Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   Frank D. Simpson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

9. Still in Ingrave Road looking toward Ongar Road. Here is the original Wilson's Store still not quite complete which was destroyed by fire in 1909 which was replaced by the fine building (now Cooper's), The white gates and coach house (right) belong to The Hollies where Miss Duchesne for many years conducted her select academy for gentlemen's daughters until the 1930's when it moved to St. Thomas's Road.

10. This card of circa 1906 shows the cross road Iooking toward ShenfieId: 1eft is Corner House, for many years home of the Lewis family, which was reconstructed about 1928 into a bank with two shops and chambers above. To the right is Old House, the white house was Mrs. Saville's sweet shop until rep1aced by Eadena House. The ivy covered building was the office of Landen's solicitors since rebuilt as Landon House with flats above. An earIy automobile stands outside and the boys are obviously very interested in the photographer.

11. The cross road Iooking west on a card of the late 1890's showing the newly completed row of shops on the right (1-23) which replaced some very dilapidated property (see card No. 13). The oid Wilson building is on the left, the tall brick house remained in its burnt out state following the great fire for about forty years because of a dispute between the parties on either side.

12. A reversed view to No. 11 at about the same date showing the original Wilson emporium with its high mansard roof: right is the Mansion House recently restored by an insurance company for offices, now the sole survivor of the several fine houses that adorned the street, it was the home and surgery of Dr. Quennell. Next is the White Horse Inn, now modernised, beyond a butcher shop and three houses recently demolished for new shops and offices. Behind the brougham stood the large pump used by waggoners until the stone trough and drinking fountain was built near the signpost.

13. An early card of High Street looking east showing the old property replaced by the new parade (see previous view) and the first 'Yorkshire Grey' soon after rebuilt, see No. 14, the tiny white shop survived until circa 1930 of Mary Ann Twinn, an eccentric who left everything in the window as her mother left them many years before. It was festooned with cobwebs, sweets had melted in the jars and all was thick with dust of ages,

14. This card shows the reconstructed Yorkshire Grey; it was altered later when a balcony replaced the verandah and a refreshment room opened at the right with an entrance through the window next to the flagpole. The old cab or 'growler', the title more usually bestowed upon them, is no doubt from Culyer's jobmasters establishment two doors to the left of the inn, in what is now known as Doone's yard after Mr. Doone who took over the business replacing the cabs with motor taxis and hire cars. New shops now cover the site of this once well known land mark: the forecourt was taken for a public convenience.

15. The same area as shown on a postcard of about 1930, the position of the Yorkshire Grey is indicated by its lofty sign board and the white wall of the public convenience. There is a fine selection of vintage motors including an Austin 16 saloon, behind it is a motorcycle and sidecar with acetylene lighting, next a Dodge saloon with an old Reo bus behind: Mr. Curtis's red and white Ongar & District bus is just leaving. Next an original fust type Morris 8, and finally an Eastern National Gilford coach. The Arcade (right) has replaced the County Motor Works of Mr. Good which followed Percy Crowe's mens outfitting shop.

16. Now in St. Thomas's Road, this view from the church gate about 1908 shows the 1896 post office at far end on left, the garden on right is now covered by the Arcade and earlier by Rippons Garage. Most of the houses have now become offices: for many years the Brentwood Gazette was produced in the last house on the right. Facing the camera in High Street is another fine house, 'Red House', where Woolworths' new store stands: previously Bakers' Fashions and two other shops.

17. Retumed to the High Street: this early view is probably from the same camera as No. 11 but a little farther west. Only one building of all those shown here still stands today, the three storey property on the right (Nos. 22-24), left is the Manor House, right was The Laurels, a [me double bay windowed house where Tesco is now. Next was a seedmens shop and nursery, now oceupied by the post office. The trees left were removed when the new trees were planted along the whole of this end of the street. How wide and spacious it all seems without traffic.

18. This is High Street looking west from the same point as No. 17 a few years later after kerbs and paving flags have been laid; the first two shops on the right (Nos. 53-55) became Boots Chemists, the next two were taken down and rebuilt for Mac Fisheries and Sainsbury's, Left the first shop is Smith's corn stores (later Gramphorn's) followed by a house and the Chequers Hotel with its pair of gables and white stucco front, next the low wall in front of the Priory (a private house) and the chapel ruins. The large chimneys on the right belonged to the Lion and Lamb Hotel befare it was rebuilt.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,