Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2

Author
:   John F. Anderson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Renfrewshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-4951-8
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Bishopton and Langbank in old picture postcards volume 2'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

29. Station Raad. This is a view looking down Station Road at the beginning of this century. It can be seen that the road is cornpletely free of traffic and also th at there is no pavement on either side except for a small section at the end of the wall on the right. This wall has been demolished. SimilarIy, the trees on the right of the picture have been cut down. The houses on the irnmediate left is Craigtonlea which was owned iu the late 1920s by Mr. Thomas Galloway. Mr. WyIIie MeIIis had a draper's shop at Titwood. Mrs. Mellis sold confectionery at the same address. Some other occupiers of properties in the Rossland area in the 1920s incIuded the following:

Mrs. CharIotte Reid and Mr. Hamish Rowell, Gledstane Park; Mrs. Sarah Reid, Gledwood; Mr. John Reid, Gledwood Cottage; Mr. Matthew Woodrow, Glenhurst; Mr. Alexander Frew, Duncraggan.

30. Station Road. This is now known as Gledstane Road. The house on the right is Crondall, which was occupied in the 1920s and early 1930s by Miss E.M. Green. On the left of Crondall it can be seen that there is open space where houses have since been built. At one time it was possible to drive from Greenock Road into Gledstane Road, but a barrier has been placed here, thus preventing access by vehicles. The building on the left is semi-detached. Point House was the name of the house on the left, while the house on the right is still known as Ashbourne. When this photograph was taken about 1930, John Needham lived in Point House, while Ashbourne was occupied by Mrs. Agnes Angus. Point House has been renamed 'Iona'. Greenock Road, which is visible in the foreground, was formerly known as Main Road or Glasgow Road.

31. Station Road. Riders for the hunt are seen here assembling in Station Road in the early years of this century. Both Station Road and Greenock Raad are in a very muddy condition. Before the First World War the Renfrewshire Fox Hounds hunted twiee a week during the season and met in the Bishopton area at least onee a week. Mr. John A. Holms of Formakin was a keen huntsman, and possessed several splendid hunters, the most outstanding being named 'Hornpipe'. John Holms was connected with the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire Hunt for many years and was also a prominent figure at the point to point races in which he took part. For a period he was secretary of the Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire Hunt. In November 1911 Mr. Holms had a bad fall while hunting. His bad luek continued the next year as it was in 1912 th at he lost the bulk of his fortune whieh amounted to over f100,000 through iIIieit deals by his business partner, 1 ames Filshill.

32. The Va/es. This view dates from about 1930. 'The Vales' is so named because this group of houses in Greenock Road contain the word 'vale' in their house-names. The house on the left is Annavale and in 1930 it was occupied by Mr. Hugh Cameron. In the same year Mr. Henry Wilson, l.P., and Mr. Charles Mullen resided in Lilyvale, while Mrs. Helen Brown was the occupier of Rosevaie. At th at period also, Miss M. Swanson and Miss E. McCrorie resided at Fernvale. The neatly trimmed hedges in front of the houses have disappeared. On the right of the picture the gable-end of Kirkhill Cottages is visible. The residents there in 1930 were Mr. Thomas Johnstone, Mr. William Duff and Mr. William McDonald. The houses in 'The Vales' were built by Henry Wilson.

33. Bishopton Village. The house on the Jeft has been demolished. The sign for the tea-rooms can be seen on the gable-end and the frontage of wh at was formerly Shaw House. Miss E. Waid was the proprietor of these tea-rooms in the late 1920s. At th at time there was also a tea-room at the east end of the village in Craigton Terrace. It was owned by Miss M. Brown. However, all of the houses in Craigton Terrace have been demolished, and the name no longer exists. The other section of the building in this view is the Golf Inn. Mr. Robert Waid was the proprietor of these pre mises in the 1920s. Next to the Golf Inn is Smithy Cottage and it was there that Mr. J.c. Stirrat once had a blacksmith's shop. The gabie-end on the extreme right is Clarkston Cottage. In 1929 the occupiers were Mr. Joseph Ross, Mr. Bernard Mackin and Miss C. McHaffie. The lane on the left Jed to the headquarters of the 1st Bishopton Boy Scout Troop, which was a disused stable. Matthew Paterson was the first scoutmaster.

