched on the practice ground on the west side of the Bourley Road.

71. In 1850 the only bridge which crossed the canal was on the London to Winchester Turnpike Road. As the area was developed, a pontoon bridge was built across the road, thus adjoining North and South Camp. The Iron Bridge replaced the wooden pontoon bridge towards the end of the 1880's. The public had no right of way to use the footpaths, but since 1880 its use was allowed as a privilege, and this resulted in the cana1 becoming the centre of sociallife. Pleasure boats were delivered, summer regattas were held on the canal, fishing was allowed and bathing places were established. Later the beathouses fell into disuse and the canal became adeserted waterway. In recent years plans were made to restore the canal as a linier park.

ALOERSHOT. MILITARY DRAWBRIDGE, CLAYCART.

72. The Basingstoke Canal project was p1anned to start in 1778, but because of the American War of Independenee money and labour was in short supply and the building of the canal was delayed for ten years. With the building of the railways much of the local waterborne traffie was diverted to this faster system, However, the construction of the Camp between 1854 and 1860 brought a reprieve for the canal. In three years, twenty thousand tons of building material was carried by barge to the Farnham Wharf, close by the London-Winchester Turnpike Road. Trade was revived during the 1914 War with stores and munitions being carried from Woolwieh to the Aldershot Wharf. After the war, Government narrow boats carried only oats and returned with surplus w.n. stores to London. Commercial traffie from Aldershot ended in 1921. Photo 1908.

73. Cody Floatplane on Canal at Aldershot, 1913. In 1913 Lord Northcliffe offered a prize of iS,OOO for a waterplane flight round Great Britain. Samuel Franklyn Cody entered the race and designed and built the large st of his aircraft for this epic flight. The floatplane with a 60 foot wingspan was at one time moored on the canal at a point close to the Fleet Road called Ellmoor Flash. The large central float had been tested on the canal at Great Bottom Flash, Ash Vale, and was towed by a motor boat fuU of eager passengers. Many of his admirers thronged the towpath to watch Britain's first aviator testing his plane. Cody was killed a few weeks after this picture was taken.

74. The Military Fire Station, cir

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,