Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Author
:   John F. Anderson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Renfrewshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4951-8
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

9. Meadowhead Cottages. These terraeed houses were formerly located in Ferry Raad opposite where the American firm of Cornpaq is now situated. The four houses we re stone built and all of them contained two rooms, a kitchen and a pantry. In addition, each house had a garden. In 1912 the total rent for these properties was f24 per annum. One of the conditions of the sale of these houses in th at year was the right of the occupants to be given two hundred gallons daily of filtered water from the Erskine Estate Gravitation Water Supply. On the bottom right of this view a hand-operated pump is visible. Rainwater was collected in the water barrels which can be seen ne ar the entrance second from the right and also on the left beside where the girl is seated. The bidding price for the propertîes known as Meadowhead Cottages was to commence at f600 in the auction sale of 1912. In 1926 the occupiers of Meadowhead Cottages were listed as John McLafferty, John Moore, John Nicholson and John Kennedy.

10. Kingston Lodge. The yearly rent for this cottage in 1912 was f6! On 11th September of the same year it was offered for sale by auction in the Faculty Hall, St. George's Place, Glasgow, with the bidding commencing at noo. The property was described in the sale document in the following terms: 'A good stone built cottage with slated roof prettily situated among trees.' The accommodation comprised of a room and kitchen with pantry, a wash-house and coal-house. There was a gravitation water supply. Towards the end of last century, Kingston Lodge, Kingston Cottage and Easter Rossland were the only buildings in this part of Bishopton. No other houses had been built in Kingston Road and the only buildings in Old Greenock Road (formerly School Road) were the school and school-house. There has been considerable housing development throughout the present century and Kingston Lodge is now surrounded by houses. In 1929 the Lodge was occupied by the Misses Lyle. Kingston Cottage can be seen on the right of this view.

11. Winnowlea, Kingston Raad. This house was built for Mr. Walter Macintyre Paterson, a gas engineer, who took possession ofthe property in 1916. In 1932 it was purchased by Mr. Clement C. Govett who resided at Rhuvaar, Station Road, Bishopton. A further change of ownership occurred in 1937 when Winnowlea was purchased by Mr. Herbert A.C. Masterton, who owned the house until his death in 1974. He served with the Gordon Highlanders during the First World War and was an air raid warden in Bishopton during the Second World War. Herbert Masterton was an eider of Erskine Parish Church and was also treasurer there for a number of years. Winnowlea was unoccupied from 1974 until 1978 during which time the house was renovated. The owner of this property from 1974 until 1988 was Professor David Fyfe Anderson, M.D., F.R.C.O.G., who held the Muirhead Chair of Obstetrics and Gynaecology at the University of Glasgow from 1946-1970. The ivy has been removed from the front of the house while the fence on the right has been removed and a driveway has been laid.

12. South Rossland. The shop in Station Road on the right of this view now forms part of the house known as Titwood. In October 1911 the electric light supply for Bishopton was inaugurated for the first time by the turning on of light in the Rossland district. MT. J.G. Paton was responsible for this enterprising scherne. He had taken advice on the various technical matters involved from MT. A.C. Adarns, F.R.S.E., thereafter placing a contract with Messrs. John Scott Engines Ltd., electrical engineers, Blackhall, Paisley, for the necessary equipment to provide the electricity. Three years later, in 1914, a proposal was made by 14 householders in a meeting in Bishopton th at the joint village of Bishopton and Rossland be formed into a special district for refuse collection. However, there was strong opposition by 88 householders and the proposal to form such a district was suspended indefinitely. On the maps of this period.Bishopton is shown as the area near the hotel, while Rossland consisted of the houses in the vicinity of the station.

13. Pop/ar A l'enue. These substantial villas are seen in th is view from the 1920s. In 1926 the owners of these properties and the house-names were as folIows: Robert Gilbert, Newarthill; Alfred Smith, St. John's; Louis Blair, Ardmore; Thomas Robertson, St. Catherine's; Thomas Robertson, Dunira; James Dickie, Harlow; Robert Greenlees, Beaumont; Thomas McDonald, Dunallan; Captain G.H. Lloyd, Leslie; William H. Taylor, Kirishima; R.W. Smith, Strathie; Walter Bennet. Kilmallie; and James Orr, Askomil. All of these houses were built by Henry Wilson.

