Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   George Pluckwell
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2531-4
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

19. The River Co1ne flows through part of Castie Park and on the other side of this bridge, called Middleborough (after the old Cattle Market), there is a public footpath into the Park. The lath and plaster Tudor cottage in the picture was a riverside Café of character for a nurnber of years. It was called the 'Copper Kettle' and had a giant kettle sign hanging outside which was most unusual. This building still survives and the Victorian bridge was altered in 1903 to make it wider for the new Borough trams which routed the Town in 1904 (1910).

20. Castle Park is a good recreational place and not a stones-throw away from the busy traffic filled High Street. The Park which extends from the Castle and sweeps down to the River Colne and beyond. Between the Monument to the shot or executed Royalist officers and the massive Castie is a shady avenue of trees known as The Mayors Walk. Due from the circumstance that the trees were planted in 1892 by the Lord Mayor of London and Mayors of Co1chester, Ipswich and Harwich and seven other towns (1905).

Castte Park. Celebester.

21. A 1903 postcard of Castle Park overlooking the River Colne. Behind the Castle is the ramp arts and near the ornate Bandstand (which it still there), they did some excavations in 1920. Amazingly they discovered the remains of a whole street of Roman houses. Boudicca was thought to have burnt them down in her Great Revolt, because they discovered charred remains in the the ruins.

22. The Edwardians were very fond of open air pageants and had a Colchester one nearly every year from 1904. Adults and children enjoyed dressing up and reacting their glorious local past. In this scene the Roman soldiers seem to be attacking the white clad figures in the background of Castle Park. Perhaps they were the ancient Britains (1909).

~

Colchester Pageant ",:,.

Osvth and h r N'JfIS with Priest ~.

23. This is the panorama of Saint Osyth and her Nuns, dated 1904. Saint Osyth is a loca1 Essex figure and her tale is a very strange one to relate. The raiding Danes cut off her head and she walked carrying it to the Church of Chick where her martyrdom was miraculously marked for all time by the sudden appearance of a spring of clear water. Which can still be seen in the north-west corner of Saint Osyth's Priory grounds in a section known as the Nuns Wood.

??

24. This postcard has an unusual story to recount. It was bought in Colchester by an English person who journeyed to Brussels in Belgium, and then sent or posted to someone, probably a friend or relation, in Rowhedge, two miles from Colchester. It shows a nice view of the lake in Castle Park with typical English swans (1910).

25. Colchester's Cast1e Park has always encouraged the sporting side of life and this charming study of the Cricket Pavillon, taken in 1911, proves that point. In the Town Guide of that period it states Colchester and East Essex Cricket Club have a good ground in Castie Park which is visited by the County Club during the annual Cricket week. Tennis was also played in the courts there.

26. The lower Castle Park was open to the public in 1893 and the lake on the 1eft was then still unfinished. Midd1e Mill is shown on the extreme 1eft behind the trees by the River Co1ne which twists through the Park. Military Bands played fortnight1y for the entertainment of the townsfolk for many years (1903).

27. This unique view of High Street was taken in 1899 when Queen Victoria still sat on the throne. We are looking in the eastern direction towards East Hill. 1t is a fine picture of Saint Nicholas' Church which then dominated the Townscape for the Town Hall was still being built. The high building on the front right hand side is the venerable Tudor Red Lion Hotel. This was another old coaching inn like the George and is still very much open for business today. Note the beams have been plastered over on the frontage. They were exposed again at a later date. The shops next-door but one are now a big modern Woolworth's Superstore. The cobble stones in the foreground of the picture mark the spot called Middle Row. Where Saint Runwald's Church and tiny shop stood out almost in the middle of the High Street. All was cleared away by 1878.

28. Colchester High Street in 1913, looking towards the Head Street and North Hili junction, The white building behind the gas lamp-post on the right is Mann's Music Shop and near-by is the tall strueture of the Lamb Hotel, foUowed by the Hippodrome Theatre and the Town Hall. While on the left, by the earriage, is the historie Red Lion Hotel. The tramlines denote the era of the Borough eleetrie trams that routed the Town until 1929. Covering East Gates, Hythe, Lexden, and North Station. Also Reereation grounds.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,