Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

:   George Pluckwell
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2531-4
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

59. Jumbo the water-tower stands high on Balkerne Hill, and from ground level to roof apex beyond the tank its height is 131 feet and 5 inches. Jumbo was born or created between 1882 and 1884 at a cost which exceeded f:1O,000. Nicknamed Jumbo after London Zoos most famous elephant, which was going to America amist national protests for Jumbo had just been sold to Barnums, the American circus proprietor. Jumbo, although not beautiful, is very useful and serves as a balancing reservoir for the Towns early morning water demand. It was the second largest water-tower in England. It had just celebrated its first 100 years and has been listed as a special building of architectural and historie interest (1899).

60. In this Balkerne Lane scene we are glancing down from the Crouch Street direction. The gas lamp on the right is fixed to the rear end of the Horse and Groom Inn, All these buildings have vanished in the last few years. There has been great redevelopment in this area and they even scooped out twenty feet of Balkerne Hili to make the new bypass complete with flyover bridge (I92S).

61. Near by the Balkerne Hili Bypass in Church Street is Saint Mary's Church. Known as Saint Mary-at-the-Wall, because there are steps leading to it through a gap in the fine Roman and Norman Town Walls. During the Siege of 1648 it was nearly demolished and alrnost entirely rebuilt in 1714, with exception of the lower part of the tower (fJfteenth century). It was again restored in 1871. During the Great Siege all horses and bridles were brought to Saint Mary's. John Constabie considered the tower worthy of his brush and Philip Morant, local historian of Essex, was sometirne vicar here. Church Street North leads to Head Street near the General Post Office. Saint Mary's has recent1y been transforrned into a useful Arts Centre for the cu1turallife of the Town and district (1908).

62. The Balkerne Gateway was the ancient western Roman gateway of Colchester. An inn called 'The Hole In The Wall' now stands upon the site of the northern section of this historical gateway (though its foundations have been thrown open to view). Nothing remains of the big arch which spanned the Roadway, but there remains on the southern side the 'Needle's Eye', used by pedestrians, and the guard-room where Roman sentries dozed in the interva1s of outside duty. This little fascinating passage in Balkerne Lane almost beneath Jumbo, the lofty water-tower's eye or trunk, has recently been opened up so that local Colchestrians and tourists can stroll through the Roman Archway and ponder on the power of Imperial Rome. The whole Balkerne Hili area has been much redeveloped and changed with giant multi-storey car parks and the Balkerne Hili Bypass (1930).

63. Crouch Street from the Town end in the Lexden Road direction. The shop near the pony and trap and tramwire support pole on the right is the weil established Chemist business of Nunn and Sherry. Very weil known in Colchester from about the turn of the century. It was started by William Nunn, a local Councilior. Crouch Street lias been cut in half by the new Balkerne Hili Bypass, but still links up with the Lexden Road and eventually the old London Road by going through the Southway. It still has a variety of charming old houses and shops. Like Guntons, which dates back to the Edwardian period and is truly the last old fashion family grocers left in Town. Giving personal specialists service, home cooked hams and a fine selection of quality blended teas and fresh ground coffee (1907).

64. Crouch Street in 1906 from the Colchester end of Town showing the section which has been made into a cul-de-sac by the new Balkerne Hili Bypass. The fine Victorian villas on the right have been sacrificed for the bypass. The Essex County Hospital is in the middle distance and the telegraph pole in the background right stands for the communication service of those Edwardian days.

65. Every year about late September time the Mayor, Corporation and sorne special guests visit the Pyef1eet Channel at Mersea Island, a few miles from Colchester. There they sample the oysters accompanied by the traditional gingerbread and gin. This ceremony is a test occasion for the later historical Oyster Feast which takes place in the Town Hall or Castle. In 1930 three million oysters were sold yielding over t26,000. This industry was managed by the Colne Fishery Board and the Colchester Town Council receive a quarter of all profits from the Fishery Board. Today there has been a sad decline in the Oyster trade, but things are improving (1930).

66. Shrub End was a village in Edwardian times and this pretty snow covered scene appears to have all the festive flavour of a Chrlstmas card. All Saint's Victorian Church on the Ieft was built in 1845 and is still in business or use. The Inn sign on the far right is for the Leather Bottle Inn of Tudor origin, which lays further back from view and is still open for trade in this present age, Shrub End, like Lexden, Berechurch, Greenstead and the Hythe and Old Heath, has become suburb of Colchester. A bright star around the big moon of growing Colchester. That is often the fate of pretty villages situated close to spreading towns (1907).

67. Shrub End in 1930 was becoming a busy suburb of Colchester. A p1ace of smart detached houses and bungalows as this picture depicts. Today it is fuil of private and Council housing estates and seems very much part of Colchester (1930).

68. Gosbecks Road, Shrub End is not far from All Saint's Church in the Shrub End Road. In this 1930 view we have the picturesque duck pond scene. Gosbecks Road is a very historical Roman site and at Olivers Orchard in 1983, MI. B. Wade, an Orchard worker, discovered Colchester's largest hoard of Roman coins, He was ploughing a field and found 4,041 bronze content Roman co ins in a clay pot, dating from 253-278 A.D. They had laid in the field for 1,700 years undisturbed. Excavations imply that the site had a Roman temple and theatre. They are now awaiting the Treasure Trove inquest on that marvellous discovery (1930).

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2020 Publisher European library,