14. Pop/ar Avenue. The residents of Poplar Avenue formerly had a view on to this field. Howcver, this site is now occupied by additional houses and also the premises of Bishopton Lawn Tennis Club. It was once possible to play tennis on the ash courts which were located near Kingston Lodge. Two other sports which formerly functioned in the village were curling and cricket. The curling pond was located beyond Kingston Lodge at the north end of Kingston Road. It was used by members of the Erskine Curling Club. The club held dinners at the old Bishopton Hotel in the early years of this century. The cricket ground was situated in the area of the present Castie Crescent. Skating also used to take place on the 'Clayholes' which are now within the grounds of British Aerospace.

· .. ,,' . -' ..

15. View at Bishopton. This is a view of Easter Rossland which was situated in a more rural setting than is the case today. Cows are seen in this field where houses now stand in Castle Crescent and Kingston Road. This picture is a reminder that the parish of Erskine in former times was a farming community where the majority of the population were involved in working on the land. Two former landowners in the parish took a great interest in agriculture. Alexander Stewart, 10th Lord Blantyre, who died in 1783, introdueed a system of erop rotation on the farms of the Erskine Estate. John Hall Maxwell, C.B., of Dargavel (1812-1866) beeame the Seeretary of the Highland Agrieultural Society in 1846. He ûndertook many improvements on his estate at Dargavel, espeeially in the reelamation of waste land. One of the greatest benefits which Mr. Hall Maxwell rendered to Seottish agrieulture was superintending the collection of statistics of stock and erops from 1854 unti11857.

16. Erskine House. The building of Erskine House was commenced by Robert Walter Stewart, 11th Lord Blantyre, in 1828. He was killed in astreet riot in Brussels two years later in 1830. The Erskine Estate then passed to his son, Charles Walter Stewart, 12th Lord Blantyre, who in 1843 married Evelyn Sutherland Leveson-Gower, second daughter of the 2nd Duke of Sutherland. The new mansion-house was not cornpleted until 1845. It replaced the old CastIe of Erskine which was demolished when the new edifice was built. The 12th Lord Blantyre died in 1900. Erskine House and Estate were inherited by Mr. W.A. Baird, son of Sir David Baird, Bart., and Lady Baird, who was the second daughter of the 12th Lord Blantyre. Walter Stewart, the Master of Blantyre, who was a captain in the 1st Sutherland Highlanders was bom in 1851 but died unmarried in 1895 when his father was still living. The Barony became extinct on his father's death. Erskine House was purchased by MI. Thomson Aikman in 1912. This view shows Erskine House in 1905.

Erskine House.

17. Erskine House. As a re sult of the large number of casualties in the early years of the First World War there was a need for a modern military hospital in Scotland. A provisional committee was formed. In March 1916 Sir William Macewen, the famous surgeon, led a deputation from this committee which laid their proposals before the Lord Provost of Glasgow, Sir Thomas Dunlop, Bart., at a public meeting in the city. These proposals were unanimously approved. Mr. Thomson Aikman, the owner of Erskine House , affe red the free use of his mansion-house, garden and grounds for the duration of the war and for one year after the war ended. He also gave the committee the option of acquiring Erskine House and grounds if the hospital was to become a permanent institution on payment of the agricultural value of the land. Mr. John Reid (later Sir John) purchased the property which he gifted for use as the new hospitaL Patients we re first received in October 1916 and the official opening ceremony was performed by H.R.H. Princess Louise, Duchessof Argyll, on6th June 1917.

Erskine House.

The Princess l.ouise Hospital for Limbless Sailors and Soldlers.

TUR CRJJAR T~Rlo. :N THF. (;)(~)t:ND~.

18. Erskine House. Although hostilities in the First World War had ended with the Armistice on 11th November 1918, peace celebrations were held on 19th July 1919 within the grounds of Erskine Hospital. The summer of 1919 was the first summer of peacetime siuce 1914. On that July afternoon sports were held on the flat ground near Ferry Raad. Bath staff and patients participated. These sports consisted of football, tugs-of-war, and also some unusual races compared to the present time, these being blindfold, cigarette, peg-leg and chair races! The prizes for the sports were presented by Lady Macewen, wife of Sir William Macewen. There was also a dance in the cvening. At 9 p.m. a large bonfire was lit on the high ground ncar the river and fireworks were set off. The peace celebrations were later concluded with the singing of the National Anthem.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,