34. Bishopton Village. This is a section of Greenock Raad at the western end of the village. The wall on the left has been demolished and the wad has been widened. Erskine Hall's gable-end is visible on the right of this picture as is the telegraph pole whicb bas now disappeared. Even by the late 1920s there were only 57 telephone subscribers in the village. All of the buildings on the left date from the early 19th century. It can be seen tbat there is na traffic on tbe road in tbis view from the 1900s. Compared with the previous picture it is interesting to note tb at there is na sign for tea-rooms on tbe gable-end of Shaw House. Mrs. Galloway once had a confeetioner's shop at Bridgend. Bishopton Old Inn can just be discerned at the top of the pictnre. It was demolisbed in the 1920s. Bernard Mackin, the cobbler , formerly resided in Clarkston Cottage, which is now the Spar shop. He was a passenger on the 'Athenia' which was torpedoed south of Rockall Bank in the Atlantic on the opening day of the Second World War, 3 September, 1939, but was rescued.

Bishopton Village, West.

35. Bishopton Village, West. The semi-detached houses on the right have been demolished and buildings of a si mil ar design have been erected on a site which is further back from the raad. The third cottage on the right has also been demolished and is now the site of Bishopton Gospel Hall. Erskine Hall can he seen on the left of th is view. In 1925 Erskine Parish Council expressed adesire to purchase Erskine Hall, but this was ruled to be illegal under the terms of the Local Government (Scotland) Act of 1894. Erskine Parish Council functioned from 1895 until 1930, when it was disbanded. The first meeting of Erskine Parish Council took place in the school on 11th April 1895. One of the functions of the parish council was to provide financial assistance to the paar of the parish. There was an inspeetor of the poor to deal with such matters, the first being Mr. Duncan. The last person to hold this office was Mr. George Brown. The parish council had an office at Erskine Hall.

36. William Dunsmore. William Dunsmore was bom in Bishopton in the 1870s. He was the son of John Dunsmore, who had a joiner's shop at Bridgend. When he left school he went to work for Mr. Robert Lyle of West Porton Farm and remained in employment there all of his life. William Dunsmore was a skilled gardener and grew beautiful dahlias in his garden at Bridgend. Later he moved house to Greenock Raad, opposite Forsyth's Garage. One of William Dunsmore's other talents was his accuracy in weather forecasting. He was highly regarded in the village and there is now a permanent tribute to his memory in the form of Dunsmore Raad, which was named after him.

37. 'The Corner', Bishopton. This shop in Greenock Road was originally owned by Mr. Robert Wilsou. When this photograph was taken in the early 1930s, the proprietor was Mr. John D. Woodrow. Two machines can be seen on the wall beside the entrance to the shop. It would have been possible to purchase confectionery from these machines by inserting some coins. From the style of the boy's clothing it is likely that this scene was photographed in the summer. There were a further eight confectioners lisred in the Bishopton Directory of 1929: Miss Brown, Craigtan Terrace; Mrs. Galloway, Bridgend; Mr. WilJiam Harrison, Erskine Ferry; Miss Lang, Crossgates; Mrs. W. Mellis, Titwood, Station Raad; G. and E. Smith (Newsagent), Station; Miss Elizabeth Waid, Shaw House, Greenock Road; Mrs. Sutherland, Bylbster Cottages, Greenock Road. There was certainly no shortage of sweets in the villagel Mr. Brian Barton's shop is now located on this site.

38. Porton Place. A man stands near the telegraph pole which has since been removed. The trees have been cut down, a pavement has been laid and the style of fencing has been changed. In the 1920s and early 1930s the Police Office was Iocated at 2 Porton Place. In 1929, Miss C. McDonaId, the district nurse, resided at 1 Porton Place , but in 1931 her address had changed to number 4. The occupiers of numbers 1-12 Porton Place in 1929 were as folIows: John McDonaId; Constabie John Graham; William B. McKay; Mrs. Mary Fordyce; George Brown; Mrs. Julia GIen; James A. Bryce (schoolrnaster Erskine Public School, 1918-1923); William Buchanan; David Forbes; Mrs. Isabella Chambers; Mrs. A. Mclntyre; William M. Arnott.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,