Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

:   George Pluckwell
:   Essex
:   United Kingdom
:   978-90-288-2531-4
:   112
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Canterbury Road School. Celchester.


69. Colchester has a variety of schools. Like Canterbury Road School, many were built at the turn of the century to cater for the growing population. This typical Edwardian building of brick with a red tiled roof, capped by the little bell tower the Edwardians were so fond of incorporating into their seats of learning. The Canterbury Road area is about one mile from Town and full of terraeed houses of that same period. It was the new suburb in those days. The school is still teaching the three R's today and the outside complete with railings appears unaltered (1900).

70. Hythe Quay circa 1907 was described in alocal guide as 'The Colchester Doekland by the River Colne', I suppose that description was true as The Hythe is located right of the rnain Road to Clacton and the East Coast at the foot of the fairly steep East Hill. Colchester's River Colne has always been used for trade and the Romans had a busy port near here called The Old Hythe, After their long occupation it somehow declined and the New Hythe Port was formed and is still in the position. Hythe signifies 'Haven' and in the fifteenth century there was a thriving Fish Market here, Those barges with furled sails would transport wool, grain, coal and even straw or hay, The Common Market has made the East Coast Ports flourishing and Colchester's Hythe is no exception. The Hythe is also known for Davey Paxman and Company, who established the Standard Ironworks in 1876 making boilers. This engineering concern still employs many local Colchestrians.

71. The Hythe was once a village with its own church of Saint Leonard's. The historica! square tower can be viewed on the right next to the venerable Tudor cottage which still graces the district. The church dates from the fourteenth century and like the other churches in Colchester suffered much in the Siege. lt was also damaged by the earthquake of 1884, but restored again in 1898. Saint Leonard's has just closed after 500 years of service to the local community and they are not sure whether or not to offer the building to the Redundant Churches Fund, who could preserve this ancient structure. This decision could take three years (1915).


72. The Hythe, as mentioned, was once a village and now forms part of the Borough of Colchester, where it is the chief River Colneside Port. In 1907 the number of vessels registered as belonging to the port was 226. The number of boats and foreign sailing and steam vessels that entered the port that year was 96. There are still many eighteenth century buildings left on the Quay including the Brewery Daniell and Sons, who sold out to Trumans in 1958 (1900).

73. England was at war with Germany in 1914 and Colchester did her bit for the Great War effort. A series of postcards were printed called 'Doing Dur Duty'. This one depiets a view of the Military Hospital in Circu1ar Road and troops having target practice on the local Middlewick Rille Range. They probably hoped these cards would lift the public morale and show that England was working hard for Victory. In 1917 Colchester had its Great Zeppelin Raid, trams were held up for five hours one evening and bombs fell around the Town. There was an armada of eleven Zeppelins. Some were brought down at nearby places like Old Heath (suburb) and surrounding districts like Tiptree and Wigborough (1914).

74. My unc1e Albert from North Londonjoined up in the army. He belonged to a Regiment called the Buff's and was stationed at Colchester for aperiod during the war befare embarking for Flanders. He was one of the lucky soldiers who eventually returned home after four years of conflict in 1918 and married his sweetheart my aunt Ruth. They lived happily ever after. The soldiers lot was fairly hard in the Great War. They had numerous brass buttons and badges to clean in those days, When you signed up they called it 'Taking the Kings Shilling' (1915).

75. During the Great War Colchester had its own Borough Social Club for the troops. Opening in 1914, it was held in the old Public Hall premises in the High Street, This had been the previous Essex and Suffolk Insurance Office, situated near the High Street and North Hili Junction. Wounded troops were entertained at this Social Club with the fine Greek colonnaded appearance. And it provided a place in the centre of Town where soldiers training in the district could spend a pleasant evening. Facilities were provided for writing, reading, games (billiards), chess, draughts etc. Light refreshments, cigarettes, stamps and postal orders were supplied for sale. The Club was free to all men in His Majesty's Forces and stayed open throughout the war (1917).

76. Interior of a Dickinson Hut at the local Essex County General Hospital in Crouch Street. This hospital received wounded soldiers from 1915 and this early pre-fabricated building was named after Mrs. Dickinson, the Hospital commandant, who was later presented with an award 'Member of The British Empire' for her untiring efforts. This type of hut with a centre tortoise stack pipe stove and cast iron beds enabled the hospital to have 250 beds available for the wounded soldiers (1916).

77. Armistice Day the 11th of November 1918. The Mayor, Mr. G. Wright, had only been in office for a few months and now he was standing on the Town Hall balcony with some councillors breaking the joyful news of the Signing of The Armistice. Note the background banner 'Feed The Guns' which was probably asking people to buy War Bonds which would not be needed now as we had made peace with Germany. The crowd must have cheered enthusiastically at this final cessation of hostilities and most appeared to be wearing hats or caps so fashionable in those days, History was being made on that occasion.

78. The Great War Victory Celebrations took place on Sunday the 6th of July 1919. The Mayor, MI. Wright, made a speech fr om the Town Hall steps in the crowd filled High Street. There was a march through the Town by the Military and Civilian population. Later a Thanksgiving Service was held in Castle Park which the Mayor and Corporation attended in state. Seen here Mr. Wright outside the Town Hall making his Victory speech (1919).

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2020 Publisher European library,