Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Author
:   John F. Anderson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Renfrewshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4951-8
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

19. Camp Cottage. The name has now been changed to Rose Cottage. Bishopton Post Office was located on this site in Greenock Road in the last century and also in the early years of the present century. In 1881 arrangements were made by the Post Office authorities whereby the people of Bishopton and the surrounding area were to have improved facilities for sending and receiving telegrams. Until that time telegrams which were sent from Bishopton Station were first sent to Buchanan Street Station in Glasgow, then taken to the General Post Office in George Square from where they were re-transmitted to Paisley! The new system meant that telegrams could now be relayed from Bishopton Post Office in a much more direct marmer. In the 1840s Charles, 12th Lord Blantyre, insisted th at the newly formed Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock Railway Company had to send a special train every Sunday evening to uplift his mail. Also during that period, Lord Blantyre, his factor, the minister and other residents in the eastern part of the parish of Erskine collected their letters from the post office at Old Kilpatrick.

20. School Road. The name has now been changed in Old Greenock Road. In this view from early in the present century, the outlook from these houses was onto open fields. This scene is now completely different with houses having been built in what is now Renshaw Road, Castle Crescent, Kingston Road, Dargavel Avenue, Maxwell Road, Fleming Road, Brisbane Road, Chartwell Road and Churchill Drive. In the mid-1920s the owners of the properties in School Road were listed as folIows: William McKenzie, Auchindrain; Theodore C. Scott, The Gables; Dr. R.C. McGuire, Eastfield; Thomas M. Erskine, Windygates; James Gray, Beltrees; Lachlan McKay, Finnart; Miss Elizabeth Kerr, Carlowrie; Mrs. Mary Filshie, Aldersyde; William Hutcheson, School House; James Kemp, Kemrae; Mrs. M.B. Taylor, Carnwinshock; Henry J. Leishman, Trostan; Robert Chalmers, Greerton; John McKnight, Langa Hen Farm.

21. Little Porton. The people in this photograph of 1926, from left to right, are Chrissie McKay, Nettie Bradshaw, Betty McKay and Grace Templeman. The smal! boy at the front is Thomas Rae Hardy who was the grandson of Mr. and Mrs. Alexander Rae who lived in the nearby house, 'Netherdale. The nursery at Little Porton had a very high reputation. Mr. Francis Templeman started his business there in 1923. He grew bedding plants and imported bulbs from Holland which he grew for winter selling. Gooseberries, raspberries. blackcurrants, redcurrants and tomatoes were also grown. Little Porton was especially noted for its chrysanthemums, and one special bioom was named 'Porton White'. Francis Templeman specialised in the large single head of the Japanese chrysanthemum and it was for this variety which he received medals at the Edinburgh Flower Show, where he exhibited for many years. His business also included landscape work which he undertook in many of the gardens of the larger houses in Bishopton. Francis Templeman used to decorate the war memorial in Erskine Parish Church every year.

22. Erskine Public School Group. Mr. Daniel Livingstone is seen with this group of girls in 1912. The headmaster of the school at that time was John M. Duncan, M.A. He was appointed to the position in June 1896 and held office until May 1919. It is recorded in the school log book that Mr. Duncan's wife died on 24th November 1912. As a mark of respect the School Board closed the school on 27th November, which was the day of Mrs. Duncan's funeral. School holidays were arranged differently in these days. Although the school was closed on Christmas Day 1912, it re-opened on Boxing Day, finally closing for the New Year holiday on 27th December. The school prize-giving was also held on 27th December 1912. It should have taken place in the summer of 1912, but was postponed because of a measles epidemie. It is also recorded in the log book that the school was closed on 2nd February 1912 for a skating half-holiday 'as the frost is very keen and the ice good'. The school was also closed on the 4th June of th at year which was the day of the annual cattle show.

23. Erskine Public School Group. This photograph shows Miss Rodger with a group of boys in 1916. Miss Rodger was the Infant Mistress at the school from August 1911 until April 1919. The curriculum in 1916 included gardening and MT. Duncan, the headmaster, recorded the following entry in the schoollag baak of 14th January: 'Owing to the weather being favourable, began outdoor work yesterday with the School Gardening Class when some pruning of gooseberry bushes was done.' On 28th April the log baak has this entry: "The attendance has suffered very much this week owing to a large number of scholars, especially in the Senior Department. being kept from school to assist the farmers in the work of potato planting.' However, the school was closed for two weeks in October 1916 in order th at the pupils could assist the farmers with potato gathering. School attendance was a problem in those days. On 11th December 1916, the Sehool Board convened a meeting to interview the parents of those children who had a poor record of attendance. Same of these parents were to be taken to court to appear befare the Sheriff.

