Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Cambuslang in old picture postcards

Author
:   Ian L. Cormack
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Lanarkshire, South
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2884-1
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Cambuslang in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. A momentous occasion at Cambuslang tram terminus as it appeared on 20 January 1907. Then excited crowds poured off the Glasgow Corporation cars to join the Lanarkshire Tramways Company trams around the corner for trips to Hamilton, Motherwell, Wishaw and Larkhall and thus bringing cheap, easy and conventent travel to such places. The fare between Cambuslang and Wishaw was 2d. (lp) return.

40. Crowds seen at the opening day of the Cambuslang extension from Blantyre of the Lanarkshire Tramways Company on 20 January 1907 - this closed on 6 October 1930 and the trams were replaced by buses. The Lanarkshire Tramways Company opened its services in the county on 22 July 1903 from Blantyre to Wishaw, with further extensions which followed over later years. The Company was known for a short time as the Hamilton, MotherweIl and Wishaw Tramways Company.

41. The Orion Bridge, named after the unfortunate ship 'Orion' which foundered and was lost off Portpatriek in 1850, was built in the 1850's by the Dunlop family, who owned the northern part of the Rosebank estate. It was used for many years to carry coa1s by rail to the Clyde Iron Works, opened in 1786, and also owned by the family. The bridge was bumt down in August 1919.

42. Clyde Bridge, which spanned the River Clyde, was at the time the only vehieular bridge between Bothwell and Dalmarnock. It was built by Lanark County Council beside the old Orion Bridge and the Memorial Stone was laid on Monday 8 August 1892 by MT. R. King Stewart of Murdostoun. Prior to its erection, fords were in daily use at Cam buslang for all kinds of traffie, which proved useless in times of flood.

43. Monkcastle Drive taken in the early years of the century and showing a group of children and a message boy, with basket on head and no doubt all attracted by the photographer. This area of housing is situated in the lower part of Cambuslang and heading towards the River Clyde.

44. A train of the Ca1edonian Railway is seen entering Cambuslang Station, from the G1asgow direction, in the 1890's, through the curve at the bridge over the road, with North Avenue to the 1eft. Construction of railways in the area began in 1845, under the auspices of the C1ydesdale Junction Railway (Ca1edonian Railway). There were objections regarding the direction of the railway from the owners of Rosebank, Morriston and Westburn estates, but these were reso1ved in favour of the owners.

45. Cambuslang Station, as seen here at the turn of the century, was a substantial building with all the various facilities and built in typical Caledonian Railway style. The section of line from Motherwell to Rutherglen through Cambuslang on the main line was opened on 1 June 1849 by the C1ydesda1e Junction Railway (Ca1edonian Railway).

46. The mechanica1 steam digger busy at work constructing the new railway from the Kirkhill direction and heading towards Burnside about 1900. Kirkhill Station opened on 6 January 1904 as part of the Lanarkshire and Ayrshire Railway (Caledonian Railway) to conneet the collieries and stee1works of Lanarkshire with the port of Ardrossan in Ayrshire.

47. The Station Master's house at Kirkhill was built for the opening of Kirkhill Station on 6 January 1904. The Station Master can be seen standing proudly outside his premises, resplendent in Caledonian Railway uniform, complete with timepiece, for regular working of the trains. The houses on Brownside Road are visible in the background.

48. The Borgie GIen originaIly eovered thirteen aeres and a memorial stone marking the weil there was ereeted in 1879. The area embraeed the historie preaehing braes of the 'Cambuslang Wark', where George Whitefield, the great preaeher, eondueted his great religious revival in 1742 when on Sunday 11 July, 20,000 gathered for the service in the natural arena there.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2018 Publisher European library,