Chelmsford in old picture postcards

Chelmsford in old picture postcards

Author
:   Stan Jarvis
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2734-9
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2-3 weeks (subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Chelmsford in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

59. The Chelmsford Directory of 1894 shows under 37, High Street: Bamard, Daniel C & Son, cabinet makers & temperanee hotel. The inscribed stone on the gable shows it was built in 1868 on the site of the ancient and famous Black Boy Inn which had closed in 1857, a victim of the loss of trade occasioned by the coming of the railway to Chelmsford in 1845. The temperanee hotel was very much a reflection of the Victorian concern over the large number of inns and pubs in towns like Chelmsford and the attraction they were to the people who could least afford to patronise thern. Here the hotel is beginning to look rather rundown and Lennards' shoe shop occupies part of the ground floor. lt survives there today. By 1927 the place was divided between optician, dentist, costumier and the Kenmore Tutorial College.

60. The date is 3rd August, 1888. The Iron Bridge looking so solid and dependable in a previous picture (no. SS) has been entirely washed away. When the river was drained in 1962, to carry out flood rellef work, pieces of cast iron from that bridge were found embedded in the river bank many yards downstream, showing the mighty force of that flood. The photographer was standing south of the bridge in New London Road, looking towards the High Street. A rough barrier has been erected across the road on the further bank. The archway supported by two pillars, surmounted by stoneballs which now stands in the flood was the old gateway to the theatre built in the eighteenth century in the backyard of William Clachar's printing house, which fronted on to Back Street, now Tindal Street, where the local paper was printed.

61. A close-up of the far side of the River Can on that fateful day of the Great Flood. The makeshift nature of the barrier is clearly seen. The beautiful trees have long sin ce gone, ousted by the bricks and concrete of Wenley's department store. The policeman has taken up his position as the only person allowed on the river side of the barrier. On the pillar to his left can be seen an ingenious pump operating in the brick pier itself and terminating in a pipe which leads into the river. It shows where the flood has undermined the pavement. This closer view reveals that the keystone of the old theatre gateway is crowned by the representation of a dodo. The reason for this whimsical decoration is lost in history.

62. of the various establishments in the town of Chelmsford devoted to the drapery and allied branches, that of Mr. J. G. Bond, which is situated at 28, 29, 30, and 31, High Street, undoubtedly takes the lead. Few houses in the country can boast of so widespread and influential a patronage, and the high reputation eamed by Mr. Bond is ably sustained in every department. So says a business review of the eastern counties in 1890. The shop is seen here some time between 1910 and 1915. Two gentlemenassistants pose in all the splendour of the attire then demanded for public service in a high-elass draper's. Today the muchenlarged store continues as part of the Debenham empire.

HIGH STREET, CHELMSFORD

63. There are people still living in Chelmsford who remember sheep and cattle being driven through the town on the way to and from the market. The sheep are just passing the conduit which, from 1814 to 1857, stood in Tindal Square, dispensing through its spring-fed pipes the tewn's original water supply, It became obsolete, was replaced by the Tindal statue and moved to the junction of the High Street with Springfield Road, where it remained until1940. This scene can more closely be dated by the costume and the modes of transport to around 1910. The Queen's Head was then owned by the Baddow Brewery, a family affair which was in business as early as 1826, run by Richard Crabb and passed on to his son, Richard Hatley Crabb, who died childless in 1899 when the business was c1osed.

The Hosoita/, Chelmstord

64. It was on November 15th, 1883, that Lady Brooke, Countess of Warwick, formally opened the Chelmsford and Essex Hospital in London Road. This photograph was taken around 1911. The hospital comprised two wards and a dispensary in a building which looked no more than a detached Victorian house. It co st :E6,150, a lot in the money of the day, raised by a great publie effort headed by contributions from local doctors and county leaders. The origin of a hospital here has been traeed back to a dispensary set up in Duke Street in 1818 for the benefit of the poor. This photograph shows the additions opened in 1909, costing a further :t7,000. In 1982, 4,793 patients were admitted to the wards, 40,263 easualties were treated and 62,952 outpatients were dealt with.

65. A sign of the Che1msford and Essex Hospital's increasing importance to a growing community spreading far beyond the boundaries of the Borough is shown in this photograph of an extension programme nearing comp1etion. It was probably taken in 1924, for it is known that in that year Lord Lamboume opened two more wards in a new wing. All the men engaged on the work have been assem bled to make it a photograph each of them cou1d treasure as a record of his contribution to the betterment of a wonderful institution. In 1924 the Hospital also purchased its fust X-Ray equipment at a oost oLI::1,200.

66. By 1926 the Hospital was a large place, well-founded, despite depending much on voluntary contributions. It was only in a recent development of the area fronting New London Road that the collecting box set in the wall seen here was finally disposed of. By 1931 a children's ward and a men's surgical ward were opened. Then foIlowed provision for administration, for treatment of outpatients, for an eye clinic and other special needs. In 1936 the Hospital was proud to appoint its first full-time consultant. In 1983 a plan to remove the eye-clinic to Colchester was defeated by the sheer weight of loeal opinion expressed in petitions and letters to the local papers.

67. A policeman stands beside the conduit at the junction of High Street and Springfield Road, his hands clasped behind his back. He has litt1e traffic to direct in the midday sun of a spring day in 1910 or thereabouts. 1t can be seen that the Queen's Head, on the left, with 'Baddow Brewery' on the fascia, has no sign swinging from its long-extending bracket. The old Black Boy on the other side of the street has long since descended to the state of a temperanee hotel with proprietor Daniel Barnard and his son carrying on their trade as cabinet makers and upholsterers. On the blind of the shop irnmediately to the left of the Shire Hall is the legend 'J.H. Clarke, Printers'. This business, on this site, dates back to the beginning of Victoria's reign. By 1860 it was owned and run by Mrs. Clarke as a widow.

SHIRE HALL, CHELMSFORD

68. An early bus, looking very mueh like a Clarkson steam bus made loeally, swirls a eloud of smoke behind it down the High Street. On the Shire Hall the eloek eelebrating Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee of 1887 was presented by the loeal bankers, Sparrow and Co. The plaques on the Shire Hall, between the columns under the doek, were plaeed there at its building in 1791. They represent Wisdom, Justiee and Merey, the three qualities whieh must be borne in mind by Judge and Jury at the Quarter Sessions then held there. The masts eompeting in height with the Cathedral spire are the aerials ereeted at Marconi's New Street works in 1913, giving a boost to loeal employment whieh has eontinued to the present day.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2018 Publisher European library,