24. Erskine Public School Group . The man standing on the right of this group is Mr. John Duncan, who was headmaster of Erskine Public School from 1896 unti11919. He was also an elder of Erskine Parish Church and in 1913 he was appointed session-clerk. The school building on the left has been demolished. A new school was formally opened on 1st November 1963 although the new building had been in use since 1962. Fewer pupils attended the school in the ciosing years of last century than is the case today. The teaching staffwas also small and at the beginning of 1898 it consisted of Mr. Duncan, Miss Eliza J. Boyd, Miss Jessie H. Kerr and Miss Helen W. Winter. However, it would seem th at much of the burden of running the school feil on Mr. Duncan. This is indicated by a report of His Majesty's 1nspector who visited the school on 17th February 1903. This stated: 'The headmaster has far too much to do while his assistants are capable of more.'

25. Erskine Public School Group. The boy, fourth from the left in the back row, is Mr. John D. Woodrow, the well-known local businessman and prominent personality in Bishopton. Mrs. Mary S.B. Watson is the teacher on the right of the picture. The number of pupils who were on the school roll in 1920 was as folIows: Infants 47; Juniors 54; Seniors 62. At the beginning of January in that year school attendance was low because of chicken-pox and fever among the pupils. On 20th October 1920 'meals of convenience' were started when 47 pupils paid for meals. Four pupils were given free meals. At that time cookery lessans were given on a weekly basis throughout the year by Miss Jane F. Kennedy. The headmaster Mr. William Hutcheson inspected some of the classes during the year, and found that standards were not as high as they should beo His entry in the schoollag baak of 8th October 1920 is as fellows: 'I examined Classes Senior Il and In today and find spelling weak. Mental arithmetic in Senior Hl could be improved.'

26. Erskine Public School Group. On the left of th is picture is Miss Minnie Hamill while on the right is the headmaster Mr. James Walker. He oommeneed his duties as headmaster on 1st September 1926 and served until22nd September 1932 wh en he left to take up his appointment as headmaster of Kilbarchan School. Mr. Walker's predecessor as headmaster was Mr. William Hutcheson who occupied the position from 12th April 1920 untillst July 1926. The General Strike took place in 1926 and on 4th May of that year all members of staff were present despite the inconvenience caused by the lack of a train service. However, on 5th May much inconvenience was caused as a result of the teachers being unable to reach the school in time because of transport difficulties. On that day the school was opened with Mr. Hutcheson, the headmaster in sole charge. Senior pupils were put in charge of classes until the arrival of the teachers. By 7th May all members of the teaching staff were present when the school opened at the normal time.

27. The Ferry fnn. The Ferry Inn was located on the south bank of the River Clyde ne ar the quays for the ferry. It was demolished in 1976. The Ferry Inn was a well-known landmark in the area. In 1917 it became the property of Erskine Hospital duc to the generosity of Lieutenant James Napier. It was described in the same year as a modern building with much accommodation and surrounded by 2 acres of ground. The inn was used to provide accommodation for those who were visiting patients at Erskine Hospital. It was also popular with walkers and cyclists. The writer T.C.F. Brotchie in 1923 described the road to Erskine Ferry as 'a beautiful road, a place of wayside flowers. of trees, of greenness and fragrance'. In addition, he described the scene in the following terms: 'Erskine Ferry and Inn strike a picturesque note pleasing to the aesthetic sense and pleasing also to the physical, for rest and refreshment awaitthe wayfarer at this spot.' There was a tea-room at the inn which in 1929 was owned by Mr. William Harrison.

28. Ferry fnn. A game of bowls is in progress in front of the Ferry Inn. The man on the left appears to be rather formally dressed for this activity. This picture provides an interesting contrast to the previous illustration of the Ferry Inn as the glass-fronted extension to the property had not yet been added. In the 1840s the Reverend Robert W. Stewart stated in the Second Statistical Account th at there was 'a nice inn in the parish kept by the ferryman at Erskine ferry'. However, he was not sa complimentary regarding other public houses in the parish of Erskine. He pointed out that th ere we re five public houses in the parish, one or two ofwhich we re by na means well-conducted. Mr. Stewart also wrote the following: 'In a country parish such as this, the practice of licensing anyone who applies to the quarter sessions, with a certificate from a justice of peace without requiring from the kirk session a certificate of moral character is feit to be an intolerabie nuisance.'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2018 Publisher European library,