Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

5 .923

PETTY ÇURY. CAMBRIDGE

9. Postal1y used in 1912 this photograph taken a little further down the street captures the eharacter of Petty Cury with its eol1eetion of popular shops. Alexandra House ean be seen on the left of the photograph. At this time Heffer's Bookshop was in Petty Cury and had been since 1896, not far away on the south side was the 'Lion' later to give its name the controversial Lion Yard redevelopment in the 1970's. The Lion Yard shopping precinet rep1aced the whole of the northern side of Petty Cury and covered the area of litt1e streets and yards behind it.

10. Sidney Street underwent huge changes in the period between the wars with the major stores vying for position. Here is the eastern side seen from Holy Trinity Church. Many small shops were lost when Marks and Spencer and Woolworth built huge stores here in the early 1930's. This was taken about 1890 at the same time as photograph no. 4.

11. On the western side many small shops were lost when Boots, who had opened a branch in Petty Cury some years before, extended their store in an L-shape and opened a new and more impressive entrance onto Sidney Street in 1929. A plaque on the present store records that Charles Darwin had a tenancy there in 1828 when he was at Christ's College.

12. Nearby the corner of Hobson Street and Sussex Street was demolished with most of Sussex Street to farm a new shopping crescent. This photograph appears to have been taken shortly before the clearance of the old properties.

~ )922

$IDNt:Y STRt:t:T. C"IIIBRIDGt:

13. The corner of Galloway and Porter's bookshop can be seen in the right foreground next to Sidney Sussex College. Sidney Sussex was built on the site of a thirteenth century Franciscan Friary in the late sixteenth century. Oliver Cromwell, one time Lord Protector of England, became a fellow commoner at the college in 1616. Galloway and Porter's well known new and antiquarian bookshop was established in Sidney Street in 1902. At the time of this Edwardian photograph John Johnson, tailor and clothier, and Frederick Moore, tobacconist, were opposite.

14. The top of Holy Sepulchre, the famous Norman round church in Bridge Street, can be seen over the trees, now gone, in this turn of the century photograph. There is also a tantalising glimp se of Round Church Street where it forks down Ram Yard. At the place where the roads forked stood at this time Prziborsky's barber's shop. The shop with other buildings was later cleared in 1961 to widen the street which is now the entrance to the Park Street multi-story car park. In this study of more leisurely times the young ladies with their bicycles talk in the roadway while the raad sweeper, broom in hand, contemplated the progress of the horse-drawn cart from St. John's Street.

15. The George Commercial Hotel stood in Round Church Street behind the church itself as can be seen from the corner of the church yard. The corner of the barber's shop can be seen on the left and narrowness of Round Church Street can be judged, The George Hotel was demolished in 1884 so that a north wing extension could be added to the Union Society building which had been built behind the Round Church in 1866.

Uj'id~ ? 'trtet,

16. One of the best postcard photographers in the early years of this century in Cambridge was William Tarns. He was butler to a master of St. John's College and a keen amateur photographer, Later he became a professional photographer and official photographer to the University. Here he was in Bridge Street, near the Round Church, looking towards Magdalene Street. The buildings on the left were demolished by St. John's College to make space for their Music School in 1938. On the right of the view on the corner of Thompson's Lane is Norman Bradley, the pawnbroker. The traditional pawnbroker's sign of three balls can be clearly seen on the corner of the building.

17. Magdalene College from the cast iron bridge built in 1823 and designed by Arthur Browne. This was always the principal crossing point over the Cam into the city. A succession of wooden bridges was replaced by a stone bridge designed by local architect James Essex in 1754. When the stone bridge was declared to be 'in decay and ruinous' in 1799 money was raised for the iron bridge which was of a revolutionary design with a three-pin arch, Because of its importance in recent years it has been strengthened rather than replaced by a new bridge.

Old Houses at Bullen's, Cambridge

18. Bullen's Beatyard and Fisher Lane are here seen from Magdalene Bridge. Fisher Lane was a small wharf demolished in 1932 by Magdalene College. lt was the last of the sma1l wharves on the river surviving from the middle ages, Others like Flax Hythe, Corn Hythe and Salt Hythe took their names from the goods landed there. In the photograph, postally used in 1928 but looking much earlier about 1905, can be seen on the left an early garden punt. The pleasure punts so associated with this stretch of the Cam first made their appearance in Cam bridge around 1902-1904.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,