Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Author
:   Paul Welsh
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Hertfordshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3013-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

29. A postcard view of Shenley Road. The houses on the right were demolished between 1961 and 1964. Today both sides of the roadway are now occupied by rows of shops built fr om the late 1920's onwards. Shenley Road itself was widened in the 1950's and is now a busy link between Watling Street and the A I dual carriageway. It is interesting to note in this postcard the absence of any apparent street lighting columns.

30. A postcard taken by Creswell sometime during the Edwardian period of 1901 to 1910. It shows people relaxing at the EIstree, now Aldenham, Reservoir. Boating and fishing have always proved to be popular leisure pastimes at the Reservoir. In the 1920's it was possible to hire a boat for four new pence an hour. During the First World War a German aircraft crashed here and the wreckage was later recovered from the water.

31. These timber-framed cottages in EIstree Village date from the seventeenth century and still survive today, The building sited just before the trees also remains as does the Holly Bush public house, which dates fr om the rnid-fifteenth century.

32. The building in the left hand foreground is the Plough public house which remains today. After the gap comes the E1stree Manor House, which was several hundred years old, followed by the row of mock-tudor houses. All of these buildings were demolished in the 1960's. The bus stop in the left foreground reminds us that EIstree and Boreham Wood were first connected to the regular bus service in 1922. The bus route was number 13 which was renumbered 306 in 1924. These were single deck motorised vehicles, The famous double deckers were not seen in the parish until the 1930's.

J ;'.

- '!'

33. Furzehill Road, Boreham Wood started life as a cart track but was widened and improved under the Enelosure Act of 1776. That law required such roads to be twenty feet wide, covered with gravel and ballast and have a twenty feet verge on each side. The sloping of the road considerably improved the drainage. In 1897 a public enquiry was held by the Parish Council to prevent landowners encroaching onto the road verges.

., ..,

. .

v -,

Elstree Church

34. An attractive postcard view of Saint Nicholas Church and the graveyard. It was one of a series of postcards by Chester Vaughan. The cemetery was extended in 1882. Interred there are the remains of a famous murder victim of the 1820's, William Weare. Perhaps the best remembered Rector of Saint Nicholas was the Reverend A.R.T. Eales, M.A. who was at the church fr om 1898 unti11945. He even featured in a postcard photograph.

35. A High Street view of Saint Nicholas Church. There is a mention of a chapel at EIstree as far back as 1188. Saint Nicholas was rebuilt twice in 1360 and then again in 1853. Some of the features and building materials from the earlier church were retained and incorporated in the 1853 rebuilding. The cottages in front of the church were demolished in the 1950's.

36. The Green Dragon public house in EIstree High Street photographed during the First World War period. Local historians believe that this building, together with three adjoining properties, once formed a single large tirnber-framed house, possibly more than 400 years old. The brick facing is assumed to have been added about 200 years ago. Today only the Green Dragon building remains, although no longer a public house. However, the name has been retained by a similar establishment situated in Boreham Wood.

37. Edwarebury House, off Barnet Lane, photographed in the winter of 1927. This was the home of Sir Arthur Trevor Dawson who donated a lychgate to Saint Nicholas Church in 1909. He also owned land in Boreharn Wood, sorne of which the Elstree Parish Council purchased for allotrnents in 1924. The cost was just over ;(20 an acre.

38. The village school ehildren were all dressed in their Sunday best clothes for this class photograph taken on 13th September 1910. It is one of the earliest photographs of loeal youngsters yet to be discovered.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,