Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   George Pluckwell
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2531-4
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

39. Saint Botolph's Street is really a continuation of Queen Street as it progresses down to the crossroads or present day roundabout at Saint Botolph's Corner. The ancient monument of Saint Botolph's Priory Church lays in its own grounds behind the busy street. Spoken as the most important ecclesiastical remains in Town. It is even today impressive in its decay. This view of its twelfth century brickwork displays two doorways, seen at the western front, both beautifully moulded. The Priory to which the Church was attached was probably the earliest Augustinian establishment in England. It survived the terrible Dissolution of King Henry VIII because it was also used as a parish Church (1909).

The Priory. Colchester.

40. However like the Music Hall Song of the Edwardian period, in the Civil War it became 'One Of The Ruins That Cromwell Knocked About A Bit'. Being situated just outside the Town Walls and Saint Botolph's Gate, it was sadly used as a target by both Royalists and Roundheads. Norden, the historian, quaintly spelt it as 'Saint Buttulfes in Buttulfe Street'. The huge Norman pillars and grass carpeted Nave are very interesting and cared for by Her Majesties Office Of Works. They stand like glories to the past and are on view to the public at all times (1928).

41. Saint Botolph's Street in 1907. We are looking down the street towards Saint Botolph's Corner and the Mersea Road. The electric tram on the right is going to North Station. Singer's Sewing Machine Shop is on the immediate left, followed by Smiths the Chemists. With its huge pharrnaceutical bottles and jars displayed in the shop window. They appeared to be full of coloured water with pharmacy emblems crested in gold. Next to Smiths is Luckings Edwardian Drapery Store, an impressive building of many floors, lt had a Lampson compressed air machine that carried customers money in tubes to the high antiquated cash desk, in containers like rockets to the moon. All these premises have now changed hands and only the buildings are left to remind one of there previous use.

42. Saint Botolph's Corner has changed most of all in the last decade. Gone is the Colchester Meat Company Shop on the right and the other shops which included the ancient Plough Inn on the right hand corner. Today a giant roundabout and pedestrian subways link up with the new Southway Bypass on the outskirts of Town (1907).

eolchester, Abbey Gateway,

43. Saint John's Abbey Gatehouse, circa 1906, with the great gates closed. Situated in Saint John's Green near the new modern Southway Bypass which has claimed some of the previous Abbey grounds, and not far from Saint Botolph's, the Gatehouse dates from 1415 and provides an excellent example of flint-panelling. The Eudo Dapifer Governor of Colchester in Norman times founded the Abbey and was buried there. In the twelfth century it became a fine Benedictine establishment where its Abbot wore a mitre and sat in Parliament. At the Dissolution Henry VIII's officers hanged the Abbot John Beche because he refused to hand over the keys of this rich and wealthy Religious House. It was sold or leased to Sir Thomas Darcy (a local man).

S.8063

ST . .JOH N'S ABBEY GATE. COLCHESTER

44. Saint John's Abbey Gatehouse in 1928 with the impressive gates open. After the Dissolution the Abbey had various owners and eame into the hands of the loeal Lucas family. All Royalists, who built a fine mansion there using some of the abbey material. During the Great Siege the house was wreeked eompletely by the Roundheads and in the Gateway high on the vaulted eeiling ean be seen the mark made by a eannon ball in that Civil War. After the terrible Siege the Cavalier Sir Charles Lucas was shot by the Parliamentarians. The site of the Abbey is now oeeupied by the Military and there is an Officers Club in the spacious grounds.

45. Scheregate Steps 1909. These are sited in the Saint John's Street area of Town and thought to be a postern gate opening through the South Roman Wall of Colchester. I recollect little Freddie, a small dwarf man and proper character, selling his winklesand shrimps from the top of Scheregate Steps. In a large wieker-werk basket, nearly as big as himself. This rather Dutch style place is still very much tastefully preserved.

Scheregate, Colchester

46. In this delightful wider view of Scheregate a proper artists delight. Taken from the Saint John's Street angle. We can behold the gas lamp-post in the foreground. Gas street lighting arrived in Colchester in 1819. The Steps have always been a useful short cut into EId Lane, Trinity Street and the Town Centre. Today Scheregate is much more commercialised with a variety of shops. Not far away the new Sou thway bypass cuts through the Abbeygate Saint John's district. And other signs of recent redevelopment inc1ude a tremendous Tescos Supermarket (1908).

47. Head Street like the High Street runs straight in true Roman style within the stout Town Walls. In this scene we are near the North Hili junction glancing down towards the Headgate and crossroads of Saint John, Crouch Street and the Headgate. On the left, just behind the tramwire support pole, is the Fleece Hotel. There is also an entrance to it in Culver Street which is in the foreground left. On the right is Church Street which leads to Saint Mary's. The gabled shop on the corner with the decorative barge boarding dates from 1689 although parts could be much older. Today this is Thorgood's Cakeshop and Restaurant. The high building further along is Colchester Main Victorian Post Office, which has been enlarged quite a few times. In 1897 two houses, a stable and other buildings were demolished to increase its size. Also an entrance was allowed in Church Street for the busy mail carts (1907).

48. The proclamation of the Accession of King George V in 1911 was announced from the Headgate in Head Street. In this scene nearly everyone appears to have turned out to hear the joyful news. From Mayor and Corporation to humbie Town policeman. Gill and Son, the high c1ass Photographers on the left, have their front shop blinds respectfully drawn. King George V visited Colchester twice during the Great War to inspeet the East Coast defences,

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,