Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Pernbr- ke Col'ego and Pi tt Press, Ca.mbridge

59. The Pitt Press or University Printing Office on the west side of Trumpington Street was chiefly paid for by funds raised to commemorate the statesman, William Pitt. The Marquess of Cam den, Chairman of the London Pitt Club, laid the foundation stone in November 1831 and opened the building on 30th April 1833. The Cambridge University Press is the oldest existing Bible publisher and printer in the world. It received its royal printing and publishing warrant in 1534 from Henry VIII. Pembroke College on the right hand side of the view was founded in 1347 by Mary, daughter of Guy de Chastillon, Comte de St. Paul, and widow of Aymer de Valence, 2nd Earl of Pembroke.

60. This classic view of King's College Chapel was sent by Wilfrid to Bert and Bessie at Kettering in July 1904 with the following message: 'Only got to Cam bridge last night, Walter repaired my bike before starting. It's about had its day and wants pushing. However, lexpeet to reach Clacton sometime today.' As can be seen there was a hansom cab rank in Senate House Hili.

..7C:m;.

61. It is the same cab rank but this time by turning round we have a view of the Senate House on the left and Caius (pronounced Keys) College beyond it. More properly known as Gonville and Caius College it was founded in 1348 but the part seen in this photograph fronting Trinity Street was rebuilt in the years 1868-1870. At the Senate House the degrees are conferred and other public business of the University is carried out. When the University returned Members of Parliament they were elected there with the Vice-Chancellor being the returning officer.

62. Downing Street photographed around 1905. On the left can be seen the Law School and University Museum opened by Edward VII in 1904. Opposite in the foreground at the entrance to Corn Exchange Street was until1876 Cambridge's first Corn Exchange then H. Liddiard's cycle depot: 'has the best accommodation for housing and cleaning cycles ... Unequalled to meet all requirements for cyclists, and all kinds of repairs undertaken'. The University Bicycle Club was also there. Next to Liddiard's was Whitmore and Co, wine merchants and distillery agents. Both buildings have been demolished and Corn Exchange Street is the busyentrance to the Lion Yard multi-story car park.

63. Queens' Road known as 'The Backs' and photographed here in around 1908. Here in one stretch of road the gardens of St. John's, Trinity, Clare, King's. and Queen's straddle the Cam by a series of small bridges.

? '1130

RIVER FROM SILVER STREET BRIOGE. CAMBRIOGE.

64. Sî1ver Street bridge is the dividing line between the more formal college 'Backs' and the more rural grazing land of Laundress Green and Sheep 's Green. This is a fine view, again in the Kingsway Real Photo Series, and shows the old cast iron bridge and the Anchor public house, still a popular point for hiring boats. The card was postally used in 1916. A road bridge at this point has been traeed back to the fourteenth century. This cast iron bridge was built in 1843. Owing to the heavy traffic it carried and bad design a survey in 1913 showed the need for a new bridge. Repairs were done, however, and the bridge lasted another forty or so years, until a new concrete bridge, clad with port1and stone, was opened in 1957.

6637

TRINITY COLLEGE BRIDGE. CA~BRIOGE

VALEHTUU:S SER1~.

65. Nearly every College along 'The Backs' it seemed had to have its own bridge over the Cam. Trinity Bridge was designed and built by Jarnes Essex in 1764-65 and appropriately has three arches. One of the previous stone bridges was pulled down during the Civil War in 1643 by Cromwellian soldiers in their defence of the town.

66. This is really quite an early photograph of the Jesus Green footbridge. 1 have seen it dated as early as 1870, but the view was still being used as a postcard in Edwardian times. Before 1836 there was a sluice on the Cam at this point and then that was replaced by locks. The date of this bridge is unknown, possibly 1868, but as can be seen it was at a low level with a High Back over the locks. This photograph from the Chesterton Road side shows the loek keeper's cottage and Jesus Green beyond it.



.,J. :.

· .??. ot ? ,

". ,:.r ... !

. .--

67. A later photograph which shows the new bridge constructed before the end of the nineteenth century in about 1892 and all at one higher level. The next photograph will give a closer look at the fine Victorian houses on the Chesterton Raad that can be seen beyond the bridge.

68. 'Edie' sent this card in 1910 and identified where she lived at 49 Chesterton Road by the eommon praetice of marking the front of the eard with an 'x'. These fine town houses look over the Cam towards Jesus Green.

<<  |  <  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,