Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   Audrey Wheelband
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Buckinghamshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2367-9
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Chalfont St. Peter in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. Beech Cottage, the side of which faced the High Street, with the front and garden overlooking the Grange Park. It dated back to 1708. Little or no alteration had taken place but, much earlier, it is believed the roof had been raised. There was a pump in the kitchen for the water supply, before piped water was laid on. This cottage backed on to the next one in the High Street, thus starting the continuity of the village houses. Mr. and Mrs. H.I. Swallow owned Beech Cottage, and their relatives before them, until about 1950. The garden was always well maintained and very colourful with flowers, fruit trees, and an excellent lawn. This practice was continued by the next owner, who also modernised the inside of the house. How sad that it has been demolished and the site now used as a car park for a supermarket.

10. The front door of Beech Cottage. The cobble stones surrounded a neat brick path, leading from the front gate to the back door and to the rear garden. By the front gate was a hornbeam or hay beech tree. This was kept shaped like a large umbrella until the last occupier left the cottage. Now the tree remains, untended.

11. The east end of the village, looking towards Aylesbury, taken about 1896. On the left is part of the old workhouse building. Pictured standing here are Mrs. and Miss Bolton. Mr. Tom Bolton was the then sexton of the Parish Church. The workhouse was not so old as most of the village property. It was built in about 1800 and used as a workhouse for a period of about eleven years only, Afterwards it was occupied by the villagers. Moving clockwise from the workhouse, the next bay window, Mr. Tomlin's house, 'The White Hart', another small shop, and here the Gold Hill Lane enters the village. A lady is pictured standing at the door of the little Post Office, in the front of the church. 'The Bakers Arms' and 'Barrack Yard' are on the left. Note the cobb1e-stoned pavement and dusty roads. Much later, they were tarred.

12. Another view of the east end of the village, after some changes had taken place. This photograph, taken about 1920, shows all of the old workhouse, now converted to shops. Note the oillamp left here. Later, when these premises were demolished and new shops built, the lamp was removed and is now on the porch of the Parish Church. Gas street lighting came later and, subsequently, electricity, The cottage to the left still remains, but the front has been altered and was used as a jeweller's shop until very recently,

13. A view of the east of the village taken about 1895 and showing the right hand side of the street. First can be seen a very small part of an old cottage with latticed windows and with shutters. Then 'The Bakers Arms'. Note the pail outside, indicating cleaning was in operation! 'The Carpenters Arms' is in the far distance, almost opposite to the church. The oid cottage in the foreground (there were two) collapsed and three cottages took their place in 1898, and these are still standing. "The Bakers Arms' was rebuilt about 1934. A much larger house is here now. The 'Barrack Yard' and 'The Carpenters Arms' have been demolished and replaced by a modern shopping centre.

14. This shows the rear of 'Barrack Yard', the actual yard which was early 15th century. In its earliest days it had been a coaching inn, 'The Cross Keys', the syrnbol of St. Peter, and most probably the staff were housed here then. The River Misbourne runs by immediately to the front of the picture. This would have been of great help in watering the coach harses as weIl as for other uses. There was a weIl here and, much later, a pump was installed. CromweIl is supposed to have had troops stationed here, hence the name. The left row of buildings backed on to 'The Bakers Arms', and those on the right to "I'he Carpenters Arms' - na back entrance to any of them. The 'Barrack Yard' housed quite a few families until it was demolished in 1938.

15. Part of the front of 'Barrack Yard' dressed overall for the marriage of Miss Grace Fass of The Grange to Major Neal, an Indian Army officer, in 1906. The coach entrance can be seen on the extreme right, where a lady stands. The Fass family employed quite a number ofparishioners on their estate and were benefactors to the needy, of which there were plenty in the village at that time. The genera! store is Mrs. Bishop's, before it was established at the bottom of Gold Hill.

16. A photograph taken standing on the junction of Gold Hili, looking towards London in almost the centre of the village, about 1928. The cobble stones have gone from the pavement now and the roads are made up. The 'Barrack Yard' is on the immediate left. Note the coach entrance, shown more clearly in this picture. Opposite is Barclays Bank's temporary premises. The old workhouse is pictured top right, further down the street.

17. The author's mother, Emma Knight, who eame to live in the village High Street, opposite Beeeh Cottage, in 1897, and lived there until 1960, where she died aged 91. This photograph was taken in about 1890 in Oxford Street, London, and reads: 'Artistie photograph at night by the eleetric light'. Note the style of dress, all hand-worked with 'leg-of-mutton' sleeves.

18. This old property, standing in the High Street a1most opposite 'Barrack Yard', was from 1904 until about 1959 the temporary premises of Barclays Bank. It then opened for two hours about three mornings a week, manned by just one bank clerk. Later, a security man was engaged. This was the only bank in the village for some years, In the late 1950s, these premises were demolished. MI. Harris's sweet shop, at one time situated next door to the Bank, had been demolished sorne years earlter. A really attractive new Bank now stands on this site. The good building and planning has given back to this corner of the village much of the charm it had lost.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2018 Publisher European library,