Alton in old picture postcards

Alton in old picture postcards

Author
:   Annette Booth
Municipality
:   Alton
Province
:   Hampshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-5787-2
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Alton in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

49. Alton celebrates the Coronation of King George Von 22nd J une 1911. A large crowd has gathered at the bottom of Market Street to watch the procession wend its way from the Market Square to St. Lawrence's Church. It was led by Superintendent Reuben, Sergeant Inward and four constables of the Hampshire ConstabuJary. Behind them came the Alton Military Band, under Bandmaster LovelI, and then fifty members of H. Company, 4th Hampshire Regiment, led by Captain Pechel!. The postmaster , Mr. J .F. Parsons and the head clerk, Mr. Hill, headed a small contingent of Post Office staff, while behind them can be seen the burnished heImets of the Fire Brigade, under Chief Officer W.B. Trimmer and Second Officer A. Debenham. Six members of the Urban District Council came next, including the Chairman, Mr. Gerald Hall, and the Vice Chairman, Mr. T.A. Chalcraft. This group was followed by representatives from the Church Lad's Brigade, the Boy Scouts, and members of the local churches.

50. G .H. Castle's draper's store all decked out to celebrate Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897. George Henry Castle offered a full tailoring service for the gentlemen and everything for the lady, from corsets to gloves - in two separate shops, of course - in 50 and 52 High Street, on the corner with Market Street. By 1899 the business had been taken over by John Walter Castle, and he served the people of Alton as a clothier, dressmaker, shirtmaker , glover, milliner , outfitter and hatter , mantle maker, constumier , hosier , draper , silk mereer and dyer's agent. Rernernber, off the peg clothing was almost unheard of atthis time. Castle's was taken over by H. Charman in April 1909. By 1915 the premises had become Johnson's and for years that particular corner of Alton was known as 'Johnson's Corner' to locals. Today Boots the Chemist occupies the site.

51. A postcard of the High Street at the turn of the century. The first thing that strikes us is the lack of traffic again and yet this is obviously not a Sunday, as the shop keepers stand in their doorways ready for custom. The large store on the right of the picture is Wrenn's the station er and bookseller, where you could not only buy books, but newspapers, fancy goods, toys, and wools, Edwin William Wrenn sold his business in 1908, mainlydue to heavylosses incurred as the resultof a fire at the store in 1905. It was purchased by Mr. R.C. Hayward, who, incidentaIly, was the organist at St. Lawrence's Church during the First World War. Next to Wrenn's was John Emery's newly-opened Refreshment Rooms, offering teas, dinners and beds, Then came Caffall & Co., provision importers, and, at No. 39, F.T. Gargett, selling 'Nobel's Sporting Ballistite Powder, Guns, Rifles and Revolvers'!

53. The High Street is certainly a hive of industry in this 1904 photograph - perhaps it was Market Day! Amongst the traffic we can see a milk cart complete with churn, several carriers wagons and a handsome little gig. It was about this time that the idea ofhaving electricity was first considered,with the formation of the Alton & District Electricity Supply Co. Ltd, but nothing more appears to have been done about it. By 1920 the Urban District Council was receiving numerous letters from unhappy residents, in particular local doctors, who were having to send their patients to Winchester for certain operations since these could not be carried out without electricity. Councillor William Wright injected a little humour into the Council meeting at which this was discussed, when he commented on the fact that the gas lighting 'was not equal to a candle light - they had to light a candle to see it'. Electricity finally arrived in Alton in 1927!

52. The High Street between Market Street and Turk Street in about 1904. Ifthe flag flying outside John Emery's Welcome Restaurant is anything to go by, this postcard and the next one were both taken around the same time. It has to be after October 1903, because it was taken by the Alton photographer Mr. W.P. Varney, who took over George Frost's premises in Market Streetthen. No sooner had he set up in business, than the Hampshire Herald had a story about his 'Up to Date Photography', with the latest 'incandescent gas light for night photography enabling hirn to take photographs at any time ... This improved method is one that is entirely new in Alton. ' Oh, the wonders of modern science! Stores in the High Street are also making use of the improvements in gas lighting. Wrenn's and Freeman Hardy & Willis on the corner of Turk Strect, both now feature splendid exterior lamps. The large building on the other side of Turk Street was, at this time, a public house called 'The Royal Oak'.

