Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1

Author
:   George Pluckwell
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Essex
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-2531-4
Pages
:   112
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Colchester in old picture postcards volume 1'

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

79. Colchester War Memorial cost over ┬▒:3,OOO to build. It was designed by the sculptor Mr. H.C. Fehr, who had previously done a bust of Victorian Prime Minister Gladstone (of whom Queen Victoria said 'He treats me like a public meeting'). The Statue of Victory in bronze stands 11 feet high. Some shops, cottages and Watts Stoneyard at the eastern end of the High Street were pulled down to make space for the 1914-1918 War Monument and Cowdray memorial gates. They opened up the Castle Park Grounds giving a marvelleus view from the High Street angle. Behind the Memorial are the beautiful Cowdray wrought iron gates designed by architect Mr. Duncan Clark, The side gates bear the Crest of the Portreeve of Colchester, while the large middle ones display the arms of the generous Cowdray family. This monument has become a familiar landmark to all (1927).

80. Colchester Was. Memorial and the Cowdray Gates seen from the Rose Gardens in Castle Park, Watt's Stoneyard, some cottages and shops were demolished in line with this eastern end of the High Street. Although Watt's moved to new premises in Queen Street, which cau just be glimpsed through the Memorial Gates (1934).

? High Streef, Colenester.

81. The High Street shops and inns deserve a special mention. In this busy Edwardian townscape part of the George Hotel can be observed on the near right. Up until1846 George Samsons Star Stage Coach left the George for Ipswich in Suffolk sharp at 9 o'clock. Further along, by the !arge projecting lamp, is Mann's Music Shop advertising pianos. It is still selling musical instruments from the same premises. The high building a few doors away by the red tram is the Lamb Hotel, later called The Bay and Say. In 1910, when this postcard was made, there was a fleet of eighteen trams on various routes in the town,

82. By 1934 buses were operating all the previous tram routes. One can just be seen on the far right outside the Lamb Hotel. The first bus bought by Colchester Corporation Transport was a single decker 4 Dennis G.S. petrol engine with twenty seats. It was purchased in 1928. On the near right is the George Hotel while on the left is Burstons, the Grocers, and the very well known High Street store of Liptons. Once there was a Lipt-ons in nearly every High Street in England. Now ours has disappeared from the Town, but not from Essex for there is a branch at Clacton-on-Sea on the East Coast. There is a Royal Appointment Sign over this Colchester shop. Sir Thomas Lipton, the Victorian founder of these chain stores, was a yachting friend of King Edward VII. He also employed local Essex men to crew on his racing yachts all named Shamrock. For over fifty years Sir Tommy endevoured to win for England the America's Cup, but he never fulfilled this ambition (in 1983 the cup was won at last by the Australians).

83. In 1925 Sainsbury had its Grocery and Provision Store next to the Red Lion Hotel, as shown in the right hand foreground. A place of marble topped counters, brass scales and hand patted butter. Sainsbury's has in the last decade moved into a modern self service supermarket in The Kingsway Shopping Precinct near Queen Street. lt also has a new super market outside of Town by the London Road at Lexden. Nextdoor to Saïnsbury's is Kendalls, the rainwear and umbrella sellers or stockists, incorporated into the ancient Tudor Red Lion Hotel building. Saint Nicholas' Church makes a good background to this picture. It was restored in 1875/76 by Sir Gilbert Scott and the graceful spire added. He also designed the famous London Albert Memorial near the Albert Hall (1925).

High Street, Colchester

84. In this 1920 view of the High Street looking north we have the Red Lion Hotel on the near left with its centre inner court yard once used by the stage coaches. The Oyster fishermen would nail up their 'Fish For Sale' notices on the rear Red Lion gateway doors. On the right, behind the ancient steam lorry or waggon, is the Hippodrome Variety Theatre, sometimes called the Grand. This Theatre has for a number of years been a Town Bingo Hall. It has also been a cinema in its varied existence.

85. Colchester Carnival going through the High Street in 1927. This has always been a favourite year1y event and in 1927 !1,660 was raised and given to Colehester's Essex County Hospital. There appears to be some Ancient Britons here and Chinese Coolies. The Carnival is still held eaeh year and loeal firms and shops put on a eolourful display of floats raising more funds for eharity (1927).

Tewn Hall. Colchester

86. In this portrait of the Town Hall, taken in 1917, we can see the handsome red brick 'Cup's Hotel adjoining the High Street Town Hall. The Cup's had an elegant rear Assembly Room dating from 1795. In 1801 Lord Nelson of Trafalgar reknown called there for refreshments on his journey through Colchester. And in November that year the exiled King of France, Louis XVIII, with attendants gathered in the splendid 'New Room' open for reception of Royal guests. By 1819 it was classed as one of the finest inns of England.

87. In this rnajestic study of the Town Hall we can observe part of the opulent Cup's Hotel on the left. The Assembly Room and Minstrels Gallery were demolished in 1965 and the whole hotel was eventually pulled down in 1972. A modern four storey block of shops and offices now takes up its former position. At the moment the old Cup's Hotel sign of three golden cups swings majestically outside the new Cup's Inn down Trinity Street, not a stones throw away from the High Street (1904).

eHR 204

THE RED L10N HOTEL.

A TUCK CARD

88. This postcard of 1936 could be entitled 'Marker Day' in the High Street outside the Red Lion Hotel. Kendall and Sons Limited are advertising 'Sunshades and Umbrellas' over their shop window on the right while next-door J. Sainsbury has a Royal Appointment sign over his store. Sainsbury's have now moved to the Kingsway, as previously mentioned, and a big Marks and Spencer Superstore stands on their old site. The Red Lion still has its centre archway and court yard with fascinating timber studs and fine sixteenth century carved panels. Now you walk through the archway into a modern shopping complex. The Market has returned to the High Street after many years.

<<  |  <  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  9  |  10  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,