Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

49. 'The Forester's' public house selling Bailey's Ales stood on the corner of Burleigh Street. It is photographed here in about 1890 and shows the street before the Co-operative Society built their large branch stores there.

50. Apart from the pencilled word 'Cam bridge' on the back of this superb Edwardian photographic postcard of a shop, there was no other clue as to the name of the shop or its position in the town. Quite often, and infuriatingly, this is the case with such photographs that were probably printed in very limited quantities. The shop was eventually identified with the help of the Cam bridge Evening News as that of Erasmus Naylor in Norfolk Street. Erasmus Naylor, who stands in the doorway, was the uncle of Richard Naylor who has a grocer's shop at 94 Mill Road, Cambridge today. The site of Erasmus Naylor's shop seen here is now a block of flats.

51. S. Wilson had a smal1 grocery business at 81 High Street, Chesterton. The photograph dates from around 1930.

5'9'8

BAOOKLANOS AVENUE. CAMBAIOGE

52. Before Brooklands Avenue became associated with various Government offices it was as this postcard, postally used in August 1911, shows a narrow unmade, tree-lined avenue.

53. The Botanie Gardens in Bateman Street were opened in 1846 on a twenty acre site. In the Kelly's Directory for 1904 the garden is described as 'weil arranged and contains an extensive collection of indigenous and foreign plants: in the centre is a piece of ornamental water, and the whole garden is surrounded by trees and shrubs, arranged in such a manner as to afford the most complete facility for reference: the hot houses are spacious, and contain a variety of curious and valuable exotics', In 1888 and 1891 the plant houses were rebuilt at a cost of over fS,OOO.

S 1935

LENSFIELD ROAO. CAMSRIDGE

54. Two more cards from the very goed Kingsway Real Photo Series. The first is of Lensfield Road looking towards the Catholic Church. The tram lines can be clearly seen down the middle of the road, otherwise the traffic can be described as very light, unlike modern times when the raad is a main traffic route.

S 1~33

TRUMPINGTON T"EI[T. CAM BRIDGE.

55. An early motor vehicle makes its way between the horse-drawn earts and bieycles along Trumpington Street towards the town eentre. The tram lines ean be seen in the midd1e of the road. The trams stopped running in 1914 and while the eard probab1y dates a little befare that it was postal1y used in 1916 by what reads like a soldier passing through: 'Just arrived at Cam bridge where lam ehanging, time 10 o'clock. Have cleaned buttons on train, 1 1eave here 10.30 ... Plenty of soldiers here.' It was written to his wife in North London.

56. Quite unusual to find the postcard photographer moving so far out of the City centre. But here, around, 1930 Ted Mott is in Grantchester Street. The focus of his attentions is the shop and sub-post office of Mrs. Mercy Mary Cornwell, from which he rnight anticipate a number of the cards would be sold. As the city spread out, so such small sub-post offices were established providing an easily accessible service to the residents of particular areas. In recent years given the greater mobility of people and post office economies the numbers of such sub-post offices is being reduced all the time.

57. Not far away at Trumpington in 1924 the freedom to travel brought about by the motor car has also brought one of its inherent pIO blems for the postcard photographer to record for all to see. Eventually, and it still hasn't finished, the motor car will destroy more of Cam bridge than just the corner of some unfortunate persen's house. In 1924 the problems were only just beginning.

58. Anyone injured in that accident at Trumpington would not have had to go far for hospital treatment. Addenbrooke's Hospital on the Trumpington Street which can be seen through all Rattee and Kett's scaffolding was founded in the eighteenth century following a bequest of some .f:4,500 by John Addenbrooke, M.D., who died in 1719. The first hospital building was put up in 1740 for the care of 'poor people of any parish or county'. In 1766 an Act of Parliament was passed for making it a general hospital and to be able to obtain the further funds necessary to expand its work. Over the years great sums were raised and many additions and extensions made. Eventually the pressing need for a modern and much enlarged hospitalled to work beginning on the new Addenbrooke's Hospital in Hills Road, the first stage of which was opened by the Queen in May 1962. The old Addenbrooke's Hospitally finally closed in 1984.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,