Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. Another view of Regent Street, again the work of Ted Mott and taken from the top of a bus as it headed into the town. Ted Mott was a remarkable man who printed a great many postcards from his home during the 1920's. He was bom in Markyate, lived first in Chesterton and then at Shelford where he had a fancy goods shop. Usually he cycled around Cambridge and the villages with his plate postcard camera to get the views he wanted. They were then sold at one penny each. He died in 1947.

40. Hills Road Wesleyan Methodist Church stood on the corner of Norwich Street for one hundred years until demolished in 1973. At the time of this photograph in the 1920's the Dorset Temperanee Hotel stood on the other corner of Norwich Street. In the group of buildings further along the road with the flagpole was the 'House of Commons' public house.

5 1927

HILLS ROAD. CAM8RIOGE.

41. The first of two Edwardian postcards taken for the Kingsway Real Photo Series from nearly the same spot on Hills Road. This view looks towards the City centre along Hills Road and shows the Great Northern Hotel on the right at the entrance to Station Road. The tram lines ean be clearly seen in the eentre of the road turning up Station Road.

STATION ROAD. CA ?? SRIDGE

42. Now the photographer has turned to look down Station Road to the distant railway station. Prominent in the right foreground is Rattee and Kett's, Kett House, now the site of modern offices also named Kett House.

43. Postally used in 1915 this photograph shows the 'Bull Hotel' horse-drawn carriage and an Ortona motor bus waiting with other vehicles outside the Great Eastern RaiIway Station. The station building was designed by Sancton Wood in the Italian style and opened in 1845.

44. lust before the railway reached Cam bridge, at the census of 1841 there were some 24,453 inhabitants of the city. The railway passing though the east of the city encouraged development near. In the Mill Road area the developrnent was firstly inside the line of the railway in the 1870's and this was followed by the Romsey Town area. At first there was a railway crossing along the Mill Road, but the railway company agreed that should there be the need it wou1d put in a bridge. It became necessary and the bridge can be seen in this Tams' photograph which shows the view looking into Romsey Town around 1900.

45. The ARC Knitting Company was at no. 12 Mill Road around 1907 when this photograph was taken. Above the shop was the office of the Sturbridge Brick Company, the nameplate of the Secretary, Arthur Bayles can be seen on the door at the side of the shop.

46. The Salisbury Commercial Hotel stands on the corner of Tenison Avenue and Wilkin Street. In December 1908 George Scott the proprietor sent this postcard to wish a friend Christmas greetings ... 'You will scarcely recognise the man with the short beard but that's your hum ble servant...' In recent years 'The Salisbury' has been a public house owned by CAMRA - the Campaign for Real Ale.

47. W. Bell had a family butcher's shop at 59 Ross Street on the corner of St. Philip's Raad, one of the many small shops that came with the housing development in the Mill Street area in the late Victorian period.

48. The Fitzroy and Burleigh Streets area of the town in the early years of this century had a lively mixture of shops, public houses and residences. This it was considered was where Cambridge's main shopping area away from the College dominated centre would develop. Indeed as this lovely photographic postcard of Fitzroy Street postally used in 1906 shows Laurie and McConnall's department store complete with band stand on the roof rebuilt after their fire of 1903 was already there among the smaller shops. In Burleigh Street was a large branch of the Co-operative Society. After years of controversy and debate over the area which became known as 'The Kite' that development did take place in the early 1980's, not perhaps as was first imagined but with a new covered shopping complex called 'The Grafton Centre'.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,