Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards

Author
:   Paul Welsh
Municipality
:  
Province
:   Hertfordshire
Country
:   United Kingdom
ISBN13
:   978-90-288-3013-4
Pages
:   80
Price
:   EUR 16.95 Including VAT *

Delivery time: 2 - 3 working days ((subject too). The illustrated cover may differ.

   


Fragments from the book 'Elstree and Boreham Wood in old picture postcards'

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

39. Woodcock Hillieading from the Elstree crossroads. The photograph was taken in the early 1900's. In the left foreground stood a sec1uded cottage and up on the right is the entrance to Woodcock Hill Farm which remains in operation today. Woodcock Hill forms part of Barnet Lane, one of the roadways that had to be widened and improved under the Enelosure Act of 1776. That act allowed for the dividing up of Boreharn Wood Common amongst local residents, landowners and the local church.

40. The Red Lion public house, which has since been demolished, was situated in Green Street, Boreham Wood. lt was a friendly establishment which only served beer and not spirits. The building probably began life as a private house. Green Street remains the main raad link between Boreham Wood and the nearby village of Shenley.

El tr e ïllng<:

41. The postcard, from a series by Chester Vaughan, shows some long since demolished timber-framed cottages and on the left a playing field for EIstree School. The population of E1stree Parish rose very slowly prior to the 1930's. The 1801 census shows a population of 286 people living in 51 houses, including those in this photograph. By 1871 this had only risen to 525 people and by 1901 the level had only increased to 1,323 people. Today the Parish of EIstree, which includes Boreham Wood, has around 28,000 residents,

42. The title of this postcard, 'Elstree Station Road' is slightly misleading. lt is true that the road does lead to the EIstree and Boreharn Wood Railway Station but this is actually a photograph of Allum Lane. On the Jeft hand side is clearly visible Nicholl Farm, the building of which date from the 1500's. However, the site may weil have been occupied for many hundreds of years longer. Indeed, the words Boreham Wood are apparently a corruption óf Bosci De Boreham which roughly trans1ated means 'wood by the hilI homestead'. lt is therefore possible, although unproved, that a dwelling place on the site of Nicholl Farm indirectly gave the town its name.

43. The postcard shows the top of Theobald Street in the early 1900's, taken from the junction with Shenley Road. On the right is the original Crown public house. The building dates from the seventeenth century but was modemised in the Victorian period and, although no longer a public house, still remains today. The feneed area in the foreground is remembered by some elderly residents as being a pound for stray farm animals.

?...

?.... _-~.~.- .?. .,

:-'.:1b..eq b . I

44. An early postcard of Theobald Street which connects Boreham Wood to Radlett and Watling Street. Although some have survived, many of these large detached properties were demolished to make way for new housing developments. The road itself has since been widened.

45. Football has always been a popular pastime in Boreharn Wood and today the town boasts its own football ground, complete with club house and a successful team. This photograph is thought to show the 1904 winning team from Boreharn Wood of the Hertfordshire Charity Cup.

46. A long view of Shenley Road taken in 1912. Except for All Saints Church dorninating the picture, it clearly shows the rural nature of this part of the parish at that time. On the right hand side of the photograph it is possible to see farmland stretching down the road itself. In the late 1920's and 1930's shopping parades were to be built along that part of Shenley Road together with the construction of Cardinal Avenue and Whitehouse Avenue.

47. Members of the Boreham Wood Branch of the Womens Institute photographed outside of the All Saints Church Vicarage. They were obviously very proud of winning the trophy held by the gentleman seated in the front row. The picture was taken by Len Beattie who ran alocal photographic business and was also a stills photographer at Elstree Studios. The business is continued today by his son Cyril. Unfortunately many of Beattie senior's negatives were destroyed in the 1970's.

48. Another winter view of EIstree Hili South with·Hill House on the left and the old chapel on the right, This and many other photographs of local views were taken by one lady from the 1920's until the 1960's. Sadly, when she died most of this possibly unique collection was accidentally thrown away.

<<  |  <  |  1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7  |  8  |  >  |  >>

Sitemap | Links | Colophon | Privacy | Disclaimer | Delivery terms | © 2009 - 2019 Publisher European library,