Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   Frank D. Simpson
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3053-0
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Brentwood in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Military Funeral

Brentwood.

.-

69. The same London postcard photographer who took view 67 was also lucky enough to capture the unusual spectacle of a military funeral when he reached the barracks at Warley. The cortege is wearing the uniform red of the days before khaki had been introduced and are bearing reversed arms with the right arm behind the back. It has just emerged from the garrison church situated behind the officers mess, which can just be seen on the right, and is on what is now known as Eagle Way, presumably en route to the cemetery at Lorne Road,

70. This aerial view shows the extent of the former military station which was in two parts: depot Essex Regiment and a Guards barracks; all of which has been demolished with much now being used by the Ford Motor Company. The building with the portico (1ower front) was the Guards Officers Mess; the garrison church is extreme upper left, the old married quarters are top centre. The open area right was at one time a race course. The road leading up on the right is now The Drive.

71. Going by the garrison church and Warley Gap, the lane leads to Childerditch Common where is the favourite Greyhound Inn, shown here in a card reproduced from a painting by Basil Holmes before the property was considerably reconstructed some years ago. It has always been a popular place for picnics at week-ends in summer. There was a 9-hole golf course on the common until about fifty years ago.

72. The Avenue which passes between Harts Wood and Thorndon Park has always been a favourite walk with Brentwood folk. This view looking towards the Running Waters has not changed very materially though some private house development has occured on the Harts Wood side. The Thorndon estate saw-mill was behind the fence on the right, and Lion Lodge is behind the photograp her.

,

..?. --:::c:.--.

-:;;.. .

- .

_ --e.._ .

. ~-

73. This card, which is post-marked 1910, shows Woodman Road which appears to have a very rough surface and little paving at this time. The photographer has carefully grouped all those who wished to 'get in the picture'. Little building appears to have yet occured on the right, the former Guardsman public house can be seen left, and a market cart stands outside Mr. Cowling's dairy. Upland Road now branches left by the little shop, and the new Warley cernetery is on the left by the second group of trees.

74. Continuing along Hartswood Road which is carried across the very doop railway cutting by the rather fine Seven Arch Bridge, which was built entirely from the bricks of the demolished mansion of Mill Green House at Ingatestone. On the right there was a mail-bag receiving and despatching apparatus in use until the widening of the line. The Great Eastern locomotive is one of Holden's long lived 'Intermediate' class; a hundred were built 1891-1902, sorne lasting until the very end of steam.

75. This superb postcard of 1902-03 has captured the 'Norfolk Coast Express', pride of the Great Eastern Railway, here thundering up the difficult Brentwood Bank just west of the Seven Arch Bridge. The secend engine is one of the new Claud Hamilton class fitted experimental1y with the Holden oil-burning apparatus, Notice the oil tank on top of the tender in lieu of a supply of coal. The locomotives are putting up a grand show of steam and smoke as both firemen work hard to maintain a full head of steam.

76. At thc time this view was taken in Cornslands (circa 1910) only the first five houses had been built. This is approximately the point where the recent development of Lakeside Crescent and Wren Place join this private road which has never been made up.

77. This rare view must have been photographed from the top of the railway bank near where Upper Cornslands is now located. The high building at the left is Hill's brewery when it was still operating; it was taken over by lnd Coope early this century. It then became the engineering works of Mitchell Brothers for many years, The houses on the right are on the west side of Myrtle Road, those on the east side have not yet been put up. Newly completed houses in Warley Mount just show above the brewery. This area is now all re-developed with Cameron Close covering most of it.

78. This unfamiliar view card, posted in 1904, shows the third pond on Shenfield Common whieh was known as Burgess's. It was at the foot of the 'tips' but gradually dried out leaving a wet sludgy area. The newly planted avenue of trees along Seven Arehes Road ean be seen on the left, the house near the eentre is faeing the mill pond.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,