Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

:   George Pluckwell
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2531-4
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Lexden Church, Col chester.

49. Lexden Church 1910. Lexden was a parish village two miles from Colchester and is now a ward or suburb within the Borough. The Church of Saint Leonard is described as a plain stuccoed building, built in 1820-1821. A new chancel was erected in 1894. I think the Georgian Church has rather a charm of its own with ivy clad walls and unusual cone shaped spire. A considerable amount of earthworks have been discovered at Lexden and not far from the Church is a huge hollow in a wooded area known Lexden Springs. This is referred to as 'King Cole's Kitchen'. But many disbelievers scoff at the mere notion of any culinary operations having ever been carried out on that spot. They say the 'Kitchen' was a Roman Amphitheatre or a gravel pit.

Lexden Road, Colchester.

50. Lexden Road as seen from the Colchester direction going towards the Lexden Church. In the Victorian era Lexden Road became a fashionable promenade for the ladies and gentlemen of the Town. Although they had a Cattle Plague in Lexden village parish in 1866. By 1905, the date of this postcard, the tree lined road was fuil of select houses and mansions and Lexden was fast becoming a residential suburb of Colchester.

51. In this postcard of Lexden, taken from the Colchester side of Lexden Road, there are many historical buildings. The cluster of red roofed houses and cottages on the Ieft are very old, some dating from Tudor and Georgian periods. The one with the wide bay windows is the oid ancient Sun Inn. That was there when Lexden was just a pretty village with a 'Blacksmiths Shop'. It has a wealth of oak studs and beams, gieaming brasses and is still a thriving concern. Circa 1910.

52. A closer view of Lexen Road sometimes called Street. For centuries it has joined up with the London Road. Lexden had a village atmosphere then, as shown here, and the road appears to be partly mud. One can see a section of Saint Leenard's Churchyard wall on the left and one has a good view of the venerable Sun Inn complete with old inn signpost. The Iron Aged fortress city of Cumulodunum covered Lexden and other areas stretching for 12 square miles. Ruled over by Prince Cunobelin, it was the capital of England. Cunobelin had beautiful palaces there and coins minted when other tribes were roaming about in warpaint acting very primitively (1909).

The Bridge. Colchester

53. The Edwardians loved seeing trams photographed in the middle ofbridges. It must have been the fashion then for I have discovered many postcards of trams on Colchester's North Bridge. This bridge, erected in Victorian times, was known by the local people as Middleborough because it was near the huge Catt1e Market down North Hili. This tram-car appears nearly empty and is advertising Joslins, the local High Street Hardware and Ironmongery Store (1910).

54. In this view of a rather full up or crowded tram crossing the shallow River Colne we can observe boys fishing on the riverbank. Perhaps these passengers were going or had been to that livestock and deadstock market. The trams ran until1929 and by then a fleet of buses made these c1anking monsters obsolete. They were put on the scrapheap and became backgarden sheds and even caravans (1910).

SS. In this 1890 scene of a section showing some of Middleborough Cattie Market we can cbserve that it was a busy place, Also one can make out the wooden cattle pens filled with sheep and other animals. One could smell the Cattle Market from the top of North Hili on Market Day which was Saturday, A poignant fragrance of beasts from the farmyards being bartered and sold mixed with the aroma of straw or hay. Later the farmers, drovers and buyers entered the New Tavern Public House in the Middleborough Market Place for a well earned pint. Sadly the Tudor tavern (not shown here) was pulled down when the Cattle Market was moved from its traditional site in 1975. Today it is situated up the Severalls Lane area of Colchester in a spanking new building complex away from the town it knew for centuries. Only the name Middleborough is left outside a new Insurance Office Block, but the Marbie and Stone drinking fountain has been saved and stands for all to behold the last reminder of that famous Cattle Market.

56. In this unusual view, taken from Middleborough Bridge, we are looking down North Station Road. The tram journeying to the North Railway Station wilI turn round at the Tramway terminus and return to Town via North Hili. The Railway came to Colchester in the 1840's. The Tudor cottage on the left, already mentioned, was at one period a Newsagents Shop and later the 'Copper Kettle Café'. It is now a cafe and boarding house. Those buildings on the right have all disappeared and a new parade of shops fill there former place including an Income Tax Office (1920).

57. On the righthand side of Middleborough's iron bridge, first constructed in 1843, there is a pleasant River Colne walk or footpath going near Middle Mill into Castie Park. This was much favoured by the Edwardians who often promenaded there. Things have now altered over the passing years and on the other side of the River there is a complex of modern office buildings which include a block of offices belonging to the Telecom Limited and the Post Office (1907).

58. Colchester had its share of eccentric characters and the 'Silly Hannahs' became famous in the Town. Often celebrated on picture postcards, these strange figures were sisters, born in 1837. Sometimes also called the 'Two Annahs', they were often seen along the Lexden Road until the turn of the century. One said she was an Indian Princess and the other acted as her maid in waiting and would always walk a few yards behind her sister. They dwelt in Stanwell Street in their earlier lives where they made and sold baskets. But by 1900 they were living on local charity. Eventually one sister died and the remaining one entered the Colchester Werkhouse (1902).

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,