Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

? 12558

MAGDALEN COLLEGE. CAMBRIDGE.

19. Magdalene College, and not the spelling on this Edwardian card which is how it is spelt at the 'other place', was founded by Thomas, Baron Audley, in 1542 on the site of an ancient Benedictine Priory, which had become Buekingham College in 1483. Distinguished graduates from Magdalene include Samuel Pepys and he paid for the building of the Pepys' Library in the seventeenth century, and Charles Kingsley, the Victorian author. The attraetive aneient street frontage whieh gives Magdalene Street so much of its eharm and historie interest ean just be seen opposite the College.

20. The cross roads where Magdalene Street runs into Cast1e Street, Chesterton Lane comes in from the right and meets Northampton Street. 'Ye Olde White Horse' was a sixteenth century inn until 1934 when it became the Cambridge and County Folk Museum housing a priceless collection of domestic and rural bygones. This photograph was taken by Ted Mott and shows the junction before the traffic lights. lt is a companion photograph to a view of Northampton Street with even the same policeman on point duty.

21. A view of Castle Street taken from opposite the Folk Museum and looking up the hili. Spencer Howe's draper's shop can be seen in the left foreground. The photograph like the previous one dates from the 1920's.

22. This impressive County Court building stood on Castie Street, where the front car park for Shire Hall is now. Described in the 1904 Keily's Directory as 'a structure of brick and stone in the Italian style, with a portico supported on columns; the interlor comprises two courts with grand jury and magistrates' rooms and the usual offices ... The assizes for the county, the Isle of Ely and Huntingdonshire and sessions for the countyare held here', The building was demolished in 1954 and within recent years new Magistrates' Courts have been built on top of the Lion Yard multi-story car park.

23. His Majesty's prison and House of Correction was built around 1802 on the Castle Hili. The oId castie that onee stood on the hill had been used as a prison before that, The building eeased to be used as a prison in 1916, but was not finally demolished until 1931, at the time the new Shire Hall was built on Cast1e Hili.

24. Another William Tams photograph dating from about 1896 but postally used in 1907. The cottages on the left hand side were demolished in 1911. W. Collin's woodyard ean be seen at the junction of Chesterton Lane with Northampton Street. The woodyard adjoined the 'White Horse Inn' until removed in 1911, presumably to widen the road at that point.

25. This Ted Mott photograph, the companion to the Castle Street view, but this time showing the back view of the policeman, also shows the change in the Chesterton Lane corner brought about by the earlier demolition of the cottages and their replacement by a high wall. With the woodyard also gone the road is now quite wide. The newsagents on the corner adjoins an attractive range of eighteenth century or earlier dwellings which were renovated by Magdalene College in 1966.

26. Merchant's General and Provision Stores stood in Northampton Street on the corner of Kettles Yard. The spire of St. Peter's Church on Castie Hil! can be seen. The late seventeenth century 'Spotted Cow' was a public house until1921 eventually becoming part of the clearance that allo wed the Honey Hil! cottages to be built. In this 1920's photograph one of the errand boys' delivery bicycles, once such a feature of the street scene, belonged to Metca1fe's, the stationers, of Trinity Street.

27. Northampton Street was formerly called Bell Lane, taking its name from the Bell Inn. After 1912 the Bell Inn ceased to be a public house and the time of this photograph, around 1930, was the premises of A. Clark, motor and cycle agent, with the old inn yard used as a garage.

ST.ANDRF.W'S ST., CAMBRIDGE.

28. The narrowness of St. Andrew's Street is illustrated by this card postally used in 1923 and looking towards the point where Sidney Street and Hobson Street join it. On the right is the First Court of Christ's College, completed by Lady Margaret Beaufort, the mother of Henry VII. At one time the thirteenth century Barnwell Gate stood at this point, one of the fortifications erected by Henry III during his troubles with the rebellious barons. Part of the Great St. Andrew's Church can be seen in the left foreground and the spire of Lloyds Bank ean he seen in the distanee.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,