Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

29. Robert Sayle's store still dominates this section of St. Andrew's Street today as it did in this view of some seventy years ago. Robert Sayle opened his drapery business on the site in 1840. In Victorian times many of the shop's employees lived in a hostel on the upper floors of the store. Shop hours were long and the hostel strictly controlled. Men had to be in by 10 p.m., although an half hour extension was granted once a week for courting. The girls had to be in by 9 p.m.

30. 'Ye Olde Castel Hotel' in St. Andrew's Street, was of of the city's leading hotels. Here was the terminus for the London to Cam bridge coaches. The hotel was destroyed by fire in 1927 and part of the site was used to build 'The Castle' public house soon afterwards, while in 1937 the Regal Cinema was built on the rest of the site. The Regal is now a two screen cinema renamed the ABC 1 and 2. The spire that can be seen on the Baptist Chapel was removed during the Second World War.

31. The photographer here has moved a little further along St. Andrew's Street and now focuses upon the Baptist Chapel and the Police Station. While a Baptist Chapel was established near the site in the ear1y eighteenth century, the present building was opened in 1904. The Police Station built in 1901 was constructed on the site of the Spinning House. Since the building of a new Police Station at Parkside, the old Police Station has been used by the City Council for its Housing Department.

32. This is the Spinning House which formerly stood on the site where the Police Station was built. It was founded in 1628 by Thomas Hobson, the famous Cam bridge carrier who has gone to immortality in the phrase Hobson's choice, which amounts to no choice at all. That was connected with his method of hiring out horses, not the Spinning House which was a place of correction and pOOI house. Here the inmates were put to work spinning. During the last century it became almost entire1y a prison for prostitutes convicted by the University Vice-Chancellor's court. Eventually at the end of the century the rnuch-hated Spinning House was given up by the University and demolished.

33. Looking back up St. Andrew's Street this photograph gives a different view of the 'Olde Castel Hotel'. Next to it can be seen the Be1fast Linen warehouse first opened in Regent Street in 1905, but moved in 1908 to the position seen here and the one it occupies today.

34. The University Arms on Regent Street was opened in May 1834 by W. Bird. The hotel enjoyed a superb aspect overlooking Parker's Piece. In the early 1920's the Bradford family bought the freehold of the hotel from Jesus College and extensiveIy enlarged it in 1925. On the Ieft of this Edwardian photograph can be seen the steel framework of the hetel's large garage.

REGENT ST., CAMBRIDGE. .

35. A view of Regent Street in the 1920's, the card was postally used in 1927, looking towards the Catholic Church.

36. The tall town houses of Park Terrace, built between 1831 and 1835, seen from Parker's Piece. They look litt1e changed externally today,

S 12Se3

PARKERS PIECE:. CAM9RIDGE:.

37. Parker's Piece is possibly one of the best known grass open spaces in the country. The name is synonymous with countless games of cricket, football and hockey. The great Sir Jack Hobbs played cricket on Parker's Piece befare finding farne with Surrey and the M.C.C. Apavilion, now used as a restaurant, was built to commemorate his name in 1930 and his playing record was displayed on boards inside. On 28th June 1838 some 14,000 poor men and women and children celebrated the Coronation of Queen Victoria with a meal on the Piece.

38. A group of shops in Regent Street seen in the late 1920's, with a Raleigh Service Depot, motor cycle agents in the foreground, then M.B. Brewster's fruit shop, a chemist, then Murdoch, Murdoch and Co, musical instrument dealers, with Arthus Negus and Sans, builders, beyond that.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,