Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   Frank D. Simpson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

59. Passing over the bridge this 1908 eard shows the original station entrance on the 'up' side which White in 1848 described as 'one of the handsomest of the smaller stations on the Eastern Counties Railway' which opened in 1840. This was demolished to make way for the widening which had been mentioned already, The station staff are weil aware of the presence of the photographer. On the left over the station ean be seen the Hunter Memorial Hall whieh has seen a variety of uses. A terraee of shops is now on the lef! where the trees stood.

60. The lower part of Warley Hill at the point where Avenue Road branches to the right which may be dated a little after 1920 by the old Ford taxicab ascending the hilL The buildings are still very similar, though the Wesleyan chapel has been modernised in front, in course of which it lost its rather elegant pinnacles. Cramphorns mill, on the left, is now a warehouse for office supplies.

61. One wonders how all the public houses made a living in the past, for this is another that closed its doors many years ago. It is The Brass Bar, so named from the brass hitching rail on the front of the building which is not without architectural interest aided by the small ornamental balcony. It became a fish and chip shop, and more recently a house with car sales adjoining.

62. This is another in the series of aerial views of the town which are very helpful in getting sight of properties not normally visible to the average citizen. This gives an excellent impression of the great extent of buildings and land at Warley Hospital, formerly the Essex County Lunatie Asylurn. lt was built largelyon land whieh formed part of the Brentwood Hall Estate, home of the Kavanagh family, Top left is the old Brentwood Gas Works, top centre is Creseent Road with Warley Hili and Junction Road just below it at top right. The houses in Chase Road ean be seenjust above the large gas-holder.

Headfey Arms Great Warfey near Brentwood.

63. The present Headley Arms bears litt1e resemblance to its predecessor shown here in this pretty setting of about seventy years ago. It takes its name from a former Lord of the Manor: Lord Headley of the Allanson-Winn family. The tit1e is held today by Charles Rowland, who is the seventh Baron, but is also the thirteenth Baronet of Nostell and the seventh of Litt1e Warley, creations of 1797,1660 and 1776 respectively, of Aghadoe Co Kerry and Arundel Sussex.

64. Across the small Headley Commom, on the west side of the Tilbury Road, lies the Great Ropers estate - home of the Hirst family for generations. It is, in fact, in South Weald parish. This early card fails to reveal why the family are so disposed on one of its severallawns. The semi-eireular bays and pedirnented front entrance of this fine house are of interest. The house takes its name from Henry Roper, pursuivant to Katherine of Aragon, who let the lands in 1617 to William Ipgrave from whom they passed to John Hirst.

65. Separated from the last property by Green Lane was the Warley Place estate; the house depicted here was the home of that great horticulturist and eccentric Ellen Willmott, who evolved or collected many new varieties of plants - many to this day bearing the sub-title Willmottü. She expended a considerable fortune creating several very specialised gardens employing up to sixty gardeners at one time, to the detriment of the main property. After her death in the late 1930's the property was sold, and the house completely demolished. The War delayed the proposed development, which has however been disallowed. The large open area is a delightful sight when the millions of spring bulbs are in bloom.

The Thaichers Arms Great

.~

66. This 1900 card shows that this rather fine old inn has changed but Iittle over the years, except the horse trough no longer exists. The delivery cart belonged to Pond and Langrish, who had a grocery business next to The Bell in the High Street which many will remember was owned latterly by G.F. Morgan. The sign of the inn Thatchers Arms is extremely uncommon, in fact there are no Thatchers Arms as such; the College of Heraids has never made such a grant of arms.

Golding's Cottages and Tooks Farm, Great Warley.

67. This pretty view of Great Warley Street of 1902 hardly looks like the main road to Tilbury it is today. The cottages were part of the Goldings estate of E. Heseltine, whose beautiful house and grounds across the road has now become the New World Inn and restaurant. The photographer was fortunate to capture in his picture an itinerant knife-grinder, a Mr. Butts who describes himself on his machine as a cutler, who also undertook to repair umbrellas and rivet china and glass. These men were a familiar sight in our streets in the past, but it is now a vanished trade, no one does it any more.

68. Here is another of the many fine houses which abounded in the Brentwood area. This is Coombe Lodge; about a hundred years ago it was one of the more elegant Victorian erections, the beautiful verandah giving it something of a colonial atmosphere. It was occupied latterly by General de Rougement and his family, his son Denys took an important interest in local affairs. It still exists but has now become an hotel The house is said to have been built for a member of the Ind family which, with the Coope's, founded the famous brewery at Romford and later at Burton-on-Trent. The Coope's lived at Rochetts at South Weald.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,