Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Author
:   Paul Welsh
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Hertfordshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3013-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

9. An early postcard of what is today the very busy London Road on EIstree Hili South. The properties on the right have since been demolished. The idea of a by-pass to avoid the traffic congestion common in EIstree VilIage has been discussed for many years but funds never seem to be available.

10. During the early part of this century very few shops existed in Shenley Road. One of those that did exist was H. Starck, tobacconist and confectioner. The licence for the sale of tobacco was held by Hannah Starck. The shop still exists today, opposite the junction with Furzehill Road and is now better known to the loeals as Hansons, the name of the present owners. It sells similar types of items and has a popular café situated at the rear of the premises.

11. The entrance to Elstree and Boreham Wood Railway Station shown in a postcard of circa 1905. The entrance on the right is for access to the nearby Brickfields. The central building was the pareels and booking office dating from the 1860's and sadly demolished in the 1980's. The building on the left is the oid station rnaster's house and survives today although now privately owned. The station's present entrance is on the other side of the tracks.

12. Another view of Allum Lane taken in the 1920's. At the top left hand of the photograph stands Nicholl Farm and halfway down on the right is the entrance to Radnor Hall, which has since been demolished and replaced by arefuge disposal dump. If you stood on the same spot today the view has remained almost unchanged. This is partly due to the fact that some of the land is still farmed and it is all protected by a Government 'Green Belt' policy which restricts building on countryside surrounding London.

13. Deacons Hili Road soon after house building got underway. Sign boards in the fields on the right hand side indicate plots of land for sale. Today some of the most expensive properties in the parish are situated in this and the surrounding roads. At the bottom of Deacons Hili Road, before it joins Allum Lane, the road bends sharply. This is due to the fact that when constructed in 1881 the road needed to avoid a large house and a pond situated near the Allum Lane junction.

14. A very early turn-of-the-century postcard of Boreham Wood Village, which comprised of various shops and houses situated on each side of Theobald Street. The shop in the left hand foreground is E. Staples, a builder's merchants. The total population of Elstree Parish in 1901 only amounted to 1,323 people. Besides the Theobald Street buildings, houses had begun to appear in Drayton Road, Furzehill Road and Shenley Road but Boreham Wood still mainly consisted of farm-land.

15. The Water Splash is situated in Theobald Street, whieh conneets the parish with Radlett. Boreham Wood lies in a small valley and several streams onee cut aeross various parts of the area. The Water Splash is where a stream erossed Theobald Street and on a dark night often proved a hazard for the unknowing cvelist. Today the improved road makes this onetime landmark almost unnotieable to the modern motorist.

16. A photograph of EIstree High Street crossroads taken by a loeal resident in the winter of 1927. The building just visible on the far left is the Farmer's Boy public house whieh was demolished in the 1960's during a raad widening scheme. The people in the foreground are walking past the old EIstree Stores, now demolished. A similar fate awaited the Red Lion public house just visible on the right. The building dated from the seventeenth century and was pulled down in 1936. About the same time a new Red Lion opened in Shenley Raad. Situated opposite the film studlos it has naturally attracted sorne famous faces over the past six decades.

I,

17. This postcard shows a very early view of Shenley Road in Boreharn Wood. It bears the date of 3rd April 1904 written by the sender. On the left behind the trees stood Glenhaven House which was purchased by the General Post Office in October 1931 and subsequently demolished.

18. All Saints Church, Shen1ey Road minus its present day clock tower. It was decided to build the church in 1899 and by 1900 the chance1 had been constructed. A few years later the nave was built using red brick, Doulton stone facings and Co1umbia pine for the roof. A burial ground, behind the church, was consecrated in 1909. The church itself was consecrated by the Bishop of St. Albans in December 1910. A large vicarage was also built. A MI. and Mrs. Wellington played a large part in the creation of All Saints. Wellington was a partner in Wellington & Wards, the first major factory in Boreharn Wood which opened in 1894.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,