Cambridge in old picture postcards

Cambridge in old picture postcards

Author
:   Michael Rouse
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Cambridgeshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2960-2
Pages
:   144
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambridge in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

eh nerton Rood, Cambridge.

69. Chesterton was a separate parish, a straggling village along the north bank of the River Cam. In 1912 part of the parish of Chesterton was fonned into the Cam bridge Without civil parish and ward along with part of Cherry Hinton and Grantchester and Trumpington, returning one Alderman and three councillors to the Cambridge Borough Council. In 1922 under the provisions of the Cam bridge Corporation Act the civil parishes of Chesterton and Cambridge Without were inc1uded in the civil parish of Cam bridge. Chesterton Road before the need to cater for the traffic pouring in and out on the AIO in this photograph by William Tams is almost unrecognisable today, On the left is the sub-police station at the corner of Milton Road. The junction with Victoria Avenue is also seen before the development of Mitcham's Corner as it became known after the shop established there.

70. The Spring public house now known as the 'Rob Roy' on Chesterton Raad in the late 1920's next to the Tivoli Cinema. The Tivoli was built by Sidney Byron Andrews and opened on 19th March 1925 with a feature film and a London orchestra playing live. The architect was George P. Banyard. The Tivoli closed its doors as a cinema on 19th November 1956 and became a warehouse.

71. The junction of Chesterton Road with Victoria Avenue in the late 1920's with Mitcham's shop beginning to dominate the corner.

72. The row of shops just around the corner from the Victoria Avenue junction with Chesterton Road, photographed by Ted Mott around 1930. At this time Miss Elsie Oxberry kept a hardware shop and post office, next to her was C.T. Green, confectioner and dairyman, then came Freeman, Hardy and Willis' shoe shop, Barker's chemists and Thomas Westrope, watch maker. The marmer in which the shop fronts project from the main building suggests they might have been added to cater for the growing population as the new housing estates were developed.

73. The Arbury Road Baptist Church was built in 1930 and shows how Cambridge was spreading northward at the time. No doubt to keep pace with the accelerated growth of the Arbury Area in the 1960's a striking modern extension was built on the right hand front of the existing church and a new en trance arch and foyer were created in 1965.

u:ober6ton6 :::o:d. C~mD; ..l..:e.

74. When the De Freville estate in Chesterton came onto the market as building land in the 1880's, it was developed with similar looking villas lining similar looking tree-lined avenues. William Tams photographed Humberstone Road around the turn of the century. This card of Humberstone Road has written on the back: 'This shows our road from the P.O. So you can hardly see our house, it is just where you see the 3 children on the road on the left hand side.' Apart from the sales to local residents at that post office mentioned, it is difficult to imagine this card having a very wide appeal.

75. Kimberley Road like the nearby Pretoria Road in the De Frevi1le area of Chesterton shows the preoccupation with South African affairs at the time they were developed at the end of the nineteenth century. In this Ted Mott photograph taken around 1930 the cars and vans look intrusive compared with the earlier photograph of Humberstone Road. It is, of course, the shape of things to come.

76. Ted Mott the photographer again around 1930 recording some oid cottages in Water Street, Chesterton. with the 'Pike and Eel' public house in the distance. The cottages have subsequent1y been replaced by some undistinguished housing at Fallowfieid. The 'Pike and Eel' had its own ferry across to Stourbridge Common.

The Ferry.- Old Chesterton.

77. A lovely photograph by William Tams of the smaller of the two ferries that operated from the 'Green Dragon' public house in Water Street, Chesterton, and Stourbridge Common. This was the ferry for pedestrians while next to it the large Horse Grind Ferry could carry a horse and cart and was much used for ferrying coal over the river. The ferryman for many years was Alf Ford until in 1935 a footbridge was constructed at the spot. The ferries must have been busy when the main annual Cambridge fair was held on Stourbridge Common in the second half of September and the first part of October, but both the ferries and the fair fmished in that same year of 1935.

78. The need for a bridge over the Cam at Chesterton was obvious from the number of ferries operating along that stretch of water in the nineteenth century. From a ferry at the 'New Spring' public house over to Jesus Green, there were another eight before the 'Pike and Eel' ferry was reached. The River Cam Bridges Act of l8891aid down minimum standards for future bridges and the next year the much needed road bridge to link with the AIO traffic was built. It was the iron Victoria Bridge designed by John Webster. Concern over the amount of traffic carried by the bridge eventually led to the building of the Elizabeth Way Bridge in 1971 giving a second road crossing from the north.

<<  |  <  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  11  |  12  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Terms and conditions | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2021 Publisher European library,