54. Alton is famous for its brewing heritage and this 1907 posteard by Stuart shows both Crowley's, with its famous tower, on the left, and Courage's, on the right hand side of the road. Abraham Crowley purehased the brewery from the Baverstoek family in 1821 and his family pioneered the sellîng of food with drink at their Alton Ale Shops, which sprang up all over London; for just 4d you eould get a glass of beer and a beef or ham sandwich. The signs above these premises read 'Crowley's Alton Ale - Genuine from the Brewery', indicating that the ales had been brewed solely with the true ingredients. In 1877 Joseph Burrell and his son Harry Percy Burrell purchased the brewery from Abraham Crowley, but kept the Crowley name, Harry marrying one of Abraham's daughters. In 1947 the brewery was taken over by Watney's, who continued brewing unti11970, at which time it became a distribution depot. In 1992 it beeame the site of the new Sainsbury's store.

55. Courages purchased their brewery from Henry Hall in 1903. It was their first move outside London, necessitated by the need to find the right kind of water for their ales, as London's own water became more foul and unusable. They turned to Alton because of its reputation as a brewing town, partly due to its loam soil with its chalk substratum, but mainly because of the waters of the River Wey, which gave the Alton brew a very special flavour. This photograph of the brewery, taken in 1905 from Windmill Hili, shows the importance of the railway. Raw materials could be brought in and the finished product loaded directly onto trains which left for London daily. A special loading doek with a lift was built alongside the line, connected to the brewery by an underground passage beneath the road.

56. Conrage's Brewery in Alton in 1904 with Alfred Poore's wagon, bearing the signwriting 'Courage and Co. Ltd., Alton & London', drawn up in the loading bay. His horse waits patiently, enjoying a feed. Alfred Poore was just one of several beer retailers in the town. His premises were in the High Street, according to Kelly's Directory, but sadly, it doesn't teil us at which number. Courage's had taken over a brewery in 1903 with 64 freehold and 13leasehold public houses and alocal trade of20,OOO barrels a year. Major M.R.F. Courage came to Alton as the local director and Hall's brewer, Mr. H. Cooper, was asked to stay on. Under the new management output swiftly rose to 50,000 barrels, and by 1931, output at the brewery had risen to 120,000 barrels a year.

57. This photograph of Lower Turk Street, taken in 1920, is very difficult to place, since this area has changed so much, particularly in the last few years. Courage's Mineral Water Factory can be seen on the left and at the side of it a group ofyoungsters stop to talk to one of the brewery's stabie hands and his horse. Alton residents can remember horse-drawn drays weil into the 1940's. The brewery reached its peak in 1950, when the output topped a quarter ofa million barrels ayear. Itwas asaddayfor Alton when, in 1965, the Courage Group reluctantly announced that the brewery would cease brewing within the next five years. Brewing eventually ceased in 1969.

58. Morland Hall, photographed around the time of the First World War, the postcard bearing a special printed 'message' on the back from the Prime Minister. It reads: 'We shall continue steadfast in faith and duty till our task.is done.' Built for Frederick Crowley, the brewer, in the second half of the last century, the house, then known as Ashdell, was set in sixty acres of grounds which stretched from Ashdell Road to Windmill Hili. In 1911 it not only changed owners, but also names. Mr. Guy Ferrand called his new home Morland Hall. In the mid-1920's the house became a clinic run by Sir Henry Gauvain. After his death, Morland Clinic was renamed Gauvain Hospital and run by his daughter Suzette for adult TB patients. It closed in 1953 owing to the decline ofpatients with skeletal tuberculosis and was eventually demolished to make way for a development of houses, which today bears the original name of Ashdell Estate.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,