Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Author
:   Paul Welsh
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Hertfordshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3013-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Elstree School.

/

19. EIstree public school on EIstree Hill South photographed in 1903. The building was constructed in 1779 and was used as a preparatory school for at least one hundred years up until the Second World War. A chapel was built in the field opposite in 1877 and was linked to the school by an underground passage. The chapel was demolished in 1956 and the field is now occupied by a housing estate. The school itse1f is now owned by a public authority and is used as a residential home for mentally handicapped patients.

20. The EIstree Telegraph and Post Office shown in an undated photograph. Today the main post office for the parish is situated in Shenley Road. It stands on the site of a large private house called Glenhaven, the name of which is remembered in the name of an adjoining road. The present post office was built in 1934 and modernised in 1962.

heul ey Road, Bereham Wood.

21. On the right hand side of this photograph showing Shen1ey Road stands Station Parade. The shops included a bakery, Bentiey's Post Office and Newsagents and Groom's, the gentleman's clothes shop. Just past these shops a brook, running down from Elstree, entered a culvert and disappeared under the road.

22. An early interior photograph of Saint Nichelas Church, Elstree. Additions to the church were undertaken in 1880 and 1897. Charles Dickens, the celebrated author, is said to have visited here and the farnous Victorian explorer Sir Richard Burton, born in 1821, was baptized in the fiftcenth century font.

23. A row of about twenty terraeed houses, built in the early Edwardian period, occupied a large stretch of Shenley Road from the Central Garage area to Clarendon Road. These houses, typical of their period, survived until the early 1960's and were replaced by a shopping development.

24. This photograph was taken on 29th December 1927 by a local resident. The farm labourers' cottages in the background were of wooden construction and have long sin ce been demolished. The two men are standing at the entrance to a track which led to two farms. The first was Cranes Farm and a public house now stands where the farm house used to beo The farmland is now occupied by a housing estate and this part of the track was made up into a road called Cranes Way. The track then led to Bullbaiters Farm which was owned by the Earl of Strafford. He later sold several hundred acres of Boreham Wood to John Laing Construction Ltd., who intended to build a large garden estate but which was never completed.

25. Abbotsbury, shown in a postcard from the early 1900's, is one of severallarge houses sited in Barnet Lane. A small film colony developed in this part of Barnet Lane during the 1950's and 1960's. It included film director Stanley Kubriek who has made several movies at EIstree including '2001', 'The Shining' and 'Lolita'. Other short term residents included Sophia Loren, who was robbed of her jewel collection whilst staying here, and Joan Collins with then husband Anthony Newley who planned to reside in Barnet Lane before moving to Hollywood.

26. Furzehill Road taken from the junction with Shenley Road in Boreham Wood. The houses on the left still remain although most of the trees in the photograph have now gone. The plaque on the house in the foreground reads W.T. and E.C. Briers who were local building contractors.

27. The change in Boreham Wood since the 1920's is weil shown by this early photograph of Cowley Hill leading to Green Street. In those days this area illustrated was open countryside cut through by a single track unlit road. Today, the land on the left hand side of this picture is covered by a large housing estate. On the immediate right are now a sports hall and one ofthe tewn's two senior schools, Nicholas Hawksmoor. It is named after a famous architect buried in the nearby Shenley churchyard.

.t~

~ir

'p.

'()od<&. ~ _

-

28. The Duteh Oven in Shenley Road was a famous landmark for loeal residents. The word Freestone on the front of the building refers to the name of a well-known family of local bakers. The building today remains a1most unehanged exeept that the front buildings are now oeeupied by an estate agent and a clothes shop. The restaurant eontinues to operate and the clientele nowadays includes many famous faces from Harrison Ford to Sophia Loren. It is situated within one hundred yards of the Thorn-EMI EIstree Studios and the BBC EIstree Television Centre.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,